how to explain medications to a toddler?! help!

lucycherish
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:24 pm 
Post subject: how to explain medications to a toddler?! help!
Well as it says my daughter is almost three and she has obviously noticed me taking my medication (two tablets daily for epilepsy) now she has started asking what they are and why I'm taking them, as pathetic as this sounds the only answer I could think of was that they are mummys special tablets! I want to be honest with her without scaring or confusing her, she's a bright girl so iv avoided mentioning epilepsy so far but I think if I mentioned epilepsy in an answer about the medication to her then she would question it then how the hell am I supposed to explain epilepsy to a toddler in a way they would understand and not scare her, I have only had one grand mal an that was in may 09 just before I got pregnant with amelia and have had nothin since beginning medication in may 10, I tried hiding and not letting her see me taking the meds to sort of avoid her questioning epilepsy at a young age but I don't want to 'lie' to her when she does ask, any advice would be great, please don't be mean iv had enough of people telling me I shouldn't have my daughter if I'm epileptic! Thanks in advance xxx
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:01 pm 
Post subject:
I would just keep it simple "Its mummy's medicine to keep her healthy". If you dont make it into a big deal maybe she wont either? Good luck. I cant believe people would say you have had her if your epilepic, thats terrible, just ignore that attitude its not even worth dignifying with an answer.
lucycherish
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:04 am 
Post subject:
Thank you for replying, I will do that the next time she asks me, wanna keep it simple for as long as possible, you'd be suprised how many people say stuff like that to me but what they don't get is even though iv been epileptic since I was 9 I wasn't diagnosed or started treatment til I was 19 and had my daughter, really grinds my gears haha! Seems to be older people who say it though which isn't as bad because it was 20-30years ago women with epilepsy weren't allowed or advised not to have kids! I chose my medication based on the fact that I want more kids, so god help all those old woman if they see me with not one but two kids haha!iv had some not so nice view on me ttc too! Just gotta laugh otherwise ud cry lol thank you again for replying xxx
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:33 am 
Post subject:
I am also shocked that people are so rude that you shouldn't have had a baby - lots of peole have difficulties and differences but still go on to have babies (not to mention those who chose to have babies for benefits). I think it is great that you have done so well and putting your health into perspective to plan to have more.

I agree tho, keep it simple at this time, although kids are great at just accepting and taking things on board in their stride.

Thinking ahead tho... Would she understand how to use a phone for an ambulance incase anything ever did happen? You could say something like sometimes mummy suddenly falls asleep and shivers then can't wake up, and if this ever happens call 999?

xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular