Questions for first GP visit

gardenfairy
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:29 pm 
Post subject: Questions for first GP visit
Hi ladies,
Well it my first GP apt tomorrow Very Happy i am planning to go through my records to see what sterilization method was used to get some info where we go from here ie Reversal or IVF..
Butwanted to go armed with alist ofquestionsi needto ask asmyGP is `polpitely` slightly useless lol
Can anyone giveadviceof alist ofquestionsto ask please..
Loveandluck all
Kerry x
Me 39May ekk sterilised during CS in June 2011
DH 34 (toyboy Laughing )
Taking our first steps on a divided path deciding what to choose
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:18 am 
Post subject:
To be honest most GP's won't have the knowledge to help you decide, unless they have a particular interest in womens fertility problems . A lot of women on here probably know more than your average GP .
But they can be useful for getting you the Op report for your c section , you might have to apply to the hospital direct for that as often a GP will just be sent a short letter saying what was done not how it was done , I had to track mine down myself through the army liason woman but some GP's will get hold of them for you , and of course for getting your bloods done.
Once you've got that info though, for advice about which method would be best for you I'd book consultations with an IVF clinic and a reversal surgeon , it will cost (between 150-200 on average) but you will need to have a consultation with whichever you decide to go for anyway so its only one extra fee and its worth it to get both sides, some reversal surgeons are dismissive of your IVF chances and will say the reversal is the best route (don't forget these are private ops so there is an element of sales involved Confused ) so speaking to both is probably the best way to get a clear picture Smile
Overall clips are considerde most easily reversible as long as there's only one put on, cauterisation can be very damaging, but even with a simple cut and tie it depends how much tube is removed, some remove very little others a lot and sometimes the ends of the tubes are even completely removed , even with the full op report though you may not get much detail .
In your case though I'd ask him about the chances of a reversal on the NHS , they won't do IVF but if they did agree to do your reversal then you could always keep the money you save to go for IVF if it didn't work Question
Good luck xx
gardenfairy
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:23 am 
Post subject: having a bad day
Hi lpadies,
Thanks for your reply DL05 Smile not sure what id do without all the advice on here Smile
Well im having a `mare` of a day; firstly i left my iphone (that my lovely DH had gotten gold plated for Xmas) next to laptop whist i nipped to the loo and my DD(17months)was quietly playing BUT i came back into the room to find her splashing baby bath about grrr and yes went all over my phone! Sad Then had a phone call from GPs office saying had to cancel apt and rebook for Monday!! Sad
Needless to say i was very annoyed, decided to cheer myself up with a cuppa tea and cake, this day can only get better...
Hope everyone else is having a better start
Kerry x
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:00 am 
Post subject:
Aww hope the phone wasn't terminal and they don't mess you about again , once you've seen your GP though and got appointments for the bloods you could book your consultations , some will ask for a letter from your GP to confirm they know about your plans (a referral letter) others don't care , mine didn't want a referral letter but he wrote to my GP to explain what I'd had done as a courtesy , might be worth ringing any clinic you were thinking of using though to ask as you could get the letters sorted on Monday as well then Question
Jess1973
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:53 pm 
Post subject:
The only information my surgeon required was the method I was sterilised by. I didn't have any bloods done at my surgery prior. The only bloods my surgeon needed, which he took at the first consultation was an ovarian reserve test. He gave me an 80% chance of success at the first consultation, after taking my full history. The only other bloods I had taken were on the morning of the reversal, just to check I was fit for surgery, and to get blood group etc. I had laprascopic reversal performed by Dr Naidoo at Gyne Health in Manchester. It was a 3 hour op, and following surgery told me I will get pregnant. He was very confident about the chances of success. My friend has had IVF 4 times but found in her opinion,Mr Rutherford and Mr Balin in Leeds were by far the best.They discovered the cause of why her previous attempts had failed. She has twin girls now. Your other half will of course need semen analysis, we had this done through our gp prior to the first consultation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular