Thinking about formula.

Bigdog
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:10 pm 
Post subject: Thinking about formula.
I thinking about getting some formula for the 8 week old. What do i need to know? are they all the same?

Thanks
hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:23 am 
Post subject:
I don't really know this either, me and my partner just read the boxes and opted for aptamil!
The only things I didn't like with aptamil is that it was NEVER on offer and never will be as for some reason it is not allowed and it was a very sensitive milk which went off pretty easily such as if you like to make your bottles for the day, they formed a jelly substance at the bottom. They expect you to boil the kettle as your baby is screaming for their feed, wait for it to cool, make the bottle, then feed! Ridiculous! But I did just have pre made bottles of cooled boiled water in the end and heated when necessary! Xx
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:42 am 
Post subject:
My daughter started with sma and It was great at first but as she grew it wasn't filling her up so was recommended to try aptimil and found it much better for her, tried cow and gate once and wasn't really taken by it. Agree about doing a batch of cooled boiled water to be prepared for feeds , I had so much stick of midwives and people telling me it was wrong but I found it very upsetting and stressful to make bottles when she was screaming for feeds it made the 'baby blues' really bad for me. Each to there own I suppose. I think the only way to know which milk is best for ur LO is to try them be careful of switching to much tho it gave my lil girl poorly tummy at first when I swapped brands xxxxx

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:04 am 
Post subject:
I went for SMA as that is what my mom used with me, so I figured it had been ok for me. But my daughter was really sicky, and the hv just kept saying some babies are, but when she went on hungry milk it was even worse so tried cow & gate and she was loads better, and a few people have told me that SMA can make babies sicky.

lysianassa
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:16 pm 
Post subject:
With Sebastian I used Aptimil and had no issues with it - used the same for my daughter and she kept being sick with it so have put her on Cow & Gate hungry milk.

It's just trying to find one that works best for your LO

Jup
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:36 pm 
Post subject:
My best advice is don't bulk buy until you know what your LO likes.

I started my LO on cow and gate but it gave him excessive wind so changed to SMA which was great, he's now on the follow-on-milk. I did once try him on the extra hungry milk but this gave him very bad constipation so had to stop it after a few days.

I make a couple up in the morning and a couple up at night. If you do make them in advance then you'll need to add the formula to cooled boiled water (wait 30 minutes after it boils), then cool the bottles in a bowl of water and then put them in the fridge.
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:38 pm 
Post subject:
Izzy had SMA and never had any problems but we switched her to Aptamil at 8 months as her nursery provides it free!It is a bit of trial and error really x
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:32 pm 
Post subject:
I used aptamil with all of mine. Only because my sister did with her kids and my other sister has used it with her kids too. I haven't tried any other milks so I can't compare. I breast fed all of them for 12 weeks and 6 weeks, then swapped to it.

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:53 am 
Post subject:
I used / do use aptimil with both girls - I make pre-made bottles of milk up and store in the fridge, 3 at a time then put them in a jug of cooled water to heat up before feeding so I only have a 5 min wait. I did try with other formulas with evie but she couldn;t stomach other brands so we just stuck to aptimil this time round too (There was a thread on this in feeding and weening recently).

Try the cartoons before buying powdered milk to work out which one is best for your LO if you are planning on going down the furmula route

xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular