potty training problem

amesymc
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:11 pm 
Post subject:
No advice but alfies still not potty trained either. Henisnstarting to show signs but has delayed speech so can't tell me when he needs to I. Also my grandads just died and there's a lot of emotional upset in the family ATM and then baby will be due in a few weeks so I'm planning on just leaving him nappy free on a night with his potty out n let nature take its course. He has done a couple of wees on the potty tho. I think I'm gonna wait until closer to his birthday before I get worried. He doesn't start nursery until September - he will be 3yr 5month by then so fingers crossed will def be trained by then x

[/url]
jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:30 pm 
Post subject:
Well I attempted today to keep him in pants and it was a disaster. It doesn't matter if he pees himself, he still won't go near the potty or toilet if he knows I want him to sit on it to do something.
I can't actually teach him to get into the habit of using the toilet as I can't even get him to SIT on it for even a second to do anything.
He got into such a state I had to just put pull ups on him. It's actually keeping me up at night worrying how I'm going to get him to go on the potty.

Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:49 pm 
Post subject:
I would just leave him for now, it's obviously getting too stressful for him and you. I work in a school nursery and we let the children in with nappies on. If they poo we ring the parent to come and change them. My son was a nightmare to get potty trained. He was 3.5 months before he was sorted. I tried 3 times before, he just wasn't ready. He would poo and not care, then he got sore and be screaming with cuts. Then would still do it again.
When I decided once and for all to do it, he was 3.5 months and knew exactly what I was talking about. It took a week. He has been brilliant and is now 7. He was wet the bed twice.
My friend has a boy who s 10 days older than my Callum and he wets the bed almost every night, she 'trained' him at 2.
I think there is too much pressure on parents to get them out of nappies. Sorry I have gone on a bit, but good luck Hun.

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:56 pm 
Post subject:
curlywurlysue wrote:
hi there
in my opinion (from experience with lo at 2.5 yrs old) you have to put the cotton pants on
so they know what it feels like to have wet pants on. They are not going to like it but it
is something have to learn and deal with.
x

I was a nightmare child for potty training, my mum did that with me and apparantely I soon got the message!

Good luck I'm dreading it when the time comes !
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:15 pm 
Post subject:
Shellm wrote:
I would just leave him for now, it's obviously getting too stressful for him and you. I work in a school nursery and we let the children in with nappies on. If they poo we ring the parent to come and change them. My son was a nightmare to get potty trained. He was 3.5 months before he was sorted. I tried 3 times before, he just wasn't ready. He would poo and not care, then he got sore and be screaming with cuts. Then would still do it again.
When I decided once and for all to do it, he was 3.5 months and knew exactly what I was talking about. It took a week. He has been brilliant and is now 7. He was wet the bed twice.
My friend has a boy who s 10 days older than my Callum and he wets the bed almost every night, she 'trained' him at 2.
I think there is too much pressure on parents to get them out of nappies. Sorry I have gone on a bit, but good luck Hun.

Thanks so much for such a reassuring message. It wouldn't be a problem for me to go to the nursery if one of them poo'd as I live right across the road so if that's the only issue I don't feel as panicked. I think I feel more stressed as its like 'they start nursery in a month so I MUST have them potty trained by then', or that's what everyone has made me feel like at least (in my family, not on here).
Like you say there is too much pressure on people to have their kids out of nappies, and talking, and walking ASAP and so far from my experience with the other things its been a case of they''ll do it in their own time. You'd think I'd have learnt by now not to get stressed over this stuff lol xx

pepperpot
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:05 pm 
Post subject:
At Oli's nursery (age from 2y 6m to school age) they are happy to change nappies or pants, you just have to take them home with you. They were very chilled out about it and when I visited said they would be happy to carry on potty training him when I felt he was ready and had started at home. There was no funny looks they realised that they all do it in their own time xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:33 am 
Post subject:
Have you tried letting him stand to wee Jenna ? A lot of children don't like sitting on the potty or toilet at first as it doesn't feel natural Question
Maybe try him with no pants and if he starts to wee then "catch" the pee in the potty without trying to get him to sit on it, and then give lots of praise and make a big fuss of him ,
have you tried with your other son ? Sorry i can't remember which one you said you were trying with, but sometimes even children who don't see interested can pick it up quickly, I found they didn't really need to be able to speak either (1 of my daughters was very late speaking due to a hearing issue but she still could let me know in other ways ) He might surprise you and take to it really well Question
I bet as soon as one of them starts the other will follow quickly though, and they all get it eventually , maybe you worrying about it is making him tense as well, children are very good at picking up on adults emotions and that could be making him think that the toilet and potty are something to be concerned about Question xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Nappies, Changing and Potty Training All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular