Fighting sleep! Help with the 5 S's...anyone have tips?

carrieandalaina
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 am 
Post subject: Fighting sleep! Help with the 5 S's...anyone have tips?
OK, so my little girl fights her nighttime sleep(and sometimes her daytime naps). I watched the "Happiest Baby on the Block" DVD, and I've tried those techniques but I'm not sure if I am doing it right, because she still screams and fights going to sleep. She cries so hard she soaks her blanket in tears. Sad

Swaddling--fights it but it does help her sleep longer
Side/stomach--responds sometimes but for a few seconds
Shushing--sometimes screams louder when I do this! Question
Swinging--sometimes responds, but is usually screaming so much that I don't think she realizes she is swinging
Sucking--takes the pacifier for awhile but then spits it out and starts screaming again

I go back to work soon, and I would like to help her fall asleep faster and without a fight, so I can maybe get some sleep, too!
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:43 am 
Post subject:
how old is she?

is she overtired when you put her down, as that can make them fight sleep, so try putting her down before she gets too tired.

or if you are putting her down when she is not tired can have the same effect.

are you trying to get her into a routine with sleep? or just going by what she wants?

carrieandalaina
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:57 pm 
Post subject:
Whoops, forgot to put her age: she is 8 weeks old. I've had her on a schedule for a few weeks now: Bathtime, lotion, feed, relax, then sleep. I'm trying to put her down before she's tired, but it took me awhile to realize that was why she was crying during the day. I'm worried that her schedule is a little reversed or something, because what she's been doing at night is waking up an hour after I put her down and then seems wide awake, but then goes back to being tired (does that make sense). And she seems to sleep a lot during the day. She still fights her daytime naps sometimes, but is getting better about those. And also when she finally goes to sleep at night, she'll sleep for a minimum 3 hours and max 7 1/2 hours. It is just a matter of her falling asleep.
MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:45 am 
Post subject:
I would keep going with the routine if you are happy to - it does take babies a while to recognise what is next. Do you lie her flat (I know you said on the side etc didn't work)? We had to prop the moses basket at an angle (so her body was at an angle) for several months as Evie screamed whenever she was on her flat back or side.
Something else I found worked was giving naked time for a while each evening, put a towel down to soak the wee but the kicking and feeling of air and freedom worked wonders for us.

I would say that between 3 - 7 hours at this age very good. Good luck

xx

Clairebear30
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:15 am 
Post subject:
Hey - ive not watched the dvd u mention but dy default may have tried some of them like rocking swaddling sshhhinh etc

Heres what worked for issy from early on n we try to stick to it still- for ussy routine is vital!
Even if in different place the routine at night remains

At night - depending on her naps in day n how tired she is (issy only napped long in the day when cery little by 8 weeks plus she wouldnt nap much - but by 6 weeks slept from 10pm till 7am n by 12 weeks from 7pm so i figured id cope with her not sleeping much in day) we got her ready for bed around 6.30. Sometimes bath but wash if not - let her kick a while with no nappy on on mat that absorbs so can wee etc n ok - put relaxing classical or in her case elton john my song (no idea why !!) on n talked about what washing etc as did it ie face eyes etc - pjs etc on n milk by 7pm - leaving 2oz in bottle - then off to bedroom soft lights on, put in sleeping bag turned her slumberbear on wave sound - she had this bear since day one n itways settled her if she woke in few weeks old etc - maybe look into one - then rest of bottle - twinkle twinkle sang to her as cuddle n rock then put in her cot with teddy. Apart from handful of times this has sent her off - sumtimes now she talks for abit or if sum pain she cries n i pat her tum n ssshhh her or talk gently works better for some reason - about anything like time to sleep n whats cooking etc - n she settles n goes. We also got a lightshow thing with music she likes n looks at when first put her down so not dark horrible room on own - have u anything like that?

Issy was in moses basket in our roomtill 12 weeks so routine was bit different b4 - wed do the above but put her in basket in living roomwith us n tv on etc n it would take 20 mins sumtimes for her to go - i think next time id put them in another room rather so like she does now as think can sleep better.
She only had dummy for few weeks n by ur lo age would spit it out n soon she will just chew it i bet

Once u find ur lo likes ull have it sorted - it took me a while as first time mum n even now i cant make her sleep if she doesnt want to - yestersay she refused to have a morning nap so from 8am till 7pm had 30 min sleep all day!!! But their sleep needs change n no baby is the same so i just work on what she needs n me lol n try different things - good luck x
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:21 pm 
Post subject:
The doctor switched her from Zantac to Prevacid to see if that helps with her acid reflux, because that *might* be be a factor in keeping her up. We have had her at an angle in her bassinet since the 2nd week. I think another thing is that she is overtired, like steph181 said. I'm trying to watch her better during the day to notice when she is tired and then lay her down immediately, so that she knows it is OK to sleep then. It has already helped a lot more during the day.

We've also slightly changed her bedtime routine, instead of bath first, I am feeding her first and then giving her a bath/lotion, and reading a story. She goes down a little easier, but then usually wakes up 1 1/2-2 hours later, hungry. The last 3 nights, she has eaten and then gone immediately back to sleep, which is nice. She has been waking up more frequently the last few days, but after I attend to her, she goes right back down, which is a huge improvement, b/c before she would scream for awhile before going back to sleep.

I guess it is just a learning process for both of us. I think people forget to tell you how hard it is! Thank you for the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular