bedtime bottle

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:54 pm 
Post subject: bedtime bottle
When do you stop it, I don't mean nightime feeding we haven't done that for months and months, I mean the bottle after the bath.

I sit in the feeding chair for a cuddle and he has his bottle then I put him in his cot awake (unless he's completely utterly exhausted and he's dropped off already. So he isn't feeding himself asleep.

Alex is now 18 months and this is the only bottle he has a day.

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:00 pm 
Post subject:
I think my two were just coming up for 2 before i stopped giving them a bottle before bed! It was the only time of day i was guaranteed to get a cuddle lol but at that age they just naturally stopped wanting to sit on my knee drinking from a bottle so i started putting their milk in a sippy cup before bed and they still do that now Smile x

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:11 pm 
Post subject:
My son has not entertained night time bottle since just before 12 months and would have a cup of cold milk. He now doesn't have any milk at bedtime as he refuses it (think he doesn't like the taste).
There is no right or wrong time as some children enjoy the bedtime bottle as part of their routine. I certainly would think no later than 3 years to be off the bottle.
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:19 pm 
Post subject:
thank god for that ladies, just seriously paniced when I was reading comments elsewhere where a doctor was saying 9-12 months and they shouldn;t require ANY extra milk and all these mum's seeiming to drop it at around 10 month mark.

Alex def shows no sign of wanting to drop it yet, he drinks it all up and indeed tells me to sit in the chair after I put his pyjama's on Laughing He does like his routine Rolling Eyes gets upset if I go outside any of his routines lol

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:35 pm 
Post subject:
I think Sam was around 2 - 2 1/2. when she stopped bedtime milk. I had switched her to beakers at 1, but by 2 she wasnt really bothered about the milk, and was dry in the day and I figured it would help with getting dry at night (didnt work for us)

She has weak tea (half tea and half milk) on a morning.

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:47 pm 
Post subject:
George has a sippy cup (about 150ml) of cows milk both morning and before bed. He loves his milk and cuddle before bed.

Is you little one having cows milk or formula as would be cheaper to do cows milk? Think they also recommend sippy cup rather than a bottle.

As a child we always had milk/milky drink before bed right up until our teens.
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:10 pm 
Post subject:
I still give Eoin a bottle of milk after his bath but he has it on the couch watching Ben and holly or peppa pig. I did swap it to a sippy cup but he didn't want it. So I went back to the bottle. He drinks milk during the day I a proper cup so I'm not bothered. If he enjoys it I would carry on Very Happy my other kids also have milk after their bath, just not in a bottle Laughing Laughing

StaceyRD
Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:56 pm 
Post subject:
We were told to drop bottles at a year - to do with the suck reflex and to help speech.

George now has beakers, takes less than he did with bottles but hasn't minded the switch. xx

EmzandFlick
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:01 pm 
Post subject:
My LO would never take a bottle x
EmzyLouPlusThree
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:46 pm 
Post subject:
my 2 eldest are 3 and a half and 2 and a quarter and they both still have a bed time botthe , they love it and i dont think its end of world, i will stop eldest a few months before he starts school if he is still on it then that is xx
Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:46 pm 
Post subject:
Do you mean the bottle or the milk? Jamie still has a mug of milk before he goes to bed and has loads in the day as well. He was bf so rarely had bottles anyway but stopped using them about 15 months

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:55 pm 
Post subject:
Lemonpie wrote:
My LO would never take a bottle x

George was the same, went from Boob to cup.
Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:36 pm 
Post subject:
Hi

I still drink milk before bed some nights but its recommended bottles are ditched by age two as it can affect the teeth and speech apparently Question

Terri xx

StaceyRD
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:09 pm 
Post subject:
xxOliverAndMaxsMummyxx wrote:
its recommended bottles are ditched by age two as it can affect the teeth and speech apparently Question

I've always heard a year x

Ange1979
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:53 pm 
Post subject:
Hi ladies

I'm so glad this question was asked as I have thought about it myself Smile Our DD is 18 months and she enjoys a bottle of milk after her bath, ready for bedtime. She too has a sippy cup throughout the day usually for juice and then to get more milk into her (as I think they still need a certain amount?), she tends to have cereal with milk and other milk based foods throughout the day (some days more than others). I think that if they're only having the one bottle though it shouldn't be too much of an issue with teeth and speech (Kimbs is a right old chatter box Laughing). I'm sure you'll know when the right time is to change from the bottle to a beaker on the night hun Wink x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular