reflux - ranitidine & domperidone

boofersmum
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:53 am 
Post subject: reflux - ranitidine & domperidone
hi there, lottie is 8 weeks old & has recently been diagnosed with reflux; hv thought it was this, nurse practitioners said not cos she wasn't being sick....er hello....silent reflux!??!?! he referred to paediatrician who said yes it's reflux!!! he prescribed ranitidine & domperidone but only said how many doses to give (ranitidine is 0.3ml 3x a day, domperidone 1ml 4x a day), not how exactly to give. she's been having them for 10 days, i'm giving the doses after she's finished her bottles early morn, mid morn mid afternoon & early eve. i've seen some ppl have given before a feed, but because often she is all over the place it's difficult to judge when she is due a bottle! & also she screams with hunger that much i'm worried about putting liquid straight into her mouth like that...
what i'm wondering is can they be put into her bottle so she's getting them directly as she's having them????
have got our 8 week check tomorrow & will ask doc then but thought i'd also see what other mums have done/been advised...
thanks x
MarioAndStuntChicken
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:43 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya
Caelyn has these meds also at same dosages and also Im an a and e nurse so i hope i can be of some help. First of all its not neccesary to give these medications with food so pick the times you want to give them. Personally i give them at 0800, 1200 1800 and 2300 for the domperidone and 0800, 1500 and 2300 for the ranitidine - these also just happen to coincide with her feedings. You should have been given them with a syringe so you put the syringe in between her gum and cheek and drop it in gently - at this age babies will automatically swallow but if they do spit it out regularly use a medicine spoon to catch it and scoop it back in - doing this i find she takes virtually the entire dose everytime (trust me babies are a snap to medicate compared to toddlers lol). I would nt advise putting it in her milk because if she only has 1/2 a bottle she doesnt get the full dose and you dont know how much she is absorbing to top it off safely. If you are worried she is going to spit it out because she is screaming with hunger do it either at winding or after the feed when she isnt so hungry and distressed as you have been. There isnt really a right or wrong to before vs after. Hope that helps

boofersmum
Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:27 pm 
Post subject:
that's great thanks very much for that!! they did give me a few of the little syringes & i've been putting it straight into her mouth inside her cheek as you say!! i'll try giving the doses to her at set times of the day rather than before/after her feeds, see if that makes a difference. she's just again had 3.5oz of a 6oz bottle in nearly 50 minutes, straining her head & crying on & off throughout.....she seems to have taken a step back rather than improving...had a few days where she was having the full 6oz & going a good 5/6 hours between feeds, it's gone back to part of a bottle & 3/4 hours between feeds when i thought there would have been an improvement by now!!! will speak to doc tomorrow when go for 8 week check see what he says, but thanks again for your advice. lindsey
MarioAndStuntChicken
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:18 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya
You have my sympathy. Like your daughter my LO doesnt have vomiting (or urping as my OH and i now think of it) as her main problem. She does urp quite a bit but i can cope with that. Its the pain and screaming that upsets me. The domperidone has drastically dropped the incidences of vomiting and she is mostly back to taking full bottles after 2 weeks on the meds but is still getting loads of episodes of what i refer to as post bottle grumbles ( a term which understates it to the max!).

She is now also on a prescription formula called enfamil AR and im back at paeds clinic tommorrow to see if anything more can be done for the colicky symptoms. I started colief today out of desperation as im not really coping that well with it all at the moment and am very down about it all as its horrible to see your baby like that. I

d advise you to see if your gp will refer you to the paediatric doctors at the hospital and mention the formula to them to see if they are willing to let you try it out - it has rice starch in it so its thin in the bottle but thickens in the stomach like a gel to stay down. The only problem is now Caelyn urps what looks like cottage cheese.

I have also been told that early weaning is often indicated in reflux babies from 16 weeks on and have discussed it with my hv who thinks its a good idea but says i shud ask the paed dr to refer me to a dietician to let me know how best to proceed without upsetting her tummy any further. Good Luck!!!#

xxx

geribstewart
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:32 am 
Post subject:
my 7 week old also has silent reflux and i am at breaking point with all the crying and lack of advice from med pros. Can he take his meds with enfamil ar? Docs, HVs and nurses in glos do not give you advice on formula which is v helpful... How long does it take 4 the enfamil to have effect?? HJe's been on ranitidine for 3 weeks now and no joy Sad
Doralewes
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:52 pm 
Post subject:
I have soothed my baby with reflux by putting him on babies magic tea. It's an organic tea that has no preservatives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular