PCOS? Stupid cycles!!!

poppytops
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:42 pm 
Post subject: PCOS? Stupid cycles!!!
Hi Ladies,

I have a q about PCOS/oligovulation, following my M/C in Sept last year, I had a scan, the sonographer said I have the 'look of polycystic ovaries' and showed me the token 'string of pearls' that is depicts polycystic ovaries. I thought I had this prior to conceiving my first child, my cycles are never regular either.

I had a blood test done on day 1 of my cycle, the doc wouldn't commit to a diagnosis though, and said if I have trouble conceiving, to go back...

I used a CBFM this month and was shocked to see the ov sign on CD19, however today, I have alot of EWCM (CD32)... I know PCOS can effect the monitors so I just dont know what to think now...

I have also been having niggly pain on my right side which I noticed just prior to my M/C and had it last cycle and have had it for the last fews days this cycle, any idea if this could be linked to PCOS?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading, any advice would be much appreciated Smile xx

PS, slightly concerned after reading people with PCOS have a higher risk of M/C... Shocked

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:51 am 
Post subject:
I have very long irregular cycles so did my mum and my two sisters. We all have other signs of PCOS too. years ago i had bloods done to test hormones etc and I was told cant have PCOS because my hormones were in normal range. Now my younger sister who has a very good doctor went with the same issues as myself and her bloods came back normal but her doctor still referred to a gynae and was told had PCOS and because its a syndrome you may only show a few symptoms of PCOS and basing it just on the blood test for hormones is irrelevant. She now sees a gynae and I think an endrologist (sp?!) she has been put on a contraceptive pill for a while to help with PCOS. She can have hair removal treatment etc on nhs.

So don't be fobbed off by your doctor as PCOS sufferers need help as my sister was told they shouldn't let you go longer than a few months with a period as it increases your risk of womb cancer which peeved me as I can go more than 12 months without an AF. My sister had 2 babies before her diagnosis but was given clomid for her first by her doctor.

Keep pushing if you want another as it took me nearly 5 years to get my little man with no help!

Good luck
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:42 am 
Post subject:
I have PCOS along with all the classic symptoms, and was told a scan is a more effective means of diagnosis than the blood tests, so if you are showing symptoms on the scan I would say it's safe to assume you do have it. There is an organisation called Verity, who are a support and information group for women with PCOS and PCO, and they have forums, meet ups, conferences etc. I found taking Agnus Castus tincture at the highest dosage very helpful, and I don't think I'd have conceived without it. It brought my cycles down from 60+ days to 29 days. I also found losing weight quite quickly seemed to kick start my cycle, but it's very hard to lose weight with PCOS unfortunately. A low GI/GL diet is the recommended way to do it. Don't give up hope, I have two healthy girls who were both conceived naturally, and I was very overweight at the time.xx
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:16 pm 
Post subject:
Hi hun, i know you posted this a few days ago but just wanted to say that the only times i get niggly pains in my side are when i'm due to ovulate and seeing as you said you had a lot of ewcm, perhaps the pos on cd19 was an error?
(hopefully you covered your bases just in case Wink ) x

m/c May 2012
m/c September 2012
m/c October 2012
poppytops
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:28 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for your replies ladies, I went to docs today and they are doing some tests on my bowel Shocked because of the pain I am experiencing...

I am definitely not pregnant, did a test today so if AF doesnt arrive in the next day or 2, my peak on CD19 wasnt correct.

Hopefully covered my bases though Laughing

I asked the doc about PCOS today, he seemed reluctant to do anything about it and stressed that the fertility treatment can result in a multiple pregnancy. Felt like he was fobbing me off tbh, saying if I still havent conceived and I still want a third child (err, I have had one successful pregnancy and one failed) then to go back. Hopefully I wont have to though Wink

Just fed up of not knowing whats happening with my cycles, I'm a massively organised person who is a big planner, and not being able to plan or know where I am in my cycle is doing my head in, rant over!

Moonhare, thank you for suggesting the website, I will have a look at that and will get some agnus castus too Smile is it supposed to help regulate cycles?

Banoffee, PCOS doesnt seem to run in my family, they all have no trouble falling pregnant, its just me Rolling Eyes I guess I will just have to wait a few months and then go back,

Thanks again for your support and replies xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:42 am 
Post subject:
The risk of a multiple pregnancy from clomid isn't very high Question There is a small risk but most docs don't seem concerned about it Question a lot of GP's are pretty clueless about the ins and outs of fertility treatments though and you'd need a consultant to prescribe clomid normally , I have read that the GI diet can really help some women with PCOS as Moonhare said, which makes sense really as there is an insulin resistant element to it and cutting out all processed sugars as they can upset your oestrogen balance ,reducing body fat levels (by doing more exercise )can really help too which might be easier than just trying to lose weight .
The monitors can get it wrong, but you can also get ewcm about a week after ov and also just before AF is due , and niggling one sided pains can be normal through your cycle either from an egg follicle or the corpus luteum after ov, those you would feel very low down and sort of tucked in where the pubic bone comes across and meets the pelvis , I tend to get them for a few days before AF as if the corpus luteum is having one last burst of activity just before giving up Rolling Eyes Laughing if you have cysts it could make the pain more intense Question
Hopefully you know one way or the other if you did ov on CD19 by now though xx
poppytops
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:51 am 
Post subject:
Thanks DL05, what you said about the pain being very low down, thats how my pain is, I shall be awaiting AF no doubt Rolling Eyes I didnt realise that you can get EWCM at other times in your cycle, I had it a 2 different times when I conceived in August, though I put it down to my body trying to ov, then the second time ovulation actually happened, thank you for your advice, I will have a look into the GI diet, I'm not particularly overweight, though could do with losing a few pounds Wink I will test every few days just in case as I had trouble when I miscarried as I didnt know when I conceived, it made things alot more complicated xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular