New Here

WishingandHoping
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:50 pm 
Post subject: New Here
Hello All,

I have lurked for a little while now on this site, but this is my first time posting, I hope I am doing it right...

A little about me: I am 27 years old, been married almost 2 years, but I have been with my husband going on 7 years.

We have been trying to conceive for 11 cycles now. I had no idea it would be this hard emotionally, (I am crying as I write this). A few of my friends have struggled with infertility, but you have no idea how hard it is until you actually go through it. So I wanted to say I am sorry to all that are going through this.

I know it hasn’t quite been 12 cycles for me to officially be "infertile" but I am still struggling. I am looking for support and advice.

My husband already had a semen analysis and all they said was "it's normal". I don't know their definition of "normal", I just have to assume it's not him.

I went off of the birth control pill in April of 2012, and it seemed that my periods started right up normally, no problems (other than being sick from withdrawal from the pill). I went to the doctor in September because I have a nodule on my thyroid, she took a blood test to make sure my hormones were ok, and if my thyroid was an issue and it all came back normal. We have been using OPK's since July, and every month they show a surge. I have a 24 -29 day cycle typically. I do not chart because I do not have a consistent sleep pattern. I never get any ewcm, but I have read online that sometimes that’s ok.

I’m at the right weight for my height, I don’t smoke, I don’t drink, no drugs, I exercise consistently, I think I lead a healthy lifestyle. I am a vegetarian and I am already on a pre-natal.

The only thing I am worried about is that I get VERY painful cramping during my period. I have read the symptoms for endometriosis, but that’s really the only symptom I have.

I am just lost. Thanks for listening if you made it to the end. Any advice or support is greatly appreciated.
TTC1stbaby
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:18 am 
Post subject:
Welcome to askbaby! The ladies here are all wonderful. The ttc journey can be a rough one. Hang in there.

Good news is you are almost at the year mark!! That means the testing begins! Don't be disheartened. There is so much they can do.

Just bc you get the surge does not mean you ovulate. The best way to check this is to take your temp every morning with a bbt. It won't predict ovulation but it will let you know if you have ovulated.

Have they done any ultrasounds to check out your ovaries? The next step the drs will probably take is have you do blood work to check for ovulation. If that fails there is alot of fertility drugs to try!!

Good luck!
WishingandHoping
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:34 am 
Post subject:
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I think next month I will do my best to chart, and do whatever it takes to get a consistant sleeping pattern. Will the ultrasound be able to see if my tubes are blocked or what will that tell me?
TTC1stbaby
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:55 am 
Post subject:
They should be able to but I am not to familiar with it.

I have heard they usually do the ultrasounds first of all to check for endometriosis and pcos. To check your tubes they have to use dye with it.

I would talk to your dr abt testing your tubes.
WishingandHoping
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:07 am 
Post subject:
I had forgot to mention, but about 5 years ago I had an internal ultrasound to check for endo because my periods were so painful. I paid for it out of pocket (like 800$) and they didn't find anything, but said that doesn't mean I don't have it. (When we kept saying ultrasound I just kept thinking of an external one, which I've never had).
Lara47
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:30 am 
Post subject:
Hey wishing. As ttc1 said, the ladies on here are awesome. I've lurked on other sites and people are just scary.
This site is the most positive and helpful ones I've been on.
It's so hard being on the ttc trail isn't it?
I've not had tests yet, as I have to lose weight before they will help me.
I live in Australia, and things happen very differently to the UK.
Where abouts are you?
Wishing you all the best. Feel free to chat anytime.

Me 38 DH 27 (
married 2007)
PCOS - Back Disease - Thyroid
MC - 2 Jan 2009
TTC since 24 June 2009
Cycle - most recent 850 days
Desperate to conceive baby #1
WishingandHoping
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:28 am 
Post subject:
Hi Lara,
Thank you very much for your kind words. Yes, this trail is very, very hard. More so than I ever could have imagined. I find myself feeling very angry about it. It's just so unfair how it's easy for some, but others struggle and some are never able to have children. I am from Michigan in the US.
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:44 am 
Post subject:
I just wanted to welcome you to AskBaby the Ladies on here are lovely and there are quite a few women who've been trying for longer than the average time ,so you're definately not alone Smile
Once you've been trying for a year then you can normally get referred for tests, but it doesn't mean you're automatically considered infertile or even low fertility , or that once you get to that point with no pregnancy it means it won't happen naturally Smile
The stats say that something like 94% of couples who try consistantly for 2yrs will conceive Smile But really who wants to wait that long , and there's no point waiting if there's the possibility of having a problem that could be hindering things Question
Cramping during AF isn't always a sign of endo, some women just have it for no apparent reason Question
There are so many things that need to happen at just the right time though for you to get pregnant that its no wonder sometimes it takes a while , do you know how long it is between when you think you ovulate (probably the day after you get the positive OPK) to the day before AF starts, thats called your luteal phase and it needs to be 10 days or more for a pregnancy to happen , some docs like it to be at least 12 days .
If you know you get a LH surge then you could have a progesterone blood test done about 8 days later to see what your levels are, that can confirm ovulation and pick up low progesterone levels (which are very easily treated) BBT does do that as well but it can be tricky if you don't have a regular sleep pattern although you still might see a rise over the month ,but the blood test would be easier Laughing
Not seeing ewcm isn't a problem as long as you do have some internally after all its job is to be near the cervix and help protect the sperm so the closer it stays to there the better Laughing but if you don't get cm at all that can be a problem if you never notice any changes or that you feel wetter down there at ov time (sorry for the TMI Embarassed Laughing ) then you might need something to boost your cm production, drinking plenty of water helps as being dehydrated reduces all mucus membrane secretions, basically think if your mouth and nose feel dry so will your cervix Shocked Laughing Grapefruit juice is a good natural way to increase ewcm production with no side effects, and evening primrose oil works for some women but it could possibly slightly alter your oestrogen levels (I found it was hit and miss for ewcm and seemed to give me mood swings Question ), another thing you could try is pre-seed which is a lubricant thats been developed to mimic ewcm , you can get it in the US as one of the reversal Ladies is over there and she's using it Smile
TTC is hard though and the annoying thing is its mostly down to luck Rolling Eyes
I hope you get some answers when you see your doctor though , good luck xx
leanne17
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:40 pm 
Post subject:
Hey hunni welcome Smile you will find it easier to speak to people, the support from other women on here is amazing and Im not sure what I would do without being on here, iv been TTC for 5 years in October, I have an under active thyroid which stops the hormone that tells your brain to ovulate from doing its job, drs do say your thyroid will be ok but the breakdown of the test is in more detail, they told me that and when I spoke to my dr he said that the hormone was still a little low but the rest of my levels were ok so they class that as ok, I am newly married but been with my partner 7 yrs, we've had two miscarriages so far, I would stick at it Hun and use this site for support and advice because it helps a lot good luck and lots of baby dust for u xxx

WishingandHoping
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:14 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you Leanne and DL for your replies, I really appreciate you taking the time.

My Luteal phase is typically right on target at 14 days, I have seen it as little as 13 though. That's usually how I figure out when AF is due, 14 days after the positive on the OPK. (My cycles are 24-29 days, so this gives me the best estimate). I usually find I ovulate at day 10 - 12.

My CM does change throughout the month, TMI Alert: sometimes its watery, sometimes more creamy, but only maybe once when I first started to conceive did I see ewcm. I use the swipe method, since that's usually the only time I can see anything. I did try Mucinx for two months, with a large glass of water for each pill and I noticed no change Sad I did discontinue because of that, but since now you are mentioning it again I may give it another go this month. I have never heard of the grapefruit juice helping, I will have to try that Smile For the pre-seed, I already own pre-conceive Smile I again tried that for maybe 2-3 months, but I have since discontinued since it didn't get me pregnant and while we have sex we do make enough lubricant not to use anything, so I just thought trying naturally would be best, what do you girls think? Give it another go or when you make enough to just try it naturally?

I also have another question, since my husband's sperm is "normal" (He abstained for 3 days prior to the analysis) should we BD every day or every other day?

Thanks for all your help!
dlovebabiest
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:21 pm 
Post subject:
Hello and welcome. I love it here because these people know exactly what you are going thru and we all know that sometimes other people in your life dont. Anyways goosluck on your TTC and baby dust your way!
KazM
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:13 pm 
Post subject:
Hi and welcome. As has already been said, the ladies here are very supportive.
Sometimes it's just good to know someone else understands.
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:18 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Ladies,

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I agree, it's very nice to know I am not alone in this.
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:26 am 
Post subject:
With a normal sperm count then everyday is fine if you want to do that, you might have slightly less sperm each time as there's only so many a man can make Laughing but they will all be fresh ones,every other day you'll have more but some will be older and if you wait longer than 3 days some will have died off completely(they only live 3 days max once they're mature) so anything from everyday to every 2 or 3 days is fine Smile
The grapefruit juice really works, I was surprised , as I thought it was an old wives tale, but there is actually a chemical in it that has an effect of making your gut absorb more of certain things and it can boost your oestrogen, I would say though it can interact with some prescription meds statins for high cholesterol and some heart meds for example so you need to make sure you're not taking anything that means you shouldn't drink it Smile It should say on the chemists label if there's an interaction Smile
The cough meds more to loosen the mucus and make it easier for the sperm to swim through rather than increase the amount so you might not notice a difference yourself but it could still be helping Smile xx
Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:30 pm 
Post subject:
Hi and welcome!!
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular