Is this an allergy?

lysianassa
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:38 pm 
Post subject: Is this an allergy?
Sebastian looooves raisins and grapes but I've noticed that every time he has them he gets a sore bum. Is this an allergy or just coincidence?

123babycakes
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:57 pm 
Post subject:
Nope, not an allergy, just the natural way that grapes and raisins affect little people! I think it's the same as plums and dates, they have a laxative effect. My LO love grapes and raisins, but I have to really limit them, to perhaps 3 or 4 at a time, they go right through him!

It was the same with my DD when she was little, now she's nearly 7 she eats them by the bucket load with no after-effects. I think it must just be an issue with ability to digest, when they're little their insides just can't cope with them.

15.08.09 Gone but never forgotten
An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth, then whispered as she closed the book "Too beautiful for Earth"
lysianassa
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:15 pm 
Post subject:
I gave him a handful of raisins today and his entire bum, including cheeks and a little bit of his scrotum, has turned bright red. Plus he's had a few really loose nappies. I think I'd better stop giving him them for a while now. Seems a shame because when he gets fussy I know he will eat these. Sad

How old was your daughter when she stopped getting this?

123babycakes
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:20 pm 
Post subject:
I can't remember exactly, but she always loved raisins, and would eat them by the boxful (the little treat boxes). I would guess she was probably 18 months to 2 years. After that she was fine. She still eats them everyday. Thank goodness they count as 1 of their 5 a day!

15.08.09 Gone but never forgotten
An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth, then whispered as she closed the book "Too beautiful for Earth"
Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:27 pm 
Post subject:
Yes it is possible for him to have a reaction/allergy. They don't always manifest in the ways we usually think (wheezing/rashes etc..) food allergies can sometimes just affect the intestines /stomach and his bowel movement if it contains the food that bothers him when on his bottom can cause a sore rash. It's not very common but certainly possible.

Although as babycakes said it could just be the laxative effect that's doing it.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular