laundry

Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:15 am 
Post subject: laundry
Hey ladies i need some advice lol. We are currently a family of 4 soon to be 5.

I feel i do quite a lot of laundry a week and i have a 9kg washing machine !! Most of the laundry comes from my step son, he is a complete mare for shoving loads of laundry in the basket. And even now in the space of 24 hrs he puts in so much i can't even get it all in mhly large machine !! Thing is once baby is here i know it will get worse and its gonna drive me mad. I hate washing stuff that doesn't really need washing.
Thing is we've talked to him, told him there is no need to have so much washing, its ok for a few days then back to normal. I've tried sorting through the stuff and giving him back what i think is clean and within a day its back in the basket. I tear my hair out sometimes. My husband, daughter and myself do not have as much washing in a week as what he does in about 2 days.

So....i was thinking. Do i get him his own laundry basket & tell him i will put a wash on of his stuff like every 3 days ? If he has too much to go in a load it then waits till the next time ? Is this fair ? I don't want to be cruel but he's got to realise that with a baby as well i can't keep washing his clothes all the time and why should i take up time sorting through it all.

123babycakes
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:20 am 
Post subject:
I remember you talking about your step-son before (I have a step-son who is nearly 20). If I remember rightly he's late teens?

Why don't you make him responsible for his own washing. Tell him he can use the machine on, say, Wednesdays and Sundays for instance, and then it is up to him to look after himself.

I wouldn't say it's being mean ...I would say it's helping him to get independent. He won't have someone doing his washing for him forever.

Have you considered this before?

15.08.09 Gone but never forgotten
An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth, then whispered as she closed the book "Too beautiful for Earth"
Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:30 am 
Post subject:
Hi thanks that's a good idea. Yes he is 18. I feel like I'm always moaning about him but honestly i have never known anyone who goes through washing like he does. I mean he even changes his socks and underwear twice a day ! I think that maybe good i was sceptical because i thought he would just use it all the time and like things like the washing up liquid etc he would use way too much but yes set days is good Smile

123babycakes
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:40 am 
Post subject:
If you give him set days then hopefully he won't interfere with your own routine ....I know what it's like when that washing moutain is so high you can't see over it! Laughing

It might make him a bit more picky about what he throws in the wash bin. Hopefully.

Best of luck. Smile

15.08.09 Gone but never forgotten
An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth, then whispered as she closed the book "Too beautiful for Earth"
Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:00 am 
Post subject:
Thank you Smile

Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:01 am 
Post subject:
Thank you Smile

emmie02
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:30 am 
Post subject:
i agree wit that. Hes old enough now to do his own washing. Its not being mean its giving him "life skills" Laughing Plus if he were at Uni hed be doing his on stuff.

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:34 am 
Post subject:
I think giving him his own basket is a good idea. My mum did that with me and it did make me realise how much I was putting in and also spurred me to do my own washing. Teenagers are awful for putting too much clothes in the wash. I was the same and my sisters are at that stage now too.

Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:16 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies. He's quite a good lad for being an 18 yr old but the washing is a nightmare ! I think part of it is the fact i had moved out of home by then i was running my own house lol.

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:50 pm 
Post subject:
I had my own laundry basket from 15 and had to do all the familyironing..I also had to pay 25 pounds a week board just for my room (I was never home in time to make any tea(had to be done and cleaned up by 6) so I really dont tthink theres any harm in asking him to wash his own clothes.. He might stop changing them as much Wink x

Jump to:  

Community

Popular