I concieved after reversal of sterilisation

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:28 am 
Post subject:
Jess unfortunately the doc who did my sterilisation seemed to want to make sure I'd never get pregnant again Rolling Eyes (This was the same doc who only asked me about it when going in for an emergency c section with a 7 week prem baby who was in distress , never discussed beforehand as I'd planned for a natural birth , and she was a woman as well Shocked Mad )
Well anyway she didn't use clips she cut , tied and cauterised my tubes Shocked so at the reversal one was stuck to my abdomen with adhesions and was also stuck together and not salvagable , and the other had to be cut down to 6cms to be reattached , I got an adhesion from the reversal which stretched that tube far over to the left (only discovered on a lap 15 months later ) so my tube couldn't reach the eggs from the right which is the side I mostly ov from, and by 6 months post op a HSG showed a proximal blockage, confirmed on two laps, I wasn't convinced it was scarring as I'd been told and pushed for a tubal cannulation which I finally had last October where the "proximal" blockage was nowhere to be seen , but sadly the cannular only went to the reversal site and neither that or the dye would go past that point, so my only tube is completely blocked by scarring fromn the reversal Sad
So although the adhesion and the proximal blockage have both now gone, i'm told this scarring is permanent and irreversible Confused I am currently trying some natural enzymes that are supposed to help shrink scar tissue so we'll see how that goes, but it does explain why I've gone nearly 2 1/2 yrs with no BFP after previously getting pregnant at the drop of a hat Rolling Eyes Laughing xx
Helen don't take any notice, she's probably just annoyed that you're not going to be at her beck and call for babysitting Rolling Eyes Laughing
My two oldest daughters ( I have 4 )were supportive when I told them I was saving for the op, although at the time I had an almost 2yr old grandson and my oldest daughter was pregnant , now my grandson will be five in march and my grandaughter will be 3 the day after, and I have a 3 month old granddaughter born in October as well Shocked Laughing I told them I was too young to be a granny yet but they didn't listen Rolling Eyes Laughing xx
Jess1973
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:27 am 
Post subject:
Helen, I am going to Baby Bond in Manchester for my 3d scan, I went there a few weeks ago for a nuchfold screening scan, (not available on the NHS in my area). I will be going at around 16 weeks,next week some time,that I think is the earliest I can find out the sex.I haven't booked it yet but appointments are available at short notice. A boy would be lovely, however I never believed we would ever have a baby full stop together so a healhy baby is all I am praying for. Any yes nature will decide when we are ready to stop, not our children ha. x

DL05, I'm so sorry your experience has not been a good one. Your right and obviously your surgeon did not intend for you to ever concieve again. Why on earth would they use that method, when clips are just as effective yet offer more opportunity to reverse. It's very irresponsible to put you under so much pressure at a vunerable stage, surely they should take some responsibility for that, wouldn't that give you grounds for free IVF on the NHS?. My friend has blocked fallopian tubes, neither tube is viable, but she has had success eventually with IVF. Dr Rutherford and Mr Balin in Leeds. She tried IVF with other clinics 3 times over a period of ten years. Mr Rutherford found the cause of why her other attempts had failed. She got twin girls on her 4th attempt. I wish you the best of luck with your enzyme treatment.
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:55 am 
Post subject:
Jess the sterilisation was in Germany at a german hospital used by the army (My OH was in the forces ) the british midwives used by the forces said I should sue the hospital as it was ridiculous to ask literally while being prepped for theatre Shocked Confused , but I had a prem baby to look after and was told then that it wasn't reversible so I didn't pursue it Question , by the time I found out it was reversible we were on our way back to the UK and needed all our cash to buy a house , my GP told me flat out that although the sterilisation should never have been done the NHS wouldn't reverse it Sad
So it wasn't until 2010 (8yrs on)we could afford to save for the reversal, by then I was 40 , so now after all the messing I've just turned 43 Rolling Eyes Embarassed Laughing so we've ruled out IVF as a viable option we could just end up throwing good money after bad Question , I'll try the enzymes and see if they help and if not then thats that , i'm not bitter about it though, a little sad but still glad i tried Smile ,better to try and not succeed than always wonder I think Question Smile Enjoy your 3D scan hope you get some good pictures Very Happy
Are you near Manchester then ? A few in the reversal section are, i'm just north east near the yorkshire border xx
Jess1973
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:33 am 
Post subject:
Aww I see. I think you definately have grounds to sue. I'm a registered nurse and know that certainly in my hospital trust that you can not consent to such treatment under undue pressure. In order to give your consent you have to be given sufficient information, have time to retain it, weigh it up and make an informed decison. I would say they were in breech of most of the NMC code of conduct, but I'm not sure who regulates Germany/the army. However in exceptional circumstances they can make a decision based on your best interests, if they needed to perform the sterilization to save your life for example. Money does get in the way, I would have liked to of had my reversal done years ago, but couldn't afford it due to saving to buy a house etc. I live in the north west of cumbria, an hour and a half drive to Manchester from where I am. Yes as we get older our eggs get less viable for IVF, however I would have used donor eggs if neccessary,had I not concieved naturally. My goal was to give my husband a child. I didn't mind if it was genetically mine or not.Well I am heading off to town now to put a deposit on a school prom dress, then off to work. Nice talking to you. Good luck. xxx
ladycake
Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:30 am 
Post subject: Reversal Op in 2 weeks
HI All, Thank goodness we have one board I can research as I am struggling to find any reviews on surgeons etc who perform reversal surgery

I have two kiddies 14 & 10 years and have been with my new husband 4.5yrs and he doesnt have any! We both would like one together and have consulted Mr Pickles in Nottingham BMI however he is doing an open procedure so as this is like a C-Section I'm dreading it

The cost is £4790 including a laparoscopy which he will do prior to the operation in case he cant repair them as I was cut cauterised and buried - If he cannot open me to do repair its £2500 for the laparoscopy
I feel this is really expensive but my DH happy to proceed. Im just really nervous he wont be able to proceed to repair.
Has anybody heard of this surgeon? Is he good? Or can anybody recommend good surgeons? My preference is to have the repair done via laparoscopy and not have my C-section scar opened up again. As it would have to be done again to deliver the baby at term if we catch??

I am 39 years of age and we failed one attempt at IVF hence why we have gone down this route

Please provide any information you have my gut is saying to research and look at costs with other surgeons?
JellyBean73
Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:52 am 
Post subject:
All I can say is that I had Dr Pickles do my surgery & he was fab worth every penny. I turned 40 in April had my Op last September and I am 5 weeks preggie today! Having my c -section scar reopened wasn't a problem bit tender for a month. But was back to normal activities quickly. Very Happy
michelletv
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:15 pm 
Post subject:
Hi ladies
how is it going with the pregnancy. Jess, you should have had your baby by now? boy or girl.
let us know how it is going.
Smile
Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:13 pm 
Post subject: Dr Pickles
Hi all

Had the surgery done 3 weeks ago today and feel great a little ledge above where he reopened my section scar but I feel good. I'm on all the vitamins preconception and hoping I catch this month but we will see

No other news. Dr pickles did a great job. 6cm in right 4 on left better than we hoped for as I was burnt cut and cauterised

Back to work and lifting again. Need to she'd a bit of weight. We're heading away in 3 weeks time on holiday. Can't wait. [/code]
michelletv
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:31 pm 
Post subject:
great new, keep us posted
enjoy the holiday! Very Happy
Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:05 pm 
Post subject: Dr Pickles
Hi all

Had the surgery done 3 weeks ago today and feel great a little ledge above where he reopened my section scar but I feel good. I'm on all the vitamins preconception and hoping I catch this month but we will see

No other news. Dr pickles did a great job. 6cm in right 4 on left better than we hoped for as I was burnt cut and cauterised

Back to work and lifting again. Need to she'd a bit of weight. We're heading away in 3 weeks time on holiday. Can't wait. [/code]
ladycake
Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:10 pm 
Post subject: Baby Talk!
Thanks Michelle
Really looking forward to the holiday - I am officially fertile as it says on my period log on my phone app...fingers crossed
It really is daunting for anybody trying after a reversal -I see what the ladies mean now in previous posts It kind of consumes you - I had a call from Mr Pickles gal in the clinic and she said due to my low AMH if I am not pregnant within 4 months I am to start cl*mid.

Anybody started this and can give any tips on what to expect?

X
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:03 pm 
Post subject:
Good luck Ladycake, quite a few women on here have taken clomid , try posting in the TTC section as well, from what I've been told from ladies on here you can either feel perfectly normal or it can make you a crazy lady Shocked Laughing
It just basically boosts your oestrogen early in your cycle and can make you release more than one egg so you have a better chance of at least one getting fertilised, trouble is before ov the extra oestrogen can make some women fell very PMS-y and after ov the extra corpus luteum from having more than one egg can massively increase all the normal 2 week wait symptoms, I've taken soy isoflavones and it does the same as clomid but in a natural form and it made me get every pregnancy symptom going Rolling Eyes was 100% convinced I must be pregnant as I was having dizzy spells, nausea the lot, was gutted when I wasn't as I didn't realise soy and clomid can do that to you but it seems it's quite common.
You just take it in the early part of your cycle , anything from cd1-5 to 5-9 depending on what your doc says, apparently earlier makes you more likely to have 2 or more eggs and later just improves the egg you get Question
It can change your cycle as well sometimes women will ov sooner sometimes later , with the soy I found if I took it earlier like cd1-5 I ov'd sooner if I took it 3-7 I ov'd later Question
I suppose being moody is worth it if it works Wink Laughing x
ladycake
Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:50 pm 
Post subject: Clomid
Hi DL05 - thanks for the advice they are preparing me for that if i haven't caught within 4 months they said! I am kind of all over the place, the operation was 4 weeks ago on Monday and the scar is really good but my app on phone says I should be fertile now but when I have tested with ovulation test it is still showing negative. I know one side is better than the other. Suppose being so new to this after reversal i am gathering as much information as I can lol Smile
Nothing else new, scar good recovery has been very fast I expected to be off my feet longer but I am glad I wasn't.
Fingers and toes crossed, we head away for a holiday and typically AF due the day before we go...but at least if not this month we can relax on holiday.
Thanks again and good luck to all trying I have read that many reviews and everybody's case is so different. Some not being successful at all others have been so lucky x
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:10 am 
Post subject:
Your cycle could change as well because the blood supply to the tubes and ovaries is the same and when they cut the tubes it can affect the blood supply to your ovaries, having them repaired can have a knock on effect on your ovaries , my cycle went from 30/31 days with ov on cd16/17 to now anything from 26 to 29 days with ov as early as cd13 Question
So I'd just keep testing , those apps just give you fertile days based on averages though so if you have a shorter luteal phase it could still be a few days yet or if you ov quite early in a cycle it might have already happened Question
CM can be a good clue (honestly the things we discuss on here Laughing ) if you notice it becoming clear and watery that means ov is closer and when it goes stretchy (like raw egg white)its a good sign ov is very close, after ov then it goes stickier and white/cream again , most months I can pin down ov to one of 2 days just based on cm and subtle things that are signs for me
,like wanting to rip the OH's head off just because he's eating near me Embarassed Laughing
( I get PMS type signs just before ov as well lucky me )
I also get a headache and bloating some months just for one day though, I sometimes wonder if Mother Nature realises you actually need to have sex to get pregnant with all the glamorous possible side effects of ovulation Rolling Eyes Laughing
Some women get spots, cervical tenderness during sex, headaches, sore boobs, needing to pee more, one sided pain the list just goes on Rolling Eyes Laughing
Helen10
Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:07 pm 
Post subject:
Hi ladies hope you are all well...

lady cake all this ttc totally messes with your head.. AF is due on friday hope it doesnt show. Ive felt all sorts of signs and symptoms I have felt different but probably just because ive never noticed before. Dont think I could be as lucky to fall in the first month of trying..

anyway we are off on holiday in 4 weeks so hopefully will be a good time to chill out.

helen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

Community

Popular