the volume of a feed needed by a bottle-fed baby

mrsLA
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:19 pm 
Post subject: the volume of a feed needed by a bottle-fed baby
hey everyone i know there is a formular in which the hospital use to work out the minimum requirment but my baby isnt drinking as much and i know if shes drinking less that through the formula they use then she isnt getting enough...i know its something to do with their weight but cant find a thing on google
MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:52 pm 
Post subject:
if you look on the back of formulae boxes they will say... its about 90ml / 3oz every 4 hours for a newborn, going up as they get older. How they work out for BF babies is simply by making sure they gain weight.

We followed a hospital programme as Poppy was in SCBU for a week, I don't know how they worked it out, but by day 4 she was on 48 - 58ml every 4 hours which increased to 68ml by day 5, and 78ml by day 6, bearing in mind she was 5 weeeks prem.

Be assured tho that feeding is calculated for every 24 hours, so your baby has 2 small feeds then one big one, it is OK... and as your baby starts weaning she will want less too as the food will supply her with some nutrients that the milk would give her.

xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular