gas & electric WTF

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:12 pm 
Post subject: gas & electric WTF
I have had my bill today, and as of 17th November I was £94 in arrears, but made a payment on 1st december so currently £13 in arrears.

Npower have now decided to increase my payments by £12 a month to £93. I phoned them up to query and was told its because my monthly useage is £78. But working back since I moved in I have spent £848, and over 12 months (but its actually 13 months and a few weeks since i moved in) it averages £69, and what they estimate the next 12 months to be of £669 works out to £55 a month.

So I went on Uswitch and according to them I could save £49 a year on a different plan with Npower, so I phoned Npower and told I couldnt switch until the end of my fixed term in March unless I paid £20 per fuel!(robbing b*******s) and even according to Uswitch I should only being paying around £59 a month.

Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:52 pm 
Post subject:
I think I'm supplying gas and electric for my whole street. My gas is £95 a month and the electric is £91. I am in debit on the electric and only just in credit on the gas. They are all ripping us off.

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:19 am 
Post subject:
Bills are shocking aren't they Rolling Eyes I do think they're too quick to put payments up as well Confused Mine went from 140 a month (dual fuel) to 180 last winter Shocked and then next time they read 6 months later went down to 120 because I'd overpaid so much Rolling Eyes
I only pay by DD so they'll be the same all year and they still keep yo-yo'ing all the bloomin' time Confused
Sometimes its worth ringing back as you might get someone more helpful who see's your side of things as far as the payment increase goes Question
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:26 am 
Post subject:
DL05 wrote:
Bills are shocking aren't they Rolling Eyes I do think they're too quick to put payments up as well Confused Mine went from 140 a month (dual fuel) to 180 last winter Shocked and then next time they read 6 months later went down to 120 because I'd overpaid so much Rolling Eyes
I only pay by DD so they'll be the same all year and they still keep yo-yo'ing all the bloomin' time Confused
Sometimes its worth ringing back as you might get someone more helpful who see's your side of things as far as the payment increase goes Question

they did agree to keep the payments down to be reviewed in 6 months.

i am looking to switch, but the only companies that are coming up cheaper are ones iv never heard of. But out of the big companies the difference was only around £15 a year,and scottish power were actually £5 MORE! and they are always ringing me to switch to them.

Sainsburys were coming in £50 a year cheaper, and I often get nectar points offers to switch, so may go with them, as I think they supply through EDF?

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:42 am 
Post subject:
The new government ruling comes in during 2014 but I know that Eon have already started with contacting people about being on the right tariff or what is best for the customer. It's one of those things that other than changing there really is no consumer power over the prices.

I am with Atlantic (we only have elctricity) and every march I owe them £95 and by September it is clear again - they never up my payments to compensate for it as it averages out through the year.

Makes me angry how they can justify rising prices, esp when the price of oil went down

xx

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:00 pm 
Post subject:
EON are always trying to put our payments up - even when we're in credit. I always tell them if they do that I'll switch and that normally stops them. I ought to shop around really

Hana22
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:02 am 
Post subject:
I'm on prepayment for both gas and electric both with eon. My electric is not to bad around 10-15 pound a week but my gas is riduculas !!! I can easily spend a fiver a day on it if I have heating on constantly so winter months are very bad! Last year had a statement from November 2011 to April 2012 and i had put a bit over 400 pound on the card! This year just can't afford to put it on , have it on a few hours of a morning and a bit of an evening then me and my lo get in bed with hotwater bottles and a electric heater on. I know prepayment are more expensive and have considered a direct debit bill but id be worried about it being to much for me to afford. It's stupid that people are struggling to keep warm and it's just going to get worse. My dad brought a wood burning stove in summer , I thought he was barmy but I tell u what he was spot on to , his gas bill is hardly anything, and the stoves are twice the price to buy now its winter. If I could I'd be having me one of them!!!
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:34 am 
Post subject:
I have this every year!! I'm never in arrears with mine (British gas) and can actually accumulate a right credit with them. Last year I was £300+ in credit Shocked they contacted me to put my electric DDI up by about £10 /mth despite being in credit...I asked why and they said they 'predict' I'll need to..wtf! ! I'm in credit and you want to increase my monthly payments on my electric...the one bill that remains the same (all our heating etc is gas!!!)

They said the best way to 'save' money was to enter into one of these tariffs which I refuse to do cos then your locked in for a minimum term..no ta! !
Robbing barstewards! !!
I wish I could do the pre payment thing but it's the inconvenience of it lol toppingit up and ensuring you have enough to cover holidays etc
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:10 am 
Post subject:
You dont want to be on prepay lol its an absolute fortune! My OHs brother had a pre pay meter in his old flat and he was putting like a tenner a day into the meter! And he didnt even use that much.

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:24 am 
Post subject:
Oh really?..I always figured it'd be cheaper paying direct.
So whichever way you pay they are all robbing barstewards!!
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:45 am 
Post subject:
Yeah pretty much lol Its definitely not cheaper. Prepay meters are generally used by people who aren't considered to be trusted to pay a bill or people who live in rented accomodation (if the landlord wants to make sure he doesnt get left with any debts from a past tenant for example) otherwise avoid it at all costs lol i was lucky that my council flat had a bill meter when i moved in, i was so worried it wouldnt be cos i knew how much pre pay cost.

RacheynHarry
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:44 pm 
Post subject:
We are with Utility Warehouse for both gasand electric and are on pre payment meters and we have to put on between £10 - £15 every 5 days or so on each. Its ridicuous. We're trying to transfer to Utilita as they are the cheapest for us and my mum and sister are with them too and say they dont put on as much as me.

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:57 pm 
Post subject:
I have a prepay electric meter and put 20 a fortnight ish on and 20 a week on gas. I started this quarter 200 pounds in credit :/ were with npower.. X

Jump to:  

Community

Popular