Money, posted in general chat as well

Hunternatasha
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:04 pm 
Post subject: Money, posted in general chat as well
Hi
Me and my partner are trying for a baby and would really like some advice...
We have a mortgage together and our joint yearly income is around £39,636
I am 24 and my partner 22
I was wondering if we would get any kind of financial help from the government at all?
I would be planning on taking 6 months maternity and then go back into work full time. Is that a bad idea? I would love to be a stay at home mum but i just don't think we could afford to have one income, please can anyone tell me your experiences regarding finances and advice about returning to your job, how long to take off with your newborn
Thanks
natasha
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:42 pm 
Post subject:
If you go to www.entitled2.com there is a calculator that works out what you might be entitled to. You can play around with different scenarios to see what would work best. Although tax credits threseholds are constantly changing each year, so you might get something if you already had a baby now, but when they change the rules in April you might not be entitled to anything.

As long as you have been working for your company 26 weeks by the 15th week before the baby is due you are entitled to 6 weeks at 90% pay, then 33 weeks at a flat rate of around £125, then a further 13 weeks unpaid.

I worked up to 36 weeks, and was going to go back after 6 months, but we were managing ok so I had the extra 3 months off. I was only going back 20 hours, but then split with my partner and i worked out better for me to do 30 hours as a single parent.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular