The morning/evening run

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:42 am 
Post subject: The morning/evening run
I'd like to have a go again at bf'ing the new baby but am worried about how you fit it around dropping off/picking up my older one at nursery, well not just that generally I'll be on my own so how do I get the both up dressed and the baby fed before I have to do the nursery run?

Really stressing how I'll cope with 2, especially at get-up and bedtimes, I know thousands do it, but my older one (19 months tomorrow) seems to need sooooo much attention.

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:53 am 
Post subject:
I found breast feeding was the easiest thing with another child , no prep needed and you can do it anywhere Question Even in the back of the car if they decide they need a feed while you're out Smile
Plus you always have one hand free to still help your toddler out with anything from getting dressed to reading a story to stopping them from doing things they shouldn't be doing Rolling Eyes Laughing
bath times I did the baby first in the big bath with my daughter helping by passing me things Laughing and then put my daughter in while I dressed baby in the bathroom (I was lucky enough that one of those changing table on wheels fitted but I could have done it on the floor on his mat Question ) and then once baby was dressed I got my daughter out and dressed her, it hardly took any more time than doing one Question
Trying to get them to "help" works well though as it distracts them from getting up to mischief while you're doing things with the baby and helps them feel involved, my daughter would often get her doll and copy nappy changes and things like that as well Laughing
You do get into a routine surprisingly quickly though Smile xx
pepperpot
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:31 am 
Post subject:
Don't worry too much you will find your own routine. I just make sure I have everything as ready as possible the night before like packed lunch done, clothes out etc. I agree that bf is easier than you think, my boy was 21 months when Sophie was born and when I was sat feeding her I made sure I had books, cars etc ready on the sofa so I could feed and have time with him too. We don't have any family around so it is hard and at times you will want to pull your hair out but it is only for a short period.

I find it harder now than I did then with all the grabbing and pushing now she's more mobile and wants his toys! X

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:45 am 
Post subject:
thnx ladies, its stessing me out so much, not sleeping and getting really emotional the closer to birth I get, altho of course these are normal pg symptoms anyway.

Someone throw me a chill pill Embarassed

pepperpot
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:45 am 
Post subject:
Don't lose sleep over it you will be fine! Also don't forget as soon as you've had baby you will have so much more energy. Just get prepared beforehand with lots of meals for the freezer etc.

I think it's harder going from 0-1 babies than from 1-2 xx

RosP
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:06 pm 
Post subject:
I had a 21 month gap and took the elder one to nursery 3 days a week. In a way the nursery run helped to establish a routine, I can remember feeding in front of breakfast TV when I got back.

You might be surprised how much he progresses on 2 months - I remember thinking at 18 months that he still needed help eating cereal but by 21 months he could feed himself breakfast.

And baby doesn't have to be dressed for the nursery run - nothing wrong with a sleepsuit.

My main recommendations are to prepare your toddler's meals fully in advance of sitting him down - satsumas peeled and segmented, lid off the yoghurt (even if this is all out of sight) - so that you can bf at the same time. Also to plan your toilet trips and nappy changes well - it can be difficult to control the older one whilst dealing with baby.

Good luck!
Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:16 pm 
Post subject:
I used to worry too as my OH works shifts so not able to help at 'peak' times lol.
I breast feed my lo and as the lady above said iys actually easier cos you always have one hand free Wink
I have a wrap sling that helps too when bf.

As for morning runs..as long as my son is washed dressed and fed and im dressed allowing myself 15/20 for a nappy change and bf I pop tilly in a snow suit and in the car seat and were off.
Then come back and get her washed and dressed.

Night times... I offer tilly a feed before we start the bedtimes routine for my son. She'll either sit in the carrier if shes fussing or will happily coo in her cot whilst I tend to my son.
Then we all go for story. Tilly gets bathed ofter olivers in bed. Then I can sneek a quick shower whilst she lays on the change mat in the bathroom Smile

Dont stress about it though. Does your OH get paternity? If so practice whilst hes around at least if you get stuck he can help but then you learn for the next day lol
You'll find a good routine and you'll no doubt tweek it here and there as the weeks go by x

Jump to:  

Community

Popular