settling baby into a routine-help needed

zachariahelijahmalakaimum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:00 pm 
Post subject: settling baby into a routine-help needed
How old was your baby before you started to put them down at night in your room (before you went to bed yourself) as my other lo goes down at 7pm and i would like to do the same with the baby but i scared it too early yet.

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:47 pm 
Post subject:
From day 1 i put my son in his cot at 7 ish and also in his own bedroom. I did the same with my daughter 13 years ago too.

Do what you feel comfortable with.
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:07 pm 
Post subject:
I really want to start doing this too but he sleeps through the day so he won't be tired in evening to go in the room for bed. Evening is when he usually wakes up for play time!!

[url=http://lilypie.com]

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:09 pm 
Post subject:
About 3 1/2 months but he had terrible colic and cried from 7 - 11pm. Then started to settle at around 9pm ish so that became bedtime and a routine was established. Gradually brought it earlier so by 7months he was in bed by 7.30.

I am not a morning person and George has no reason to need to get up so I would rather he went to bed at 7.30 and woke a bit later than being put down at 6.30/7.
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:32 pm 
Post subject:
charlene258 wrote:
I really want to start doing this too but he sleeps through the day so he won't be tired in evening to go in the room for bed. Evening is when he usually wakes up for play time!!

I'm not sure if you are feeding on demand/breast feeding/bottle. I bottle fed at fed at the times I wanted. So whilst I was in hospital I had to feed every 2 hours when I got home I stretched it to 3 hourly abd then 4 hourly at these times 7,11,3,7,11 etc... I woke him at the time needed to feed if he had not woken. Eventually by 11 weeks at least he was sleeping 7 till 7 with no night feeds. So it took me 3 month to get to that point with waking for feeds in the day. It wasn't easy and I'm sure he will get into the swing of things soon
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:32 pm 
Post subject:
Logan was about 8 weeks when we put him in his own room for the night, started about 10pm and in the space of a month and a half he was going to bed at 7pm, then since the clocks changed and he refused to stay up an extra hour he's started going down at 6pm Smile
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:08 pm 
Post subject:
We do it now.. not always but I do I do like to settle her in her cot in our room then go watch a bit of telly before I go to bed Very Happy
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:19 pm 
Post subject:
Banoffee wrote:
charlene258 wrote:

I'm not sure if you are feeding on demand/breast feeding/bottle. I bottle fed at fed at the times I wanted. So whilst I was in hospital I had to feed every 2 hours when I got home I stretched it to 3 hourly abd then 4 hourly at these times 7,11,3,7,11 etc... I woke him at the time needed to feed if he had not woken. Eventually by 11 weeks at least he was sleeping 7 till 7 with no night feeds. So it took me 3 month to get to that point with waking for feeds in the day. It wasn't easy and I'm sure he will get into the swing of things soon

Same here with Evie. As Poppy went into SCBU as a premie they put her into a 4 hour routine for me and I had to wake her (drs instructions) until full term. We are still at 4 hours now, although night we do a 'dreamfeed' at 11pm and demand after that as she goes for 5 hours until we wake her by 8am (family routine with my other daughter).

As for going in the room, Evie was day one, Poppy was 8 weeks but we have an sensor mat wired up for reassurance. I agree - it's when you feel comfortable in doing it

xx

zachariahelijahmalakaimum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:15 pm 
Post subject:
Banoffee wrote:
charlene258 wrote:

I am bottle feeding him on demand but he is only going 1 1/2 hours between feeds both day and night so it i just feel that if i try it at the min i going to be running up and down the stairs more so he doesnt get the point of screaming and waking Zachariah up as he doesnt sleep very heavy at all, but at the same time i do wanna be able to have at least a hour a day where it just me in my own space. x

XxNOAHnELIJAHxX
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:54 pm 
Post subject:
Eli tends to cluster feed of a evening and normally is down by 10. I have not got into a routine as yet as i would normally go to bed a 10 anyway maybe watch tele.

My beautiful little men filling up my world x
juliebarns
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:37 pm 
Post subject:
When my little boy was a newborn I used to put him down in his crib with his toys and I would stick around and read just so he would feel like momma is right here. Then again there was good advice above: Do what you feel comfortable with. Best of luck.
----------------------
Julie
dukky
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:50 am 
Post subject:
We dis it from about 4 weeks and it worked really well x

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:12 pm 
Post subject:
ZachariahandElijahsm wrote:
Banoffee wrote:
charlene258 wrote:

I am bottle feeding him on demand but he is only going 1 1/2 hours between feeds both day and night so it i just feel that if i try it at the min i going to be running up and down the stairs more so he doesnt get the point of screaming and waking Zachariah up as he doesnt sleep very heavy at all, but at the same time i do wanna be able to have at least a hour a day where it just me in my own space. x

How much is he taking per feed? Or does it vary? I couldn't do feed on demand because I wouldn't be able to figure out if he was crying for hunger or something else. Hopefully he has started stretching out his feeds to give you a bit of rest.
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:43 pm 
Post subject:
With my 1st baby, she went into her crib in our room from day 1 purely because we lived in such a small flat there was nowhere else for her to go. With my son (24 wks) the stupid hv told me not to leave him in a room on his own until 6 month so we did it much later, probably about 14 weeks but he is in such a good routine. To think I listened to her and he's not even 6 months yet is mad, he would still be up with me now!! Do what you feel comfortable with x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular