healthier eating - meal ideas

Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:04 pm 
Post subject: healthier eating - meal ideas
My husband wants to lose some weight. He has diverticulitis which doesn't help anyway but its making him feel depressed now Sad

I just wondered if anyone had any healthy or healthier meal ideas that aren't really expensive

Thanks

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:57 pm 
Post subject:
What do you usually eat/what does he like? I could give you some ideas if you tell me your taste. Most things can be adapted to be healthy.

Do you like cooking? Hairy Bikers diet book is very good and lots of yummy things in there.

Last edited by Clairebell29 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
teehopes
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:05 pm 
Post subject:
I use my slow cooker LOTS!

I get the frozen chicket fillets the bags you can get from most supermarkets they are about £4 for 6-8 fillets I put 2 in with some water in the morning (frozen) with a bit of chilli powder and pepper then at lunchtime I shred them up and fill it with carrots broccoli, runner beans and cauliflower and lots of gravy granuals and some thickening power more chilli powder and pepper then when I get back at tea time I have a lovely tasty stew (I use all frozen veg too apart from carrots) and then serve with some hot bread and a bit of butter and red cabbage!

costs hardly anything and tastes lovely!

I point it as I am on weight watchers and its only about 3 points hence why I make the bread with it Wink I do the part baked bageuttes so they are pretty cheap too and there is always loads left for OH's lunch the next day too!

I do grilled bacon poached egg beans and tomatoes and toast some nights which again can be pretty cheap and low fat

I do spag bol in the slow cooker and use extra lean mince (or you could get the cheap mince and make sure you get all the fat out of it when frying) and can get 4 portions out of one pack as I bulk it up with peppers chopped toms and so on

I get the frozen slices of beef think its £1 a pack in morrions and do that with veg and new potatoes very low fat and again cheap

chicken fajitas with home made wedges (which are dead easy to do)

Its more about portion control and bulking out meals with lower caloried foods

sorry I am totally rambling on Embarassed
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:28 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you ladies. The stew sounds lush.....

Claire we eat pretty much anything apart from lamb. I think we like pretty much anything. My step son is fussy but i can soon whack a pizza in for him lol

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:39 pm 
Post subject:
I do this mackrel cheese and spinach pasta (wholemeal pasta) very filling, very healthy, very cheap and very tasty!!!

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:42 pm 
Post subject:
If he wants to lose weight, I reccomend making small changes. I made small changes before ttc and lost a stone in a few months. I would say only drink water, change all carbs in your house to wholemeal and try and weigh out prtions like pasta as it says on the back, I think a portion of pasta is 75g dry.
No sugary cereals, try bran flakes or oats. Muisli is nice too.
And perhaps swtich to green or red milk if you dont already.

I also changes mayo and butter to light versions.

I found not only doing this helped me lose weight it saved money and it wasnt too difficult to make those changes. Oh, and only snack on fruit. Smile

Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:10 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you.

We already do the wholemeal thing & he has fruit and fibre or.bran flakes because his bowel can not digest properly otherwise. I also do because of my iron levels Smile

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:14 pm 
Post subject:
I agree with the above. Swapping things really works. Also adding more protein makes you feel fuller for longer. Porridge topped with some fruit and a bit of greek yogurt is a filling breakfast for abotu 400 calories for a good sized portion. A big salad or wrap is good for lunch and then I would have a normal family meal but like mentioned make the changes to make it healthier. Water is great for filling up on too and soups.

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:35 pm 
Post subject:
We've got the Hairy Bikers dieters book and it's brilliant. It's normal food so you don't feel like you're on a diet, just gives you healthier ways of cooking things and teaches you things about portion control.

xx

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:51 pm 
Post subject:
I think i'm going to get that book too as some of the recipes like the curry I saw them cook on the show looked lovely.

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:37 pm 
Post subject:
I would say get the Hairy Dieters then as it's proper 'man' food. My oh was quite enthusiastic about trying things from the book and he has never needed to go on a diet as he is very fit.

We had their Burgers and some homemade wedges last week and they were lovely.

I'm not a big fan of low fat mayo and light butter, I'd rather have less of the real thing less often.

Things like spag bol are always good as you can bulk them up with loadsa veg. This months good food mag has loads of healthy recipes. I made a lovely no fat Apple treacle sponge, left out half the sugar and it was still lovely. Served it with low fat yogurt yum. There website also has lots of healthy and low cal recipes. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/

Make soups as these are rarely bad, I have found if a recipe says to add cream then semi skimmed milk does the trick.

If you're into your puddings then one of my faves is a take on eton mess. Fresh or frozen fruit, I like raspberries mixed with a crushed meringue nest and low fat yogurt.

Portion control is a big thing. Remember hubby will need more than you
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:02 am 
Post subject:
make a big chillie or bolognaise but use soya meat (MUCH healthier), don't use jars of sauce, use pasatta or tinned tomatoes and add herbs and spices.

Don't use fresh pasta use dried and make sure its brown/wholewheat.

Cut out margerine/butter/oil out of everything (you'll be surprised how much you use Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular