Hypnobirthing

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:38 pm 
Post subject: Hypnobirthing
I want to try and give birth this time pain relief free, no gas and air or anything. Can anyone recommend a good book for hypnobirthing? xx

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:53 pm 
Post subject:
I don't really know much about hypobirthing but there was a lady on obem that was humming.

This is going to sound quite odd but during my contractions I closed my eyes and counted Elephants! Like one elephant, two elephants, three elephants etc but actually visulised elephants. Don't know why or when I decided to do this but it worked well for me. I suppose that's a bit like taking your mind elsewhere. I did without gas and air till right near the end but I don't think that it did much for pain relief just something else to concentrate on so I could see hypobirth working quite well.
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:17 pm 
Post subject:
Both mine have been pain relief free, one hospital birth and one planned home birth (but ended up being a BBA).

With my home birth I used Clary sage and Lavender oil during contractions as it acts a natural pain relief as it has euphoric properties Wink It was brilliant Very Happy Just concentrated on my breathing on all fours swinging my hips Laughing

Your last one was a home birth, did you use any PR then?
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:19 pm 
Post subject:
I had 1 puff of the gas and air and the machene broke so had to to transition without it and freaked out because I had nothing so this time I want to do it with the knowledge of having nothing so I wont freak out. I screamed blue murder with ava, but i did tear REALLY bad Embarassed Laughing

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:37 pm 
Post subject:
I think a lot of it has to do with the position your in when giving birth. Keeping mobile and all fours really does prevent tearing x
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:48 pm 
Post subject:
thats what i did so i dread to think how badly i would have tore had i been on my back, my mum said i wouldnt tear if i was on all fours. I tore half way inside my foof, my clioris and the bit betwwen my bum and foof Confused Embarassed agony it was Shocked

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:14 pm 
Post subject:
How big was she? Shocked Were you pushing when you weren't supposed to be? Might have something to do with the fact your were panicking due to no pain relief?!
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:19 pm 
Post subject:
She was 7lb4oz
And she came out in 3 pushes (none of which i forced)
My MW kept saying little pushes but a bit like when you have a really bad tummy upset you cannot control what your body does Laughing

I literally couldnt stop the pushes! Im so scared of tearing again as I cant control the pushes.
By the pushing stage i wasnt panicking as the contractions had stopped when her head was crowning. It was the contractions that made me panick more than anything where as the tearing made me scream.

I will never forget screaming "MY CLITORIS IS TEARING!!!" and midwife said no its not and after ava was born she looked and said, yeh youve torn everything pretty bad, you will have to go into hospital to get it sorted Shocked

I did get gas and air through the sticthes, so got to try it after all that Laughing

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:15 pm 
Post subject:
I would like to be pain relief free too, but as I've never done it I may completely change my mind! Been watching OBEM and I really don't fancy being sick/half asleep on pain relief.

When do these things and options get discussed? I've not heard anything about antenatal yet. Does the midwife tell you about it or are you meant to arrange it yourself?

xx

Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:25 pm 
Post subject:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Effective-Birth-Preparation-Hospital-Centre/dp/1905220502/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357939129&sr=8-1

I used this one, at first I thought it was all a bit hippy but then realised I never once heard the end of the session, I fell asleep every single time!

I had quite a nice birth, fooooking painful and needed a lot of stitches but I felt in control, calm and - hippy but, trusted my body to give birth to the baby.

I got to 5cm without really knowing I was in labour, waters burst then about 4 contractions later used gas n air for 11 hours from 5cm to pushing, then pushed for 1 hour 57 mins for baby to be born, he was holdingonto his ear so I needed epesiotomy but did all that with no pain relief, if anyhting, I liked the noise of the gas n iar, it was hypnotic!

I dont feel that I had any break in contraction for the last few hours, it was constant contraction pain and because baby had high heart rate, every 15 mins they checked his heart and the cold stethascope made my have a huge contraction, ouch! NEVER AGAIN but proud I didnt need any ansty drugs
MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:49 pm 
Post subject:
Hey hun - I used hypnobirthing and had no pain relief at all for Samuel - and had a fourth degree tear (2.5hrs, 80+ stitches Very Happy) (though I think I was lucky - I didn't feel it at all, but the cons. said probably because of the extent of it went through all the nerves there anyway!) -oh - and like you Avasmummy - Samuel was born in two pushes, totally my body, not me doing it, and my entire 'entering birth canal to exit' stage was just over 2 minutes - I was upright the whole time. He was back to back and turned at the last moment and SHOT out Very Happy LOL!)

The only hypnobirthing practice I had was a one off hour long class that was run free at our local sure start centre - so perhaps contact them and see if there are any workshops - your MW should also know about them if they are in your area etc Smile It definitely helped me and I felt very relaxed Smile

And Heath - OBEM records over 300 births per series, and shows about 12. They only show the odd balls, exciting scenarios, interesting stories, and the screamers... when asked why they didn't show more of the calm and normal controlled births at a MW conference, the producer said 'because they're boring' - just to let you know - most births are not at all like that and every woman copes in different ways. Stay positive and relaxed, and pain free is very acheivable if you believe you can do it Smile (I'll probably get lynched for saying this but it is my opinion based on my experience - childbirth isn't painful - it's an odd feeling and perhaps there are moments that you find uncomfortable, but it's totally not that bad! Very Happy ) xxx

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:13 pm 
Post subject:
I kinda agree there ^^^ It can't be all bad as we wouldn't keep doing it otherwise Laughing

I was the other way to you two ladies. I tore really bad with my first where I birthed on my back (hospital birth) pushing for what seemed like hours Rolling Eyes Question had to have an episiotomy but tore badly after. Got stitched then unstitched (cos it didn't match up Rolling Eyes Mad ) then re stitched.
Where as my second was on all fours no pain relief, 2 pushes and she was born, with a tiny graze on the front wall of my foof Smile
Maybe just pot luck then, although research does show that birthing at home does reduce the likeliness of tearing..so just cos it did happen with your first doesn't mean its likely to happen again.. maybe it'll help as you know what to expect this time round x
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:01 am 
Post subject:
I don't think you're going to get lynched Mingo Shocked Laughing
But I do think its about perceptions of pain Question
I did personally find it painful although not as bad as I expected , but also felt quite calm and in control and felt I could handle it, like Janey and Clairebell said I think the gas and air was a big help for me, not so much for its pain relieving properties as I don't think it really does relieve pain, but just as a focus for my breathing and that noise is quite hypnotic Laughing
I only used it from about 6 or 7 cms though and things were getting intense Question Before that I didn't feel the need for anything whereas some women on tv seem to ask for epidurals at 2cms Question so it must feel different for everyone, plus i think if you go into it scared and tense and expecting pain then you'll feel pain more , experiments have been done to show that if people are told something will be painful then they feel actual pain even if whatever being done isn't painful at all Shocked
When I was at one of the hospitals for my gynae app though they had posters up for hyno birthing run by the hospital, so I'd maybe ask your midwife Avasmummy they might have some at your hospital Question
Oh and my daughter used clary sage as a massage oil and also in her bath when she went into labour with her first recently and it really sped things up and she had a water birth too and gave birth to a 9lb 3 1/2lb baby girl with no pain relief and not even a scratch Shocked total time in actual labour just over 3 hrs Smile the midwives were saying not only is the water great pain relief but it also helps control transition and makes it more natural and gentle as the pressure of the water on you pelvic floor from the water helps balance the intense pressure on the inside from the baby's head that triggers that hard pushing response that you can't stop Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular