Toilet training

sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:12 am 
Post subject: Toilet training
Hi. DS is now 2 years and 7 months (thereabouts), for the past 4-6 months 90% of the time he does not pee during the night. Goes to bed at 19:30 wakes up at 7:00 with a dry nappy.
When he gets up he asks to go to the toilet and pees (not every morning, but often).

If he asks to go on the toilet during the day, he always pees immediately.

Creche thinks he is ready for toilet training and everyone says the above signs say he is ready.

So Friday afternoon I decided to bite the bullet and start. So no nappies. He did really well went 3 times in a row (got a sweet afterwards - I've now changed that to stickers), then he proceeded to pee on the couch. Refused to go on the toilet again and peed on the couch again.

Saturday morning, dry nappy, went to pee first thing, so put him in undies for rest of day. Sometimes he wanted to pee on toilet and didn't, otherwise he wanted to, but didn't. He had about 5 pees on the floor/couch during the day. Argh....... I felt like he got fed up with my constantly asking if he wanted to pee on the toilet. And I also got fed up with it. I know I'm not supposed to show anger etc..

So we're doing it again today. But last night I couldn't sleep worrying that maybe he wasn't ready. Is the above normal? Should I just keep trying? I always thought boys were toilet trained late. He has been very early with everything else.

He goes to creche tomorrow, where I think they keep him in nappies but regularly take him to the toilet.

Should I keep trying? How often should I ask him if he wants to pee on the toilet? And if he says no, do I "make" him or just leave it?

thanks! xxx

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:33 am 
Post subject:
When I first started with Lewis I left him rude on the bottom and asked him every 10 minutes if he needed a pee.. After a few hours I cut down on asking and asked every 15-20 minutes. He would sit on the potty and not do anything.. It's normal for them to have some accidents especially when you first put pants on them as they are used to having a nappy on. I found that leaving him rude meant that he got used to peeing on the potty before trying not to pee his pants Smile hope that helps? X
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:35 am 
Post subject:
Thanks. If he said "no" when you asked him if he wanted to pee, did you just leave him be?

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:41 am 
Post subject:
It's hard to tell when there tellin he truth sometimes if he was engrossed in playing with something and said no I would put him on the potty anyway to be sure. But there are signs to look for too like jiggling and pulling their pants.. The first few days are hard though and we had a few accidents but he was dry in a week. And only had a few accidents since Smile x
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:42 am 
Post subject:
Fingers crossed Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular