High risk pregnancy

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:46 pm 
Post subject: High risk pregnancy
im asking this for my sister, she is about 7-8 weeks pregnant and due to diabetes is high risk.

she has notified the diabetic team at the hospital as she was under them whilst TTC and they have said they need a mw referal.

she has seen the mw today and has a scan date for 11th jan, which would put her around 13 weeks.

i would have thought they would have had her in sooner due to being high risk? so far it just seems that no one is putting her down as high risk?

im just worrying as its my little sister and i want to make sure she is looked after properly.

Xxxpolxxx
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:23 pm 
Post subject:
I'm high risk as well and my first scan was 12 weeks as its harder to date before this. But mine is different from diabetes xx
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:12 pm 
Post subject:
I'm not a 'high' risk as such but because of my past loss & my platelet problem i was seen as a concern but still only scanned at 13 weeks !

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:05 pm 
Post subject:
yep I'm the same I'm high risk as well and wasn't scanned until 14 weeks, once they see you at the hosp at your scan they seem to take notice of high risk then.

Does it say high risk in her notes or did the mw just verbally tell her? My mw gave me a score (apparantly everyone has one but most mw's don't tell you what it is).

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:33 pm 
Post subject:
Tracey - im not sure, as she was already under a team at the hospital whilst TTC as they needed to keep a better track of her sugars, and they told her she needed to get a mw referral to the consultant.

her doctors are a bit useless tbh as she phoned to see what she had to do and they asked her to take a pee sample in, and when she phoned for the results they had only checked it for infections, not pregnancy!

lysianassa
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:58 am 
Post subject:
I was considered high risk with this pregnancy but only until they could confirm the baby was in the right place. The mw was useless but my GP was fantastic - I'd suggest going through a different doctor instead of the mw.

ShevAndNissyNoo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:57 am 
Post subject:
My sister in law is diabetic and was only seen for her usual 12 week scan this time. Xx

xxVictoriaxx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:31 am 
Post subject:
I think it's later on in the pregnancy that you get extra monitoring/scans.
I was high risk, I did get an early scan but my consultant said it was only for my own reassurance, not for any medical reason as there's nothing they can do so early on. I only started getting consultant appoinments from 16 wks & more scans from 20 weeks where I was scanned every 4 weeks until 36 weeks, this was due to a placental abruption in my previous pregnancy so they wanted to keep monitoring the function on the placenta & baby's growth.
Although my consultant is fab, she wouldn't see me until 16 wks and I got the idea that that's pretty standard with high risk care?
I hope everything goes well for her xx

Xxxpolxxx
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:14 pm 
Post subject:
my extra appointments only started last week so maybe 16 weeks is the standard week for the extra care to start xx
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:25 pm 
Post subject:
I think its later on in the pregnancy that they'd monitor it more, and especially near the end..extra growth scans etc
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:01 am 
Post subject:
Yes they deffo get extra scans etc towards the birth. I'm consultant led this time round and my appointment isn't until around 15 weeks xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular