Front sleeping yes or no???

mand136
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:57 pm 
Post subject: Front sleeping yes or no???
Hi everyone well i am all googled out reading and researching about front sleeping,i did a post a little while back about Mia not settling in her moses basket,well the getting off to sleep and staying asleep has not got any better Sad

When she is in her moses basket her arms are always moving,she touches the sides and wakes herself up,the other day she hit herself in the face Shocked

I tried her in her cot and she was the same,she has to be laying on my chest to go off to sleep then i can transfer her but she never stays asleep for long Confused

Well today i am really tired and was trying to settle her for 2 hours,she was getting more aggitated as i was holding her and she was getting hot but cried when i laid her down,so i laid her blanket on the sofa,put her on her front and i kid you not she was asleep within 30 seconds and is still asleep and its been 3 hours,i have been sitting with her as i am super worried about her being on her front but apart from a little stretch she has not moved.

I know the back to sleep is the current given advice for sleeping but i have also read of lots of people that have let their babies front sleep so i am really not sure what to do,some have said to let them go to sleep on their fronts and turn them,some have said its fine,others have said no way dont do it so was wondering what you ladies thought? Any advice would be greatly appreciated Very Happy
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:06 pm 
Post subject:
Isabelle much prefered sleeping on her tummy but I held off for a few weeks as I was worried too. Then figured I am always with her when she's asleep so let her do what she wanted - she still tummy sleeps now.

George was exactly the same. He didn't like back sleeping from birth, he's tummy slept since then with no problems. Still more than comfortable on his tummy now and he can roll so could easily change his mind x

Frival
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:13 pm 
Post subject:
We had problems with bobby until we discovered both putting him on his front but what also worked for us was putting him on his side with a rolled cellular blanket at his back.

Faerydae
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:36 pm 
Post subject:
I let Logan sleep on his front for naps during the day because I'm awake to keep an eye on him, I'm too paranoid to let him sleep like that in his own room at night though
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:36 pm 
Post subject:
Lily seems to sleep better when she is on her front, I've done it with her a couple of times during the day but haven't at night yet. I know she can lift her head to move if she needed to. I think if he didn't sleep on her back I'd definatly be inclined to let her sleep on her front.
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:43 pm 
Post subject:
I don't think it is worth the risk. My advice would be to swaddle baby so she can't move her arms. Thats what we did with Max.

Terri xx

mand136
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:32 pm 
Post subject:
Thankyou everyone have to say i am on tenderhooks at the moment! Crying or Very sad

I tried swaddling her and she keeps her arms in but still wakes after being on her back for a while and she really cries and gets very upset because she is awake and cant get her arms free Sad

She woke really calm from her sleep on the sofa,i have her her bath she took 90mls of her bottle and fell asleep on my chest so i have put her in her cot on her tummy and she has not stirred.

Ive got the monitor on but have been up to check on her 4 times already Embarassed i think i will be like this all night tonight!
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:33 am 
Post subject:
Not to scare you but I thought the worry of front sleeping was cot death so I'd be worried breathing had become a problem and not notice until it was too late.

Personally I would persevere and eventually baby will learn to sleep, may be shes not tired or she is over stimulated when she is put down?

Remember at 4 weeks old babies don't sleep well anyway, those that do are rare and some parents do like to stretch the truth as to how good their baby is at sleeping. Max was up every 2 hours for the first 3 months and still up 3 times per night until recently. Now, at 5 months he is still up between 1 & 3 times every night.

May be you could get one of those breathing monitors if you really want baby to sleep on their stomach?

Terri xx

K8andJJ
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:47 pm 
Post subject:
JJ hated sleeping flat on his back, in fact he hated being flat on his back when awake too! He slept for the 1st 5 months in a baby hammock so was slightly curved (closer to how he would've been in the womb) and slept like a baby to coin the phrase Smile For naps we'd put him on a bean bag so again he was slightly curved and he slept for hours, but try putting him a moses basket or any other flat surface and he would scream! Might be worth trying her on a bean bag (cheaper than a baby hammock) to see if this works and if so then you can get 2nd hand hammocks for reasonably cheap on ebay, we used the Amby Nature.

As for sleeping on their front, it is the FSID that recommend to sleep on the back due to the risk of suffocation on the front (something you wouldn't hear on a monitor) so I personally wouldn't want to risk it.

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:13 am 
Post subject:
mand I've never had a back sleeper, and when i had my first the advice as to put babies on their front so they didn't choke Shocked this was back in the days of completely plastic covered matresses as well Shocked I never put my son face down though as i wasn't comfortable with the plastic so close to his face,and he would move his head backwards and forwards all the time as if he didn't like it Rolling Eyes so he went on his side and for me personally that made me feel better, I knew he wouldn't choke and he slept better , i used to do the rolled up blanket thing but by the time I had my last (who was put on his front in the scbu ) they had these special foam things you could buy which he loved as he was supported back and front and it sort of hugged him while he slept Smile
A bit like this one
http://www.epinions.com/review/The_First_Years_Air_Flow_Sleep_Positioner/content_137851801220?sb=1
some docs will recommend side rather than back sleeping for babies with reflux, or other problems that make them sick more than usual Smile (thats why they put prem babies on their front as they can't clear their airway the same )
When the advice changed to back sleeping i didn't like that either as to me its too easy for them to choke if they're sick Question
So I've always carried on with the side sleeping Smile
I know cot deaths have dropped since the advice about sleeping positions etc. was first given out, but as they don't know what causes it they can't be sure exactly which bit of the advice is helping most Question , some research I've seen has suggested its the feet to foot aspect that could be the most helpful as blankets covering babies face and causing over heating or an obstruction could be a cause ,and they've found that co-sleeping on a soft surface such as a sofa is a risk factor no matter how the baby lies Question (again suggestion that it could be more to do with over heating or obstruction and would put me off using a beanbag for a baby to sleep on Question ) for me personally though I was only comfortable with mine sleeping on their front once they could roll themselves over (I did keep all of them in my room right next to my bed for at least 6 months + though as i'm super paranoid about cot death Embarassed with most of them it was more like a year Laughing ) but found the side sleeping the best of both worlds Question ,even my second who loved to be held and wasn't a great sleeper still slept best on her side with support front and back , have you tried Mia that way ? xxx
Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:06 am 
Post subject:
Hiya I would do what you feel comfortable with, mine are both tummy sleepers now they are older, but were always put to sleep on their backs, however as soon as they have been able to roll they went to front sleeping, Archie sleeping better for it and Charlotte just the same (she loves her sleep!)

With regards to sids, I understand since all the reccomendations have been in place deaths have reduced which is good but I personally think there are other things that can cause sids, my son has hyperinsulinism and it is a very rare condition however its on the increase while sids is on the decline? Many people think some sids cases could be the condition my son has undetected and some research has been carried out, I just don't think sids is a clean cut thing, tbh its not something I have ever worried about that much maybe because of other health things, anyway I have waffled!!

But if it was me I would be tempted to let her sleep how she wants to sleep xx

xxVictoriaxx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:56 am 
Post subject:
Sophie would not sleep on her back at all and out of exhaustion I ended up laying her on her front at 6 wks and she slept 8 hrs that night!! She's 13 wks now and sleeps day/night on her front. But I do have an angelcare motion monitor, otherwise I wouldn't have done it - I wouldn't have been able to sleep! So if she were to stop breathing then the alarm would go off. But she also had very good head control from the start too and could lift her head and turn it when on her belly from 6 wks.
Go with your baby and whatever you feel comfortable with. You can check the risk factors for sids and if any of them apply to you then perhaps it's not worth the risk?
xx

Corynn
Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:57 pm 
Post subject:
The best sleep technique is one that meets both baby and mothers sleep requirements with as little crying and fussing as possible. Many a mother, has held a crying baby and shed tears herself. Sometimes you just need a good cry and other times you have to reevaluate your sleep techniques and find an alternate method.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular