Mother in Law rant, just need to vent!

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:28 pm 
Post subject: Mother in Law rant, just need to vent!
We rubbed along reasonably well until George arrived but now she grates on me so much. Luckily we only see her around once a month. It's a shame as she lives with SIL who is lovely and George loves.

She thinks now George is walking I should potty train him. He is one, she insits all her Children were potty trained at this age. We went to visit this weekend and she has brought him pull ups! I told her that they are basically nappies and we will train him when and how we see fit. She said she just wanted to see how he got on with them. I was like good luck changing him when he's had a poo then.

We have been to stay this weekend, he is not the best napper in the world anyway but she makes this 100 times worse and will interfer so he doesn't sleep. She says she didn't let her children nap in the day. So after a day with them and us Saturday he crashes out at 6pm (really too late for a nap but too early for bed). Me and OH are going out so being fairly flexible as I am I say let him have 30-45 mins then wake for dinner and give him an hour before bath and bed. Not sure what time he got put down but he needed to catch up on sleep. She burst in our room at 7.30 to ask if we want a coffee, shoves her head in his cot and says is he awake. I was like well he is now! Wouldn't mind if she got him up and played with him but she then disappears off to do her jobs for the next hour or so.

She has fed him far too much all weekend despite me remarking several times she was giving more to a one year old than she eats herself. She fed him so many grapes he had a sore bottom, he had 5 poos on Sunday!

OH thinks I over react but I really want him to say something as she doesn't take a blind bit of notice of me. I understand that when others are kind enough to look after him then they will do some things there own way but I feel like she has a complete lack of respect for me. It's all the advise and implications that get me as well. OH is just like oh thats Mum.
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:18 pm 
Post subject:
aww hun mother in laws are the worst! you dont feel like you can say anything and your other half likes to keep the peace.. we've had a few problems with my mil over feeding my 2 and interfereing.. count your blessings.. you only see her once a month.. i live next door to mine.. we see her 2/3 times a day!! :/ although she seems to have calmed down a bit recently.. x
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:35 pm 
Post subject:
It is tough. When my parents or my MIL look after Izzy, I tend to let them sort out their own way of doing things and we bump along nicely like that. However, the pull up things would bug me. Could you perhaps say 'thanks, we'll put those by for when he's ready?' It's really tough especially if your OH isn't helping!
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:10 pm 
Post subject:
Argh the inlaws and their ways!!! My inlaws are not allowed under any circumstances to babysit with my DH agreeing!! They've seen my son about 8 times since he was born and we live less than 10 miles away. 5 of those times we went to their house! They have a dog they treat as a child and I do not trust them with the dog and my son.

You should ask if potty trained at one was that nearer the age of 2!!! You are home now and can relax..
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:18 pm 
Post subject:
Oh I feel your pain. I'd say more but I'm 95% certain she reads what I write on these forums. HIYAAAA DEB!!

Tessytoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:28 pm 
Post subject:
Ooooooh the joys of Inlaws!!! Laughing

We have had soooooo many problems in the past with MIL... and its exactly the same for me, OH wont say anything to her or thinks Im over-reacting, he wants to keep the peace and only seems to say ''its just mum'' I dont feel I can say anything..

She has been awful in the past with interferring etc but seems to have calmed down a little now.... still has her moments though!! Laughing
jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:38 pm 
Post subject:
Aww hun why do in laws need to cause so much grief?!
Saying that, it's my own family who were on at me about potty training from the boys were 18months (they weren't even walking!) but I stuck to my guns and told them they weren't ready and I'll do it when the time is right and they eventually stopped.

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 pm 
Post subject:
Oh that its just mum thing is annoying! There is only so many times a person can be "tactless" etc before it becomes intentional.

pepperpot
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:32 am 
Post subject:
My mother in law is horrible, not really to the kids but to my dh so I can't stand her. I'm going back to work soon so going to use that as an excuse not to see her for at least a year!

With the potty training thing, there is research to suggest (Im sure its a load of rubbish) that babies trained before 3 are more likely to regress and have toilet issues in the future. Might shut her up for a month or two! Laughing x

Xxxpolxxx
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:56 am 
Post subject:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular