How long were you in hospital for?

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:52 pm 
Post subject: How long were you in hospital for?
I'm due my second baby in June and am supposed to be having a c-section, but I want to know how long I can expect to be in hospital for?

With my first I stayed in for 5 days (because of baby more than me) but I am really hoping that this time, as it is my second, I can go home the following day at the latest, as I don't want to be stuck in hospital - I hated every second on post-labour ward and really hated the feeling that I was judged, watched, manhandled and really spoken down to by the midwives there, but mainly I am so terrified of leaving my little boy, even though he'll be with Daddy, because I can't bear to be away from him for more than an hour or so! I know I will be busy with Pudding and will have another baby to care for to - but I really want to be home with both of them and my husband to be our little family together and find our own routine and be relaxed rather than being in hospital separate, with the midwives all telling me how to do it and different things and getting into trouble for doing one thing that is suggested when it was another midwife that told me to do it! I get upset just thinking about post-labour - to the point where I've already spoken to my community midwife about going against medical advice and begging for a natural birth to try and avoid having to stay, but then that could land me in longer time spent in hospital than if they just do a c-section... Sad

How long were you all in for - I'd really like stories from the simple c-sections that went without a hitch to the worst case scenarios Sad
xxx

zachariahelijahmalakaimum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:35 pm 
Post subject:
Wiv my first section i was in the normal three days and this section i was in for four days.......and they were both emergency sections Sad

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:37 am 
Post subject:
Mine was an elective! Stupid how they call it that just because it was planned in advance its not like I opted for it!!
But anyway I was in for 2 nights and walked out at midnight the third night for exactly the same reasons you listed plus I was furious with the care!! I probably could have gone after 1 night if they weren't so overun and were unable to spend the time to discharge me. A friend had an elective a few weeks ago and was allowed out either than night or night after because her mums a nurse and they persuaded them to let her go xx
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:38 am 
Post subject:
on the ward where i volunteer its 48 hours minimum but each hospital may have different policys x
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:44 am 
Post subject:
My section was planned and I had to be put to sleep, had it Tues lunchtime and came home Thursday so 2 nights. Couldn't get out of bed for the first 24 hours so definitely needed the second night x
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:42 am 
Post subject:
Hun are you going to Salisbury District? I begged them to let me out on the 2nd day and they did. Im planning on doing the same this time round and its all in my birth notes. The main thing that they like to check is that you have a good support network at home to help you and that both you and baby are ok.

xxx

baabaabaa1001
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:30 pm 
Post subject:
with my second ( its was an elective ) i was asked if i wanted to go home the day after - just over 24 hours since the op - i told them not a chance in hell mainly cause little man was in neonatal with grunting( gunk from section on his chest ). after they went i was talking to a another woman and they had told her the same thing they just wanted to get rid of us so they could have the beds! i ended up sleeping in 3 different beds during my 5 day stay!!

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:50 pm 
Post subject:
I was in 4 days (after the section but 5 days before as well Laughing ). This was for 2 reasons, a)I was reallllly ill from the general and both my lungs collapsed and also because Alex was having trouble latching. They wanted me to sty in longer to get the feeding right but after 9 days I was going stir crazy.

Having said that I had brilliant care both before and after I really can't complain.

I've been told this time (different hospital and borough) I should be out in 2 days Smile

Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:00 pm 
Post subject:
I was in for 5 days but i had to be put asleep. I also had severe pre eclampsia, very low iron and platelets. I also am dreading going in. I hate being away from my daughter and she will prob stay with my mum or brother as its likely i will be put asleep again !! I am really really hoping though that even though i have low platelets again this time that i won't be kept in for 5 days as I'm pretty sure that's what started off my pnd Sad

Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:01 pm 
Post subject:
I was in for 5 days but i had to be put asleep. I also had severe pre eclampsia, very low iron and platelets. I also am dreading going in. I hate being away from my daughter and she will prob stay with my mum or brother as its likely i will be put asleep again !! I am really really hoping though that even though i have low platelets again this time that i won't be kept in for 5 days as I'm pretty sure that's what started off my pnd Sad

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:24 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you ladies - sounds like 2-3 days is normal unless there are complications... Sad

I am at SDH Rachey - I shall definitely record it on my notes that I want to escape ASAP and will make a point of all the support I have at home... Smile Thank you for the hint! Smile x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular