Cows milk

xxOliverAndMaxsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:33 pm 
Post subject: Cows milk
Hi all

I know it's not recommended to give babies cows milk as a bottle drink before 12 months but they also tell you not to do other stuff like not to wean before 6 months so was wondering when you guys ditched the breast/formula and went onto cow milk?

Max has had cows milk on his breakkie since 4 months of age and he is eating loads of food now (hes 9m 2w) so it seems daft that he can have everything I can have except drinking milk. He's breast and formula combined now so was thinking of ditching formula for the cows milk?

Terri xx

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:43 pm 
Post subject:
I went back to work when George was 10 months. Stopped his morning breastfeed, he hated formula and I couldn't express so gave him cows milk in a beaker. At about 11 months he started refusing breast at night so tried him on beaker of cows milk and he loved it.

Like Max he is a good eater so I wasn't worried he'd be missing out on something although if he had wanted would have carried on with bedtime feed for longer.
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:52 pm 
Post subject:
My son was 11mth when we swithched to cows milk.

How maby formula bottles does he have? Maybe its more to do with the added vitamins in formula that you don't get in cows milk. Could you maybe supplement with some vitamins too?
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:02 pm 
Post subject:
He has about 3 per day.

I've just bought a new box of formula which usually lasts aroung two weeks so I'll re-evalutate then

Terri xx

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:01 pm 
Post subject:
I'm having this same problem! Lola has gone from having 4 bottles over a 24/h period to hating milk altogether! i cant even get one ounce down her :S
totally stuck!
xx
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:20 pm 
Post subject:
hayley2903 wrote:
I'm having this same problem! Lola has gone from having 4 bottles over a 24/h period to hating milk altogether! i cant even get one ounce down her :S
totally stuck!
xx

As long as you are getting a pint of liquid in her everyday (which can include milk on cereal etc) and you are giving the multi vitamin you can get from you HV then all should be ok.

Terri xx

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:25 pm 
Post subject:
Yes she is getting milk through rusk or porridge, etc and plenty of water or baby juice a day!
I'll have to track down my health visitor then, I haven't heard from her since Lola was 8 weeks old :S Xx
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:08 pm 
Post subject:
Do you get her weighed at baby clinic? They'll give you the vitamins

Terri xx

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:36 pm 
Post subject:
Both the doc and the hv told me to swap to cows milk at about 10.5 months because Alex was having such problems toileting. Your right 12 months is the norm but many do it earlier.

ShevAndNissyNoo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:50 am 
Post subject:
We changed Alyssa over at about 11 months and she had nor problems whatsoever xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular