Growth Scans

Jay100
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:15 am 
Post subject: Growth Scans
Morning ladies,

Not sure if this is anything to worry about but I'm 32 + 4 weeks pregnant and have been sent for extra growth scans as I'm quite small in frame.
I had one yesterday and they have said the baby is growing fine, but on the print out for my notes that the ultra sound technician gave me it said estimated fetal weight just over 2 lbs.
Does this seem quite small at this stage in pregnancy?

I know the reason for the growth scans was because they suspected that I would have a low weight baby but they seem to be telling me that everythings fine and then when I saw that it made me worry that the baby isn't putting on the amount of weight it should do.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Call my midwife maybe?

Thanks girls
Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:58 am 
Post subject:
I dont know if that is a normal amount but if you are concerned speak to your midwife. My daughter was 6lb 4 at birth and is perfectly healthy, I know other people who have had healthy 5lb babies too, so a low birth weight doesnt necesarily mean an unhealthy baby.

Good luck
Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:58 am 
Post subject:
I don't think that's that low. If you think that some babies that are premature can be as little as 2 1/2 lbs. I don't think they start laying down their fat reserves until a bit later.

I'm sure they would have said if there was anything to worry about.
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:10 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for your replies girls.

I'm going to try not to worry about it now and maybe just ask my midwife when I see her on the 16th, I've also got another scan at 36 weeks so hopefully by then the weight will be piling on!

I was expecting a 5 or 6lb LO anyway because of my height/weight etc.
As long as they're healthy thats all you can ask for isn't it!
Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:34 pm 
Post subject:
George was 6lb 2oz at 2 and a bit weeks over due and he had no probs other than a little bit jaundice which was nothing to do with weight.
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:35 pm 
Post subject:
Them growth scans are very inaccurate as there is no way to tell what your baby weighs until they arrive but if that was your babys weight its a normal weight! They don't start gaining weight properly until around the last four-six weeks of your pregnancy, plenty of time! Xx
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:36 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you!

Feeling a lot better about it now! xx
kas123
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:30 pm 
Post subject:
you still have almost 6 weeks to go you will be supprised at how much it will grow in the last few weeks. my friend was scanned a lot in the last few months as they said it was small she was born 7lb. most of the growing is done in the last trimester sorry spelt wrong.
Jay100
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:08 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you kas!
Hopefully I'm just worrying over nothing and once bubba comes out it'll be healthy and a good weight!
MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:17 pm 
Post subject:
I would also agree - don't worry. i was the opposite, sent for a growth scan as my consultant thought that I felt small, but scan said fine, however when she was born she had in fact stopped growing which the scan hadn't picked up, so can go either way.

xx

Jay100
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:37 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks MrsOz, I guess hayley2903 is right...you're never going to know how much they'll weigh until they're here. All you can do is hope that they're healthy no matter what the weight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Pregnancy Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular