Distress when fast asleep

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:37 am 
Post subject: Distress when fast asleep
Several times a week we are woken up by Evie crying uncontrollably, but when we go in she is fast asleep - to which we just cuddle her, lay her down and she stops.
Last night when I went in she started scratching at the side of her bed as if she had a purpose and seemed distressed about it, so I just cuddled her and laid her down and she was fine again. Otherwise she is a great sleeper and we are never distrurbed by her.

Does anybody elses kids do this? I am guessing there is nothing else I can do, but I just wanted to check it is common and she isn't actually stressed and upset about something which is coming through in her dreams (as sleep walking / talking often is with adults). Or maybe she is?!

Anybody got any experiences they can share with me to reassure me?

xx

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:43 am 
Post subject:
It sounds like night terrors hun Smile Charlie does it sometimes and Lewis has done it a couple times too only difference is Lewis got out of bed with his but panicked when his dad tried talking to him... He hasn't done it for a while but they freak me out when they do.. X
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:50 am 
Post subject:
Do you know what causes them? Do your boys ever remember them? Evie is completely unaware Sad

xx

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:03 pm 
Post subject:
I dont know what causes them but I know they dont remember.. Sometimes Charlie swears blind he hasn't been up in the night and Lewis doesnt even know hes been to the toilet.. It's a comfort knowing they dont remember cos at least they arent getting distressed by it the following day. Charlie had a dream recently that he talked about for days and was completely weird... Something about a big hole in McDonald's and a bad man or woman that was putting people in it... We hadn't been to McDonald's in weeks at the time... X
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:29 pm 
Post subject:
Defo sounding like night terrors hun, my LO has done this on and off (more times on!) for about 12 months now. She actually had me up at 2am screaming and when I went in to her I simply covered her with her blanket and told her to go back to sleep (I know now that she doesn't even know I'm there half the time, my voice must just sooth her while shes in the dream). She rolled over and was back fast asleep in minutes.

I hate them, they're so scary.....lost count of the amount of times I've been woken in the middle of the night by her screaming like she's truly terrified but in the morning she never mentions them at all (whereas she does remember if she wakes for something and me or her dad go into her) so I dont think she's affected by them.

Don't have any advice about stopping them but I did Google that they're more likely to happen if the child is over tired or goes to bed late (something to do with them falling into a really deep sleep and them then being unable to wake up from the nightmare) and I have to admit that on nights when I give her an early night I don't get many, if any episodes from her and if I put her to bed late or if she's not had an afternoon nap then they're really bad!

Hopefully they'll grow out of them soon!

xx
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:31 pm 
Post subject:
Oh and I've also had her up screaming and crying pointing at something or trying to find something under the blankets, if that happens I just sooth her and lay her back down as she's still freaming and must be seeing something.

Just to let you know incase you get an extra fright if you find her scrabbling around the bed or trying to hide in her room.

I think I read that kids prone to night terrors are also more likely to be prone to sleepwalking as they get older.

xx
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:04 pm 
Post subject:
Wow Rach... didn't know McDonalds could create such worry... Hope he is OK and not too scraed about the bad man/woman. It's awful knowing that they can have such scary imaginations.

Thanks Lilly777, interesting you mentioned about being over tired. I wore Evie out at a couple of groups yday but she so rarely naps in the day. I did send her to bed early last night as she was exhausted, so maybe there is the link. I am going to keep an eye on that pattern.
I sleep talk / walk when I am stressed (mainly about pointing to spiders and webs across the room, that aren't there), so I wouldn't want it for my kids too. Thanks for the info.
Hope your daughter stops having them soon Crying or Very sad

xx

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:20 pm 
Post subject:
Lilly777 wrote:
Oh and I've also had her up screaming and crying pointing at something or trying to find something under the blankets, if that happens I just sooth her and lay her back down as she's still freaming and must be seeing something.xx

Bot me and my sister used to do this quite often, and my mom said she used to just go in and say 'we will find it in the morning' and it was like a trigger to us and we would just lie down and go back to sleep.

Sam had night terrors when younger, sometimes crying for up to half an hour, but just would not settle. She hasnt had any for ages, although some nights I hear her crying in her sleep.

emmie02
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 pm 
Post subject:
so glad ive seen this. I posted in "getting baby to sleep" last week and had no one comment on it. Sad

Ive been having the same thing with Belle. Almost every night for 2 months!

Ive googled it and found some info on the nhs website.

The things they say are the same as what you sat about getting them to have a nap in the day and not putting them to bed over tired.
They also suggest a relaxing bed time routine maybe having a bath first if they dont already.

Since we have been back from visiting family over xmas ive been making Belle have a 2 hour nap in the day and get her in bed at a decent time. Touch wood shes been ok.

I didnt know what they were at first and id wake her up (something you shouldnt do) then id really struggle getting her back to sleep.

If they do wake up its recommended to get them up for a bit- take them to the loo as you dont want them falling straight back into a deep sleep as its likely to happen again.

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:08 pm 
Post subject:
Aww, poor Belle... Hope she is OK. I didn't see your post, sorry. Sounds like we are def not on our own tho. I just feel for the little mites as fear and terror is the one thing we don;t want our kids to have to go through.

Steph - do you now sleep walk or talk as an adult? Or was it just a childhood thing?

xx

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:39 pm 
Post subject:
MrsOz wrote:
Aww, poor Belle... Hope she is OK. I didn't see your post, sorry. Sounds like we are def not on our own tho. I just feel for the little mites as fear and terror is the one thing we don;t want our kids to have to go through.

Steph - do you now sleep walk or talk as an adult? Or was it just a childhood thing?

xx

As far as I know I dont sleep walk anymore, although I do still talk in my sleep (have been told). I also have really vivid dreams, sometimes to the point where I wake up and im not sure if I am awake or dreaming!

Clairebear30
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 pm 
Post subject:
I wonder what i was like as a baby as i know from memory n being told as a 10 plus year old i would kind of wake up but still be in my dream - id walk into patents room n stand there n they wud taje me back to bed. Id swear
Id been told to take posters down if wall n take them off then wake up to think what am i doing. Id always sleepwalk n mum used to put suitcase at top of stairs at home n if ever away as she was worried. As im older i still have very vivid dreans/nightmares usually things coming out if walls or in room etc - n have conversations with hubby or jump out if bed.... Hmmmmmm

Jump to:  

Community

Popular