how long do i pump for on each breast?

zachariahelijahmalakaimum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:31 pm 
Post subject: how long do i pump for on each breast?
my boobs were killing me so i have found my pump out and have expressed just under 2oz off each side......i am just wondering how long should i be pumping for to ensure i am doing it properly. x

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:04 am 
Post subject:
Is your Baby here yet or are you still pregnant? If still pregnant I'm not sure you should be pumping. Also they don't recommend pumping for the first 6 weeks as it can mess with your milk supply, your body will think your Baby is feeding more and therefore just make more milk.

If you feed on demand your milk will settle down and it does get so much easier I promise.
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:02 am 
Post subject:
Soz not explain much have i lol i have had baby last week n want to express milk to feed him

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:19 am 
Post subject:
When I was expressing in the hospital I was told to do it for 10 minutes on each side. Later on (cause I was worried about supply) I used to express until my boob felt empty (hope that makes sense) I dont think there's a right and a wrong - as long as you are producing enough milk for baby - you can always increase your supply by pumping more and decrease it by pumping less.

I heard lots of people say about losing your supply when you pumped rather than had the baby on - so I expressed as much as possible and froze lots. I personally never found that my supply went down but I was only expressing for about 4-5 weeks as baby managed to latch on after that.

Hope that helps Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular