New to site, advice re sterilization reversal and CS`s

gardenfairy
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:32 pm 
Post subject: New to site, advice re sterilization reversal and CS`s
Hi ladies (and gentlemen if any noseying lol)
First a little bit of history about myself;
Im Kerry, 38eekk lol and i have 6 (yes 6) children.. Three from a previous relationship and three from my current marriage.. My husband and i have been together 13+ years married 5,we have 3 children ages 5,3 and 18months together plus i have three ages 16,and twins 14 with my ex..
Tbh i feel pressure of what others thought (sounds harsh but it was like ok i am having my 6th child, but im going to get sterilized after as to compensate for me having a large family) and my consultant played a big role in my discision to get sterilized during my CS to have our 18 month old, `consultants words` "while their in there! maybe you could get sterilized also, saves another op"??? so presuming as i had 6 children i must certainly not want anymore!
Anyhow needless to say i already totally regret that decision and would like to get it reversed.. But having had my last three babies by CS (one emergency) will this cause many complications? any advice please
Thankyou Very Happy Very Happy
susieliverpool
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:34 pm 
Post subject:
hi kerry i've recently had my 5th baby all to my husband ( twins 16, girl 12, boy 9 and baby boy almost 4 months) unfortunately my hubby had the snip while i was preggas with my 9 year old as he was to be my 3rd c section, he had a reversal 2 years ago that worked for a short while , enough time for us to have isci treatment and store a few frozen embryos,we were blessed again with my new little bundle (4th c section) hubby has just underwent a 2nd reversal but were pretty sure it hasnt been sucessful, i do have some frozen embryos left but am not sure if my doctor will allow me to have treatment again having already had 4 c sections, i felt fine after my 4th one and it actually went better than the previous 3 i was in hospital for less than 2 days . Am sure you would be fine to to have a 4th c section am 38 aswell and absolutely love having a large family , good luck hunni susie xxx

Notes:
gardenfairy
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 pm 
Post subject: thanks
Hi Susie, thanks so much for your reply, i really love having a big family so does DH I REGRETTED HAVING A STERILIZATION AS SOON AS I CAME HOME Sad (SORRY CAPS) but at the time the consultant was giving me all these scare stories about heavy bleeding with 3+ CS and imo looking down at me for having my 6th (even though DH works dam hard to pay for them all)
I shall call my local hospital that offers reversal in the morn, lets get this ball rolling Smile, your reply has given me more hope and confidence, thankyou Kerry Very Happy
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:36 am 
Post subject:
Hi garden fairy, I was in the same boat as you ,I have 7 Embarassed Laughing 5 from a previous relationship and two with my hubby, when having my last I'd had 2 previous sections for totally different reasons (placenta preavia then a surprise breech during a planned home birth Rolling Eyes ) with my last i was planning to have a hospital VBAC but ended up with an emergency section due to complications (prem baby, infection heart rate dropping) my sterilisation was not planned in the slightest, but i'm sure the doc asked me about it because it was my 3rd section Confused basically on the way to theatre for an emergency section, hubby still on the way ,scared to death as my baby was 33 weeks and couldn't face another section so signed the form in a moment of madness Confused which I regretted the minute I came round from the anaesthetic, so you're totally not alone , sorry for rambling Embarassed I'll get to my point now Laughing As to whether the 3 sections will interfere with a reversal its hard to say it could do as you could have scarring Question sometimes after a sterilisation during a section the tubes can be full of adhesions or stuck to parts of your insides, also they tend to take a larger piece of tube when doing the op during a section Question
The method used also makes a difference ,I was told mine were cut and tied ,in fact they were cut and cauterised which causes more damage , I lost one tube during the reversal as it was stuck together and stuck to my abdomen and found out in October last year my remaining tube was totally blocked with scar tissue at the op site , I never got pregnant after the reversal (august 2010) despite being very fertile before ,having got pregnant 4 times on the pill and twice the first month trying before being sterilised Shocked
It's one of those things that either works or doesn't and there's no way to know on paper who it will work for , as there as so many things that can stop it working, adhesions on your tubes or ovaries, tubal blockages, damage to the tiny hairs that move the egg along, higher risk of ectopic, etc.
The younger women seem to have more luck (up to mid thirties) , maybe just because they have a better chance of conceiving before tubal scarring can happen Question
Most of us Ladies who I've met on here who are pushing 40 or over 40 have not had a baby and a lot have now left the site,
As far as c sections go then 4 should be safe, some women have had as many as 5,6 or 7 , again it depends on how well your body heals, also VBACS after multiple sections are now more common and that was my plan if I'd ever conceived Smile
I would consider IVF as an option as well though as for the price of the reversal you could have IVF and possibly like Susie also have some frozen embryo's for if you wanted another baby in the future Question ,the advantage of that is that those embryo's would be possibly better quality than your eggs will be in say 2 or 3 yrs time if you wanted a second after a reversal ,also there's no worrying about tubal scarring which is sadly quite common
Trying to get pregnant after a reversal is very emotionally hard as you never know whether it's not happening because there's a problem or you just got the timing wrong , on balance I wish I'd gone for IVF now , good luck whatever you decide xx
gardenfairy
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:43 pm 
Post subject: thank you
Hi thanks for all your advice Smile
I was a little worried some people would think i was`greedy` for wanting more or insane lol
But the fact is i just love being surrounded by little ones and having big family get togethers, and im a Nursery Nurse by profesion so there was no `escaping` little ones there either lol..
I had a very terrible time with my 3rd Sad Sad i felt totally unlistened to and miss managed (i actually had miss managed birth written in my notes! grrr) and this led to emergency CS as we nearly lost him, thank goodness though hes now a VERY lively 5 year old Very Happy
But needless tyo say this experience toittally messed my head up to the point that i developed depression and after having 3 previous womderful natral births i was scared to death of having another natural birth and opted for a CS, in a different hosptal! i will add im still very angry/sad and emotional about it now.. The the 3rd was `the best option after 2 CS already` iwas told..
I had gratefully very good recoveries and was up and about quickly Very Happy Very Happy
Sorry i went on there too lol
We sadly really have only spare money for one or the other, (i have thought about IVF too) is sooo hard to know which to choose Question i wish i could win the lottery lol and id have another 3 or 4 or try to atleast..
Thank you for all your advice, its nice to be able to talk to ladies who are in a similar position, Kerry x
JakesMommy
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:41 pm 
Post subject:
hiya hun and welcome to the site im Anna 36 was sterliised at 20 after 3x cections
I had my revesal in 2008 and had my little miracle in 2010
we currently trying for anouther so if were lucky tht will
be 5cections ive had my cons has no issues with the amount c sections
you have as long as scar tussue ect ok obviously the mire you have there is a risk
when i got sterlised my tubes were cut and tied they were only
able to save the one tube when had reversal and tbats a tiny 3cm
good luck huni
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:29 pm 
Post subject: hi
Hi Anna Very Happy
Thank you me to reply, it helps knowing it was worked for other ladies Smile No offence but also the fact your in your thirtys too..
I wish you all the luck with your 2nd attempt x
Whats the first steps i should take? did you talk to own GP first or get straight onto private consultant, also is it a start to get your medical records first as i dont know what method i had Question sorry if im sounding dim lol
Kerry
Sorry also HUGE congratulations on your first pregnancy after reversal
Very Happy
JakesMommy
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:45 pm 
Post subject:
You have to have a gp referal to the hospital the consultant
should get your notes and be able to see what they didvwhen had the sterilisation..
Shop about though as prices vary by alot i paid £4374 others have paid
£3000 good luck huni im from large family of ten and
loved every min of it xxx
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:56 pm 
Hi again, thanks for the advice i will ring GP in the morning Smile and start on the journey (hopefully touchwood)
Do you now how long referal usually takes and when i can think of seeing consultant, sorry all the Question
Yes ive been looking into Birmingham (have also read the other post) it seems the best price so far and only down the road Smile just doing research into it re pregnacies ect but looks good..
thanks x
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:15 am 
Post subject:
Ahh my first section after 4 natural births sent me the other way , I just never wanted to get pregnant again and my ex had the snip (his choice) but then I remarried and I really wanted another natural birth which if she hadn't been a surprise breech i'm sure I would have had Rolling Eyes Laughing But either way repeat sections are so common now as so many woman are having sections for their first that 4+ sections isn't that uncommon , after 3 and then having my reversal I was told I had very minimal scarring at the section site, it was just my tube that was a mess so another section shouldn't have been an issue if I'd wanted one, and I've had NHS treatment since my reversal and never been discriminated against either for my age or how many children I already have (mind you I did have to push for some of it Laughing my OH said he felt sorry for any doctor who tried to tell me no Embarassed Laughing )
I would definately get a consultation for reversal and IVF though, it might cost an extra 150 to 200 pounds but it will give you a better idea, and ask about just what they consider a success for their stats, as some places consider and open tube at the reversal a success , I've never met a Lady on here who hasn't had at least one open tube after the reversal , a lot have 2 but if you look for the outcomes post in this section or read through the older "getting pregnant after sterilisation reversal" posts (and there's a lot of them ) then you start to realise that the success rates maybe aren't great Question
My cons considered my Op a success, but 2 1/2yrs later I've never been pregnant Question Out of a group of 8 of us having reversals within 3 weeks in 2010 there was only one birth , then there were 3 ladies all got pregnant close together and had babies last summer, but since then no BFP's Question
Some of the reversal ladies go on to IVF, as Anna now is as you can see by her ticker , some because they lose tubes to ectopics, some just because they just don't get pregnant , I think all the women who have gone on to have IVF did have babies that way Question
I know I had a need to feel "fixed" if you like as well as actually have a baby and also wanted a chance every month which is what swayed me to reversal, however thanks to early adhesions on my remaining tube stopping it picking up the eggs, then a temporary blockage I never really had any chances Confused neither of those things could be predicted they were purely down to bad luck, by the time I had the adhesion removed and the temporary blockage had cleared last October I had permanent scar tissue further up the tube and was told in October that IVF was the only option , now though i'm over 2yrs older and the odds of it working have gone down so we're not bothering , I also don't really feel "fixed" as i'm no better off than before and still have no baby either Question
If it works its brilliant and some women go on to have 2 or more pregnancioes afterwards but no one can give you your odds up front as there are so many things that can happen that aren't expected , whereas with the IVF things are much more cut and dried ,
if I was asked by someone in their early thirties then I'd probably say if you can afford it then have the reversal , try for a year or so and if nothing happens go on to IVF, but as you approach your late 30's you don't necessarily have the time on your side to do that and your chances of a pregnancy from IVF start to drop quite a lot year on year so if I had my chance over again then I'd go for the IVF right from the start and bypass any potential problems from the tubes Smile xx
gardenfairy
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:20 am 
Hi i have replied to your ther reply lol (beware i went on a bit)
Thanks so much for sharing your story, the advice and replying Very Happy
It feels nice to be able to share experiences/`chat` to ladies who know sort of how you feel.. I am leaning a little towards IVF but the `only one try` voice keeps ringing in my head..
A lot of thinking needs to be dome i think and researching, but problem is time is ticking v my age Sad
First step though is to read my records/get a consultants advice n see were we go from there
take care, Kerry x
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:49 am 
Post subject:
Kerry it was the "one try" that stuck with me as well with the IVF but knowing what I know now about clinics in Europe and how much cheaper they are and how some do guarantee's and some UK and EU clinics offer 3 for 2 deals on IVF that work out not much more than the reversal I would definately look into it, even with just one actual full IVF attempt you often have embryos to freeze , I was told at my age at reversal that was very unlikely (I was 40 then but with test results in the range of a woman in her thirties) but from reading lots of womens stories on here and other web sites (one with the initials FF has a great IVF section) I've realised that if you have good LH/FSH results then the odds are very good that you'll respond well enough to get enough eggs to have some to freeze as well, in fact in October when I had my failed cannulation I was on cd10 and the doc said I had lots of follicles on both ovaries and would probably get a good number of eggs if I wanted to go on to IVF and I was approaching 43 then Shocked ,
Of course it doesn't guarantee quality but at least with the IVF they can see that before putting them back and only use the best Question
Yeah I'd definately get your notes and have a read, I had to get mine through the army from Germany and had already booked the reversal when I got them and was shocked to discover my tubes had been cauterised , if I had known that sooner and done more research It might have swayed me away from reversal as the first choice Question or at least made me ask more questions about scarring as it was something that was very much played down during my consultation Question
I'd write a list of questions to ask when you do have consultations as well and make a point of writing down the answers in front of the consultant as i find it makes them stick to the facts more Laughing Good luck xx
gardenfairy
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:09 pm 
Post subject: reply
hi again Smile
Thank you for all your advice x that's a good idea writing down questions and answers, i would probably forget a lot by the time i got home lol. The only problem i have with clinics in europe is i have younger children and would find it difficult to get someone to look after them..
Fingers crossed all goes well at GPs and we can get advice re which option would be best for us.. take care, kerry x
Jillybeanz2011
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:41 pm 
Post subject:
hi gardenfairy, if you don't mind me asking how were you sterilized?I go for my reversal op beginning Feb Smile
gardenfairy
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:06 pm 
Post subject: hi
Hi jellybean, ibh i dont know Question not sure if read other messages but i cant remember being talked to about it or explained to or even signing anything!,(that swhy the ranting post lol) so couldnt tell you sorry..
I just remember her saying before we may aswell while `were in there` and as id been scared to death by some idiot consultant saying `your going to bleed a lot`ect i just said yes ok... Which i regretted as soon as i came home Sad
I wish you lots of luck with your reversal, where are you having iyt done?
Kerry x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular