Potty Training = One stressed out mummy..

KatyandDylan
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:35 pm 
Post subject: Potty Training = One stressed out mummy..
Hi Ladies,

I have a three year old boy who will be starting pre school after Easter. He is a very strong minded child who knows what he wants. I have tried numerous times to potty train him and have failed.
I have attempted to start his potty training again today so then he will be ready in time for pre school, which hasn't gone to plan... yet. Since this morning my lo has managed to wet himself twice and laughed (so he knew what he was doing) without telling me he needed to go. My husband is no help either he just tells me to put Dylan back into a pull up nappy for a quiet life. To be honest I just feel like a complete failure at the moment as friends with children of the same age have had no problems with potty training their lo.

Thanks
Katy Crying or Very sad
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:52 pm 
Post subject:
I started on Friday afternoon with my DS and was lying in bed Friday night (and Saturday night) in tears, ready to quit!

What hard work!

I took away his nappy and put underpants on him. The toilet doors have a poster up with lots of stickers to be added when he uses the toilet.

Friday he had 2 wet pants (was only a couple hours before bed time). Honestly, I was going to give up Saturday, but he woke up and straight away asked to pee on the toilet - which he did. Saturday he had about 5, even though I took him to the toilet every 20min - exhausting. He would go 3 times in a row on the toilet, then immediatly after go and pee on my couch - this happened twice!

Again, Sunday morning I was all ready to quit (I was exhausted at this point - DH was travelling) and again he asked to pee on the toilet as soon as he got up. Sunday I was abit more relaxed about him going to toilet - maybe every 30min. He asked to go 4 times himself and only had 2 accidents. I was very impressed. He loves the sticker idea, once he has been on a few times he gets a handful of little sweets. Once he has been on lots then he gets a small present. Yesterday he got a present because I was so impressed with him.

But I asked at creche this morning, and although I understand, I think it sucks that he has to wear pull ups there and as soon as he has a wet bum then they put him in normal nappy and thats it. Also they only take the kids twice a day (he only goes mornings) to the toilet - 9:30 and again 11:30. He is there at 8:00. He needs to be asked much more than that in the learning process to go to the toilet. Plus creche he is very busy playing with friends etc.. so I doubt he is going to ask any time soon to go to the toilet.

We put him directly on the toilet and no pull ups at home. He has a little seat that fits onto our toilet. When I go to the toilet I tell him I'm going and he can come pee too. This seems to help him want to pee. I go, then he goes Smile

What methods have you tried so far? If your DS laughs at you, just ignore it, don't let him even see that you "noticed" that he laughed. I know we are not allowed to get angry/frustrated etc... If DS wets his pants, I say in a funny voice, silly billy, you are supposed to pee on the toilet not on Mommy's floor and make a joke of it. I then remind him to come to me if he wants to pee.

Remember every child is different. Your son will probably outdo your friends kids at something else! Wink

Try not to get stressed about it as I think he will pick up on it. Is he at home all day with you? I have DS in shirt and underpants all day (and socks), no trousers. I find this helps him realise more, than if I were to put some jeans on him.

Good luck! I never knew it was SO hard!

xxx

abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:57 pm 
Post subject:
When we were training Izzy, I put her on the potty every half an hour for the first few days, then every hour until she got the hang of it. I just said 'oh dear, now where are you supposed to go to the toilet?' if she had an accident but she was actually pretty good most of the time - she never weed on the sofa! Keep trying, you will get there but try not to go back to pull-ups or you'll send mixed messages to your LO.

Sweetpea, your nursery don't sound helpful. Izzy's were great - I sent her in pull-ups and they asked if I was potty-training and when I said I was, they just said to send lots of changes of clothes and they'd take her every hour. She had a timer with an alarm so they knew it was time and, although she only goes one day a week, she's, touch wood, only had two accidents whilst she was there. I push them a bit to be more supportive. x
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:25 pm 
Post subject:
yes, I'm not very happy that the creche deals with it the way they do. He is there 4 mornings a week... Lets hope it works out okay.

I don't want to give up.. Sad

How do we deal with poo's? Sorry such a lovely topic... Today for the first time since I started training on Friday afternoon he has done a poo in his underwear. Before I think he was just 'lucky' to get it done while still in his night time nappy.
I saw him go to the corner and knew what he was about to do, so tried to get him to go to the toilet but he point blank refused. I really don't want to be dealing with poo in underwear everyday.....

Embarassed

I know it takes them longer with poo's in general to do it on the toilet, but how am I supposed to handle that area?

Any advice would be great thanks.

xxx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular