Tips for giving a Baby an inhaler

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:04 pm 
Post subject: Tips for giving a Baby an inhaler
Well title says it all really. George has got to have an inhaler for at least a couple of weeks. Today was the first day. He had to have it 4 times and it got increasingly difficult as we went along. I am expecting battles tomorrow.

Anyone got any experience of this that they can share?
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:35 pm 
Post subject:
I have to give my son an inhaler too. I presume that they have provided you with a spacer one with a mask?!
When I give my little boy his and if my DH is here my husband will sit him on his knees because our son hates it he has to hold both arms and gently places the other hand in his forehead to keep his head still. Then I place the mask over his mouth and hold it sort of around his chin so secure and use my other hand for the spray. If I'm on my own I have to put him in his high chair, go behind him and do it that way again holding the mask in place with my hand or sometimes I do it on the floor. I've been doing this on and off for months and my son still hates it.

Hope your son adapts to it unlike mine!
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:19 am 
Post subject:
To be honest you are pretty much going to have to hold him down. Jamie's had to have one twice daily (plus the blue one four hourly when his bad) and he has got better but it took a long time. I find it helps to hold him as if you're going to bf because you can stop his arms moving that way and it means that he can't pull the inhaler away. It also means he can't move his head very far so its easy to follow him with it. It is easier if there's two of you because then you can do it in the way Banoffee suggested. How many puffs do you have to give? If its two its not too bad but if its 10 it can be a fairly horrific experience. We are lucky because Jamie's so used to it now that he generally just stands there and lets us do it.

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:10 pm 
Post subject:
It's 2 puffs, 4 times a day, 10 would be horrific! He actually ran away crying when he saw inhaler today!

He has the one with the mask. I thought it might be a good idea to get him used to just the mask, so showed how to do it and take a breath. He did that fine but as soon as the inhaler bit came out he was having none of it. Manage to sneak up on him whilst he was playing before bed and he wasn't too bad.

I like the way on the instructions to try and avoid doing it whilst the child is crying and to hold it on for 4-6 breaths. Has the person who wrote those instructions even met a one year old!
Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:48 am 
Post subject:
Lol I've never been told not to do it when his crying. When you're in the hospital most of the little kids they're giving it to cry. He only has to have 10 puffs when his first come out of hospital and then it weans down over a few days. Make sure you do let him take at least 5 breaths or he won't really get any of it. Let him play with it and put stickers on it, etc. We also used to pretend to give it to ourself first so he could see there was nothing to be scared of

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:57 pm 
Post subject:
I was told its good if they cry when taking it as it means that they are actually taking it in!

I remember the days of 10 puffs per hour it was a nightmare! I'm hoping my son won't need it forever !

I also tried the let him play with it but its made no difference for my monkey not liking it.
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:01 am 
Post subject:
He was a bit better today. I can only get to have a couple of breaths. I will try for a bit more tomorrow as he seems a bit more excepting. He does seem to be coughing a bit less and wheezing has pretty much gone.
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:44 pm 
Post subject:
So proud of little man. He is now taking his inhaler with no fuss at all, even takes deep breaths for me.x Very Happy
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:26 pm 
Post subject:
Clairebell29 wrote:
So proud of little man. He is now taking his inhaler with no fuss at all, even takes deep breaths for me.x Very Happy

Wow he is good, my little man still hates it and he has been using it on and off for 7 months now!
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:34 pm 
Post subject:
My girl has been using an inhaler since she was 5 months old and has always hated it! The hospital always tell me it's good if she's crying because she's breathing in lots of air, therefore getting the inhaler!

I've found the only thing that works is to sing a song at the same time. When she was little nothing worked as she thought I was suffocating her but now I think she gets it a bit more. She's the same with brushing her teeth, you always have to sing! Whatever works I suppose! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Xx
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:37 am 
Post subject:
Hello my son started with an inhaler just after his 1st birthday and he was just the same as yours. Hated having it and would get quite upset about it.

I was just a case of holding him down and doing it. The hospital told me that it was ok to do while he was crying because he will take it down better.

Lewis is now almost 4 and takes his inhaler so good. He even can do it all by himself!

To be honest it didn't take many weeks of holding him down before he realised that the medicine helped him.

I know it's hard to do but it worked for me.

Good luck xx

sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:37 pm 
Post subject:
DS hated it too, but I would let him play with it first, then he put it over my mouth and then it was my turn to put it over his mouth and I gave him the puffs.. Smile They do eventually get used to it, but much nicer it not being a struggle.

abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:04 pm 
Post subject:
Izzy used to hate it but eventually gave in and doesn't fight it anymore. I suppose if its something they have to have frequently, it becomes more normal and less scary. We just tried not to make it a big deal, nothing to be scared of. (She only has an inhaler every so often when she has a bad chesty cough - she's used it less so far this winter than last).

Jump to:  

Community

Popular