Can a mw date a pregnancy just by hearing baby's..UPDATE..!!

yorkie101
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:01 pm 
Post subject: Can a mw date a pregnancy just by hearing baby's..UPDATE..!!
...Heartbeat on a doppler..???

Just had a txt from a mate (& i use the word very loosely) that her mw has dated her at 10wks pregnant just by hearing babys hb....is it just me or does anyone else think this is very strange..?

She hasn't had an af since Sept, she has been testing since the beginning of Nov & has had abt a dozen or so faint lines, which i told her looked like evaps imo but she went to the gp on Thurs & he has arranged a scan & told her she is 4months pregnant Shocked

Now today after her booking in appt the mw has told her she is 10wks just using a doppler.
Is this even possible..? xx

Last edited by yorkie101 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Xxxpolxxx
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:55 pm 
Post subject:
I dont no but id say no sounds strange to me x
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:07 pm 
Post subject:
I really wouldn't have thought so no. Would be interested to read what happens here Smile

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:08 pm 
Post subject:
i wouldnt have thought you could tell by the heartbeat.. and mws wont usually try and find it unless they know how far along you are.. my mw didnt even look for my babies hb at my 16 week appt.. x
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:24 pm 
Post subject:
Err no not at all. If she has picked up a heartbeat she must be further on into her first trimester or going on last period coukd be in her 2nd. If she is unsure then they usually send you in for a dating scan as soo as. They can tell by palpating on her uterus because if they can feel anything above the pubic bond usually means over 12 weeks
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:27 pm 
Post subject:
I heard this LO heartbeat at dead on 8 weeks but you definitely cant date the pg from a doppler just because each women will hear it at different stages depending on her weight, where the placenta is etc... I would say seems a bit odd but then again surely nobody would lie about something like that, perhaps her doctors operate strangely..?

yorkie101
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:15 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for all the replies ladies. So glad I am not the only one that thinks this is weird.
Can't wait to see what her dating scan says. X
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:44 pm 
Post subject:
maybe the fact that a heart beat can be herd means she has to be at least ten weeks? Question but never herd of pregnancy being dated by HR of baby.

[/url]
hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:47 pm 
Post subject:
I imagine the strength of the heart beat or pace can give the midwife a general idea of gestation however your friend took the guess more literally than intended?
xx
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:05 pm 
Post subject:
I wonder if they have felt her tummy and going by that chanced having a listen in and then as she's heard a HB maybe said that she is at least 10 weeks? I don't know.

I've been able to pick this little bubba up on my Angelsounds for just over a week now and very tricky to find but I know ladies who have found the HB at around 9 weeks xx

yorkie101
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:55 pm 
Post subject:
How quickly does ur womb to back to normal tho cos she only gave birth to baby no3 6months ago it seems as soon as we had announced we were expecting baby no2 she came off the pill 2wks later & had been ttc. Anyway gl to her just a bit peeved she is pg same time as me cos she is such a drama queen abt everything soon it will be my bump this my bump that grrr just not looking forward to hearing it all again so soon.
X
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:40 pm 
Post subject:
100% no u cannot date a pg from detecting a hb. they will only go off last af date until a scan confirms it xx

Lexismum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:39 am 
Post subject:
Sounds likes abit of a [*CENSORED*] to me hun Wink

Just distance yourself from her an enjoy your pg xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:22 am 
Post subject:
The heart rates does slow down gradually from when the heart very first starts beating, so it will change over the first couple of months but it still varies so much from baby to baby as to whats normal I'd say it was impossible to say from a single heart rate Question Chances are its like the ladies said that the midwife actually said she must be at least 10 weeks for them to pick up the heart rate on a doppler , and if they checked her abdomen and couldn't feel her womb then she's probably less than 12 weeks , I know a doc could feel mine at 13 plus 4 last time but all he said was at least 3 months and it was a scan that confirmed dates Smile
Your womb goes back to its normal size very quickly after a pregnancy it shrinks very quickly after the birth and within a few days to a week it can be back to close to how it was and by 4-6 weeks it will definately be back to normal its one of the things they should check for at your post natal Smile xx
yorkie101
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:55 am 
Post subject:
Ok, quick update...

So apprently a hb wasn't heard, the mw has put on her notes "fetal movement heard on the doppler", see what i mean by drama queen.

Still waiting to hear abt a scan date to confirm the dates, I will update again when i know any more Wink xx
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular