JSA - no decision more than a week later?

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:25 am 
Post subject: JSA - no decision more than a week later?
Wondering if anyone can help. My OH was temporarily laid off on 22nd Nov. He applied for JSA on the 23rd and went for an initial interview at the jobcentre on Monday the 26th. He was told to come back to sign on Monday just gone (3rd Dec) but when he was there he asked about ppayment and the advisor asked about him receiving a letter which he hasnt. She said he should have by now and to phone up. He did yesterday and was told no decision had been made yet! So now i am sitting here worried sick about how we are going to survive.
The thing is he was laid off in 2010 for 3 months and the whole time he was off, he received about £200 in total and he had to hound them for that. So what if they do the same this time. Only this time we have a house and 2 kids so its not as simple.

Anyone any advice/experience?

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:00 am 
Post subject:
I'd keep ringing them Jenna. If he's actually signed on he should get a payment the week after from what I remember from working there so as soon as the decision has been made it would be released. Also in the meantime if you're struggling you could try to apply for a crisis loan. What terrible timing.. hope you're okay x

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:12 am 
Post subject:
But is it normal for it to take this long for a decision to be made in the first place? He has received no letters whatsoever from them, only a text to tell him the day of his initial interview. And when he questioned it to the woman he spoke to yesterday she just kept sayin "no decisions been made you'll need to phone back in a few days". What help is that?!
Really [*CENSORED*] off at how my OH works full time to support his family with no benefits and when he gets laid off through absolutely no fault of his own, he is struggling to recieve anything yet junkies are getting more money than OH for sitting on their backside and getting sick pay, housin benefit, council tax benefit, free bus pass, the lot! This country is a disgrace.

Sorry for ranting Embarassed

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:37 am 
Post subject:
Payments are usually made a week in arrears and the first payment is 2 weeksafter the initial appounintment and covers the period between phoning and the appointment but I think like sick pay they don't pay the first 3 days. So you might not get a payment til next week which will be for 26th to 3rd.

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 am 
Post subject:
He isnt off sick, he was laid off along with half the workforce as his company didnt have enough work for them all at this time of year.
Just a bit concerned that he hasnt even been given a decision yet. If he was told his claim had been accepted and received confirmation that he would be paid within a couple of weeks but as it stands we dont have a clue if he'll get any money at all.

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:54 am 
Post subject:
I didn't say he was sick? I said I think it WORKS like sick pay. I ha e be er had a problem with JSA. It is usually paid 1 week after the initial appointment but due to the short amount of time between him phoning. and the appointment he may not get paid til next week which covers the period from his 1st appointment and signing on this week. Like the tax credits decision letters turn up after the payment!

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:16 pm 
Post subject:
K sorry the way you said it, i thought you thought it was sick leave.
Thanks, hopefully he'll get money then but really dunno what to do til then, basically living on 110 a week atm (CB and child tax)

fifitrixibelle
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:21 pm 
Post subject:
Jenna remember if youre on jsa you may also be entitled to help with housing benefit and council tax benefit but you should apply asap as I've heard it takes ages to get it sorted.

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:22 pm 
Post subject:
fifitrixibelle wrote:
Jenna remember if youre on jsa you may also be entitled to help with housing benefit and council tax benefit but you should apply asap as I've heard it takes ages to get it sorted.

I've already applied for that online, just received the declaration today to sign and take to the housing with all the evidence i need to show so hopefully that will get sorted soon. X

tashamo3
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:46 pm 
Post subject:
Hi I was made redundant on the 25th sept so I applied for JSA straight away and I only just got my first payment 2 weeks ago and it wasnt backdated, I think at think at the moment its taking ages

x
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:52 pm 
Post subject:
tashamo3 wrote:
Hi I was made redundant on the 25th sept so I applied for JSA straight away and I only just got my first payment 2 weeks ago and it wasnt backdated, I think at think at the moment its taking ages

x

It should have been backdated to the date you first made the claim, the only time they dont pay out is if you left your job then they dont pay for 6 weeks.

I would query that.

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:10 pm 
Post subject:
The way I understand it is if you left your job - they don't pay fullstop actually.

That is how it worked for my OH when he chose not to renew his contract with his employer because they added a bucket load of hours and responsibilities to his role without any pay increase, and after 2 years being unable to find another job (yes - 2 YEARS!) the JSA still wouldn't pay out because he voluntarily left his last job.

I know. Seriously.

x

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:16 pm 
Post subject:
Yeah if you quit your job voluntarily then there is a pretty good chance you wont get JSA at all. You can appeal it but i guess you'd need to have a really good reason for quitting.
Bu if you are refused JSA you can claim hardship apparently Confused

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:43 pm 
Post subject:
my sisters husband quit, and they started paying him, then realised they shouldnt have been so stopped his money for 6 weeks, and they have always told me that if you left voluntarily, and it also used to be if you had taken temp work and the contract ended, but i think they changed that because it was putting people off taking work.

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:49 pm 
Post subject:
found this on the jobseekers information leaflet

If you left your job
If you chose to leave your job, we’ll ask for the reason why. You
need to show that you had ‘just cause’ for leaving. Your last
employer may be asked to comment on any statement you
make.
Jobcentre Plus will make a decision based on a number of
things, which include whether it was reasonable for you to take
the action you did.
If we decide that you left your job without just cause, you may
lose your benefit for between 1 and 26 weeks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular