Didn't think it started so early

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:00 pm 
Post subject: Didn't think it started so early
My daughter is 2 days old and has had an episode each night of trapped wind. I'm breastfeeding but up until this morning it was just colostrum that she's been getting..so actually didnt think she'd be getting enough to cause actual wind Confused
It seems to be between 2-4am and she gets so upset bless her Sad ..she's such a content little gal normally.
I've just got some infacol today to see if that'll help but I just feel it's still a but early for 'medicines' lol even though it says 'from birth onwards'

Anyone else's baby suffering with gripy winds already?
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:22 pm 
Post subject:
We used infocal with evie from early on, as advised by the HV. It just helps ease the discomfort they have - if it does work for her.

She may be suffering from the 'witching hour' but it is very early on for her to start that I would have thought

xx

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:09 pm 
Post subject:
I remember using it with Oliver but I think he was a week or so before we did. I just think she's still a tiny dot lol
My milk has just come in today so I've just been trying to keep her upright after feeds etc. So we'll see what tonight brings.

Also...what's the 'witching hour'?
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:14 pm 
Post subject:
Yes I was using infacol on and off for Sophie from 5 days old, she had awful colic up until about 10 weeks. Screaming from 7pm-midnight every night! x

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:36 pm 
Post subject:
'witching hour' is theslang term to describe the time when some babies cry for no medical / explainable reason what so ever, and is usually the same time each day until around 3 months.

It can last for several hours (despite it an 'hour') and baby is just inconsolable for that time - Evie had this daily between 3pm and 5.30pm every day though I know of some people say their babies who have it in the night

xx

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:00 pm 
Post subject:
I see Smile I'm assuming its wind as she settle well after a good trump but shes no idea how to do a good trump herself lol...so we have to ride it out till she parts with it, trying every which way possible Sad
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:24 pm 
Post subject:
I cant remember when it was, but I dont think she as very old, but I remember lying on the bed with her pulling her knees up, screaming, red in the face and I was rubbing her stomach and she let out an almighty trump and settled!

I agree with the 'witching hour' ours was 4-7(ish) and lasted well past 3 months!

Lexismum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:52 pm 
Post subject:
Try biclycling her legs, Anais has suffered bad wind since i started bf Sad i also rock her back n forth n give her soine a good straighten when i wind her. It does come up evebtually.

She has days where she will just have a good scream cos she can lol. She also hates the infacol n just spits it out xx

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:23 pm 
Post subject:
Well she's done a mega poo this eve..fed, washed and ready for bed, pooed again and trumps for england!!, I gave her someone that infacol and omg you should have seen the face she pulled Shocked Laughing
Well she had a tiny bit and sat up a bit after feeds so we'll see if any of that works xx
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:12 pm 
Post subject:
My daughter developed bad wind/colic at about 2 weeks old. I do baby massage: long gentle sweeps down from chest to stomach, clockwise circles around her belly, bicycing and bringing her legs gently up to her stomach to help her fart!

I also tried infacol (helped initially), gripe water (okay when i was expressing but she wont keep it down if i use a spoon - pipette etc), dentanox colic drops (she hated this - gagged and puked it up) and colief (expensive - a faff - but it works! I think dr can perscribe it - mine refused!) I would try the cheaper ones first as they may work for you - colief is mch more to do with helping the stomach digest the milk.

She's getting much better now at 10 weeks - she now farts for England - so it doesnt last forever. Smile
ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:07 pm 
Post subject:
mine is the same and is up most the night straining. i started him on.infacol at 2 days old and it has defo helped but he is still bad ay night and seems to struggle to poo. i.am.changing his formula and trying gripe water today! xx

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:08 pm 
Post subject:
mine is the same and is up most the night straining. i started him on.infacol at 2 days old and it has defo helped but he is still bad ay night and seems to struggle to poo. i.am.changing his formula and trying gripe water today! xx

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:33 pm 
Post subject:
Its awful isn't it Erin..seeing them struggle Sad when Oliver was a baby he used to get himself in such a state trying to poo.
My milk came in Friday/Saturday and it's made a bit of difference now she's got rid of all the maconium poo. I've been giving her infacol on an eve (I know it says every feed but she really does hate the stuff) and I gave her a dummy yesterday as she was attached to my boob all night Saturday night more for comfort than food...and the dummy has worked a treat. Last night she slept from 11pm till 9am with 2 feeds Very Happy not sure if it's a one off but it's a step in the right direction at least.
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:09 pm 
Post subject:
aw i am glad you had a better night.

mine is not keen.on a dummy. he spits it out and crys!

travis loves the infacol but gripe water seems to be working better for us. fngers crossed. he wakes every 3 hours for a feed but has started going down easier so hoping it sticks! xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular