Help!! Nose bleeds

xxLauraxx
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:06 am 
Post subject: Help!! Nose bleeds
Hello my little boy is almost 4. On Sunday he had a temp and was looking like he was getting a cold, always sneezing, watery etc. Sunday night he had a very small nose bleed in the night. During the day on Monday he seemed a lot better, no sneezes or watery eyes just a bit snotty. Last night he wake me up about 3am crying loads, his nose had been bleeding again but this time is was bad! He had made it to the toilet but blood had dripped in the carpet. When I got to him in the bathroom his mouth and chin were covered in blood. When Lewis gets upset he coughs, he started to cough in my hand and there was loads of blood. It was runny blood like when you bleed from your finger but there was some mucus there.

I think the blood had just come from his nose into his mouth but the mucus is what bothered me the most.

I'm so scared cause I've never know this. What shall I do???

Please reply xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:36 am 
Post subject:
It's probably all the sneezing thats triggered it, anything that irritates inside the nose can trigger it, the mucus is probably just from his cold and him not sneezing all that day hadn't got rid off it,the coughings a normal way to get rid off it but he must have had some blood go down his throat and come back out with it , if it happens again the best thing is to get him to sit still and gently hold his nostrils and get him to tip his head slightly forward to help the blood clot so it stops, don't let it drip as that encourages the bleed and can also trigger more sneezing which makes it worse, and don't get him to tip his head back as then the blood will run down his throat which can trigger coughing, gagging or even being sick if they swallow it, try and stay calm yourself though as it will help to reassure him that its not anything serious , it can be distressing for small children when they get a nose bleed but even a bit of blood always look like loads and they can get a bit panicky , but they very rarely need treating and once his cold has gone he probably will be fine again, if his nose is sensitive though you may find he gets them in summer if the weathers warm as warm dry weather can be a trigger as well ,
if it starts to happen a lot and doesn't stop quite quickly then I'd see your GP but if its just a one off or occasional thing it shouldn't need treating , hope he feels better soon xx
xxLauraxx
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:39 am 
Post subject:
Thank you so much for your reply. That's really helped put my mind at ease.

Thanks again xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular