Homebirth list

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:58 pm 
Post subject: Homebirth list
I noticed there was a hospital bag list but there isnt one for homebirths. Obviously to have a home birth you may need different things so I wanted create a list for women that wish to have homebirths but like me cannot remember all the little things they might need.

I have just remembered dry nights disposable bed sheet things are handy
birthing ball
plastic floor sheets

any other ideas as I want to be fully prepared this time but cant think what I'll need xx

wannaBmummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:46 am 
Post subject:
Not too sure about the home birth part but I would make sure you pack a hospital bag as well just in case things don't go to plan.

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:17 am 
Post subject:
I would have loved a home birth but was too scared. If I have another then will opt for a home birth if all OK with pregnancy.

I agree and would also pack a hospital bag just in case. A lot of the things you will need either way so handy to have everything in one place.

Do the midwifes not bring stuff like bed pads and plastic sheets? Stock up on snacks and energy drinks.
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:09 am 
Post subject:
No they dont bring much, they brought towels before and pain relief just incase. Ive always been afraid of hospital births as all the ones i have seen on obem seem a bit dramatic.. Never been afraid of a homebirth just because for me home seems like the safest place.. I see hospitals are for people who are ill and birth isnt an illness.. I guess its where someone feel safe as if you dont feel safe you will have complications.

I hope I dont get taken to hospital, I dont see how I can tbf unless i bleed like last time but by then I had already given birth so didnt take the bag I packed for hospital in the end.

I cant think for the life of me what I need, plastic sheets and bed sheet things is all I can think of. need to jot down bits and bobs over the next few months so I dont forget. xx

dixxychick
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:12 am 
Post subject:
I had a homebirth with my 2nd but wasnt planned. We just used LOTS of towels and that was about it. My hubby delivered our baby but when paramedics and mw turned up, they had nothing xx

wannaBmummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:11 pm 
Post subject:
Maybe get some cheap shower curtains to put down for the mess. I was told that even if u choose to have a home birth, the chances of u actually getting one is only 50-75% because so many things can effect it, ie they just don't have enough midwives to send one out to u at that time, or baby becoming stressed, miconium on the waters etc. or if u go over and have to be induced then it has to be in hospital. Not saying this would happen to you but it's probably beat to have a bag put away somewhere just invade to avoid panic.

I really wanted a home birth this time but my husband wasn't keen as we live half an hour away from hosp an he was worried something would go wrong, I couldn't have done it without him being 100% happy with it because god forbid something did happen I would never be able to forgive myself. One of my friends is due in a couple of months and is having a home birth but her hubby is really not happy about it, I definitely think it should be a joint decision.

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:21 pm 
Post subject:
Hi hun...I had like a box with shower curtain and old sheets to labour on (Never got used Rolling Eyes made a right mess of my bed!!) Towels..lots of them for mum and baby, extra pjs and underware and maternity pads so the OH or MW's aren't searching. Baby clothes and blankets and nappy's. A bowl for the sickness and gooiness Embarassed . Bin liners to bag up all the mucky sheets. Maternity notes and contact numbers. Birth plan. Ohh and a camera Smile
Also kept my essential oils and TENS in there too just so we knew where they were when we needed them.

Thats what was in mine and I used none of it Laughing With being at home it was just automatic to go to the drawers and bathrooms and such for things as we needed them

I did do a small hospital bag too just incase...you never know!
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:19 am 
Post subject:
Lol, was just going to say I'm sure Zee will be able to help with this one, then scrolled down to see her reply xx

jenneve
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:42 pm 
Post subject:
I have had 2 home births and here was our list,

Towels,
Maternity mats,
Cardboard box with bin liner in
Tea, coffee sugar and milk! (for the midwives!)

I had a birthing pool and no pain relief, the other things we had due to the pool were a thermometer and a sieve (for erm.....poop!)
The midwives bring the rest.
If you want music make sure you have that, twinkle lights are also a nice relaxing touch.

Just want to also add that home births are fantastic!!! Very Happy

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:54 pm 
Post subject:
jenneve wrote:
Just want to also add that home births are fantastic!!! Very Happy

They are amazing! I had one with my daughter but due to tearing really badly I had to go to hospital after the birth. Its only been 2 years but I have forgotton what stuff to get as my mum took care of most of that Laughing

I am doing natal hypnothearapy this time too so really hoping for a very natural birth.. more so than last time. I was going to get a birthing pool for this time as they are only 100 quid but I found the bath made contractions more painful for me last time so had to get out after 5-10 mins Question perhaps it was because the bath was small..

Thank you for all your replies ladies xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular