Constipated baby

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:15 pm 
Post subject: Constipated baby
Hi ladies

I'm hoping someone can offer advice.... My lo who is 16 months has been suffering terrible constipation. She will push and push for hours on end and then produces rock hard poop the size of golf balls. Every so often she has an explosive nappy. She seems to be suffering a lot more with this since being put on cows milk a couple of months ago. Is there anything I can do to improve things for her?!? I resorted to giving her some lactose today, but don't really want to have to rely on that if I can get away with it.

Thanks xx
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:52 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Hun

My little boy suffered the same with constipation and we were advised by the doctor to give him some diluted apple juice twice a day. It took a few days, but he now goes at least once every two days and is much better than before. He also eats loads of fruit, so I expect that helps.

It's awful watching them struggle so I know how you must be feeling. Try the apple juice and lots of fruit/veg. Hopefully you'll get the same results as us.

Vics
xx
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:13 pm 
Post subject:
My eldest had this when she was younger, he ended up having movicol for a while. She has been fine since. Try nd make sure your lo has lots of fluids.

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:50 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Ladies

Thanks for replying. I will try the apple juice (although when I have been googling it says apples can cause constipation,or is that just in the raw form?!?). I am forever shoving a beaker at her, offering her fluids, so I will make sure nursery do the same. It seems to have got worse over the last few weeks, which coincidentally is when her mid morning bottle was dropped (she now just has one in the morning and one before bed), so I will check again with nursery what she is drinking throughout the day.

Thanks

xx
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:51 pm 
Post subject:
Vics, how much applejuice do you give your lo, is it literally just a couple of ounces each time? x
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:49 pm 
Post subject:
Hi hun

It depended on how big the beaker was. I would treat it like a glass of squash and put in about an inch, then fill with water. He seemed to drink this more than just water.

TMI alert...If he really struggled I would help him go by gently pulling his anus apart. This always made a bit more room and once he got the first bit out, he would be able to manage the rest much better. Not the nicest thing to do, but it did help him a lot.

I hope your LO gets better hun, as it really is upsetting when you feel helpless.

xx
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:00 pm 
Post subject:
Hi hun, my LO started this when she was about 20 months old. She was in a right state and the longer she held in for the harder it was for her to get anything out and it was stale and acidic when it did finally come out so it was 'burning' her bum just turning it into a big viscious circle!

I took her the doctors as I was worried she's cause herself problems but the doctor said it was 'idiopathic constipation' which is apparantly one of the biggest things doctors see baby's and toddlers over. Its called idiopathic because they control it themselves (my LO would visibly fight with arched back and knees clamped together to stop herself from going to the toilet).

Anyway he gave me Movecol and after a few days they can't control it if you know what I mean and she had a good ol' clear out. They usually grow out of it by the time they're about 3 but it wont do any harm and if the fruit juices and fluids don't help (they didn't help mine, she's constantly drinking) then get some Movecol off your doctor.

xx
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:03 pm 
Post subject:
my daughter is the same as lillys, she eats and drinks well, but often gets to the point where she is holding her poo in.

I use lactulose and it usually works a treat after one dose.

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:53 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Ladies, the Hv advised us to give her lactulose twice a day for a week, and then once a day for a month, then not sure what happens then, so fingers crossed this starts to make things a little easier for her. xx
Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:28 am 
Post subject:
I was going to suggest lactulose. It does work.
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:32 am 
Post subject:
I've given my daughter Calfig which seems to do the trick.xx
hisstarfir3
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:50 am 
Post subject:
I always gave my son fat from pork chops.or chicken worked like a charm. Get it real soft and put in mouth
EmzandFlick
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:20 pm 
Post subject:
I would never give my child the fat from pork chops! Can't see how that would help!
Anyways, Flick has suffered from constipation for about 12 months and we give her movicol twice a day x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular