Stairgates

Jup
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:38 am 
Post subject: Stairgates
Hi, I'm looking into buying some stairgates. I want pressure fitted ones so we don't have to screw into the wall. However upstairs one end of the stairgate would be fitted into the wall and the other end into the 'weak' wooden banister. Does anybody know if a stairgate can be put onto a banister? 
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:52 pm 
Post subject:
We have BabyDan, true pressure fix I think it's called. It's fitted to wooden posts both sides and so far seems to be working well.
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:31 pm 
Post subject:
I don't see why a pressure gate couldn't be fixed to a banister, as long as it has a flat surface to attach to it should be fine.

I will add tho that once you baby gets to about 18 months old and is toddling about and throwing strops a pressure gate isn't really the best. We fitted a pressure gate and the hubby and I both tested it by pulling and pushing it and it seemed fine.....2 weeks lata my LO throw a strop and stood shaking the gate and it came lose. She was pushing herself against it so when it fell she did too so on that note I would NEVER fit a pressure gate directly across the top of the stairs.

xx
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:38 pm 
Post subject:
Yes I think ours could be moved by a stroppy older toddler, it's fine for now though. Ours is at the bottom as there is no way to fix one at the top so if we're upstairs then we shut the door to whatever room we're in. When George gets a bit older we will have to figure something out and maybe put a stairgate on his room.
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:49 pm 
Post subject:
We had to get a wall fitted one as the pressure fit one pushed our bannister out too much and wasnt secure, wouldnt take the risk at the top on the stairs luckily we have a alley type landing so we have the gate there xx

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:55 pm 
Post subject:
I know a toddler who broke a screwed in stair gate so I would say that neither are 100 per cent reliable. We have a strange staircase and cannot fit any and so I'm in the midst of designing something I can put at the top if my stairs with hardwood that will slot it at the top of the bannister. I'm lucky because downstairs I shut the doors so he cannot go to the stairs but he knows not to anyway.

I wouldn't advise screwing one into the bannister rail though. I did look at pet stair gates as I need a extra tall and extra long stairgate and they do them but couldn't buy one as they say not suitable for use with kids.
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you for your replies. I didn't know you shouldn't  have a pressure fitted gate at the top of the stairs. I did goggle it and it does make sense. I think we'll have to have a rethink about the top of the stairs.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular