blood tests

Amiesmum
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:07 pm 
Post subject: blood tests
hi ladies, just another update and maybe some help if poss, i went to docs last week as i still not had period since nov 12th, i had blood test and all come back normal all my hormones r ok, not diabetes or thyroid problems and im fertile he says, hes give me folic acid to take :/ dont know why if im not pregnant.
sooo i dont know what to do now. no period obv means im not ovulating..
im sorta speechless i dont know wat to feel x
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:29 am 
Post subject:
I'd push him for more answers, I don't see how he can say your hormones are "ok" as hormone tests need to be done at specific points in a cycle to actually give any clues as to whats going on Question
I'd also get a print out of the results, I always do this and they can't refuse to give you one , just so you can look up the reference levels yourself, but basically you should have FSH/LH and Oestrogen tested between cd1-5 this tells them how high your baseline is, if its higher than expected it can mean your body is having to work harder than it should to try and kick start ovulation (the whole process starts very early in your cycle and by cd 5-8 if everythings working normally your body should have already chosen one follicle to become the dominant one that will be released )
You should always have the oestrogen done with the LH/FSH as high oestrogen can mask problems with the other two,
then there's the progesterone levels which need to be done after ov as these levels confirm it, not ideal if you don't think you are ovulating , the only way really you could try and get that at the right time in this cycle would be to use OPK's every day and then if you detect a surge get it done about 8 days later,
BBT charting or just temping daily can help confirm it was ovulation by the temperature rise you'd see , but honestly I think any hormone levels he had checked at this point in such a long cycle were probably worthless Question
I don't see how he could possibly say yes you are fertile or no you're not anyway from bloods, as there are many things that can cause fertility problems that wouldn't show up on bloods Question
I think I'd ask for something to bring on a period and then ask to get the cd1-5 bloods done at the right time, and then maybe use OPK's that cycle to see if you get a surge Question
Sometimes once you do have an AF it sort of resets your body and you get back to normal but if you had another long cycle with no sign of ov I'd ask for a referral to a consultant for more tests just to see what else could be going on , if he won't give you anything to kick start an AF then there are some herbal things that are said to do that, i'm not sure if any of the natural methods would work if you actually haven't ov'd yet but there's a lot of info online about natural ways to bring a period on , good luck xx
Amiesmum
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:10 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Smile i did question it myself like you said how are things ok. the only reason i had blood test was becoz i hadnt AF since nov 12 and to this day i still havent x
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:10 pm 
Post subject:
Have the drs done CD 21/22 bloodwork? I had my hormones tested January 2012, April 2012 and again in June (all by different drs) and all tests came back normal. I had a really bad period that drove me to see yet another dr in June. He ran all the hormone tests and said everything was fine. He then ordered CD 21 bloods and discovered I do not ovulate. The reason I had my hormones checked in the 1st place was bc I had missed a cycle December 2011 and they wanted to make sure I wasn't preggers. If they are not doing CD 21 bloods I would ask them to check? Have they thought about putting on you something to jumpstart your period? Have they checked you for pcos? I was told you can have PCOS and still have normal hormone results. He recommended to avoid OPKs bc they can give false positives. Every month I would get several days of postives but when I would get tested for progesterone they were always negative. Good luck! Hope they get your system jump started quickly and you get your BFP soon.
Amiesmum
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:57 pm 
Post subject:
basically i had was on tablets to start period 10days after with happened, i had period in oct 4-9 and then nov 12-17 but since then ive had nothing whats so ever no spotting no aches or pains apart from my normal aches n stuff. i went to docs and i said id done hpt and were all neg but was still no period and cud i have a blood test bcos if i was i didnt wanna b drinking on the new year.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular