Baby bumped head

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:46 pm 
Post subject: Baby bumped head
Hi ladies

Need some advice please... 18 month old lo almost fell off bed tonight. I managed to save her by grabbing legs, but she flipped top half of body back and smashed the back of her head against a chest of drawers. A big soft lump appeared near top of back of head at right side, and there is a red ring at the point of contact.

She screamed her head off straight away and screamed whilst I put a cold compress on it. she then had a bath and then I kept her up for 30 mins, in which time she had some milk and played and seemed ok in herself.

Do you think I should get her checked out/wake her during the night. Ive been googling and it's scaring the life out of me, more so because of how hard she hit head and lump is soft and not hard.

Thanks
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:57 pm 
Post subject:
I would say leave her asleep (if she wakes give her a dose of calpol in case she has a headache), however if it was me I would check her temp periodically as that could be a sign of concussion. Don't worry too much, I think in the last ouple of weeks my son has banged his head about 15 times, jeez on saturday he headbutted the reaidiator at full running speed and bounced off Shocked that was scary. All children at this age seem to do lots of bangs. xxx

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:02 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks trace... Is it if her temp goes up that it's a sign?!? It was scary how loud the bang was!! Not sure if would have been better if she had fell onto the carpet instead!!
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:07 pm 
Post subject:
why not ring nhs direct and just ask them for advice, each child is different but they would have a professional opinion ( im not saying anyone elses opinion is wrong btw) xx
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:10 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks, I just didn't want to be over reacting... Then wondered if I should be worrying more!!
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:23 pm 
Post subject:
aww hun its so scary isnt it?! lewis is probably the clumbsiest child i have ever met (to the point i took him to the doctors) i just check him an hour or so after hes gone to bed and again before i go to bed. 99% of the time hes been fine Smile i just make sure hes breathing fine and not too hot, i worry more when he goes pale? fingers crossed only one incident has had him at a&e so far and that was caused by his brother pushing him into the fireplace xx
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:27 pm 
Post subject:
Try not to worry I've lost count of how often my little man has bashed his head. Last week he had 2 lumps on his forehead with cuts (climbing as usual) and I just wasn't quick enough. Screaming straight away is a good sign and every time I put a cold compress on any bump he screams!
When my niece got concussion she was vomiting and dizzy almost immediately. The school wasn't certain if she got knocked out too. She was checked out and sent home fine at a&e.
in the morning if she is drowsy then get her checked but I suspect she will be fine.

First of many I'm tempted to get my son a head guard!!
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:33 pm 
Post subject:
my daughter is always bumping. she fell out off bed the other week, managing to bump her head on the metal frame of the chair in her room. big lump came up, but she went straight back to sleep, next morninf no sign of it.

when she was about 10-11 montsh old she had a push along walker and was pushing it across teh living room, built up speed, and crashed into the post at the bottom on the stairs, went over the walker banging her head on the corner of the post. Huge lump came up, she screamed, but settled quick and within a couple of days the lump had gone down.

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies, that's put my mind at ease a little. Just so worrying, she's forever bumping her head but this has been the worst!!!!

Jump to:  

Community

Popular