Naming after a deceased

AngelDelight
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:24 pm 
Post subject: Naming after a deceased
I really think I'm having a girl and have always been stuck on girls names. My nan who I loved dearly died 5 years ago now when she was 91. She never even got to see my first born so in memory of her I'd love to use her name.

She was called Nellie. Now I know it's old fashioned and my oh thinks of Nellie the elephant! I'm not sure if I'd use it as a first or middle name? Honest options what do you think. I don't mind Nell when she's older. But if I have this name oh then wants to use his nan's name who passed away suddenly this year. She was called Edna.

So if this would be the case it would be called ' Nellie Edna Avery. I'm really not sure what do you think and would it go with Joshua?? When they are older we could have a Nell and a Josh?. Xx

WantToBeAMummy
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:13 pm 
Post subject:
I think Nellie Edna is lovely! Smile
It's personal preference but I think it's a lovely idea to name uoir little one after a loved one who has passed away. I would definitely consider it when naming my own children.
I think I'd stick to doing it with their middle names but again that is down to personal choice Smile
But yeah, Nellie Edna is beautiful xx
WantToBeAMummy
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:14 pm 
Post subject:
I think Nellie Edna is lovely! Smile
It's personal preference but I think it's a lovely idea to name uoir little one after a loved one who has passed away. I would definitely consider it when naming my own children.
I think I'd stick to doing it with their middle names but again that is down to personal choice Smile
But yeah, Nellie Edna is beautiful xx
RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:51 pm 
Post subject:
I like it! We decided on Alice for our little girl and found out afterms that it's actually Joe's great grandma's name! I think naming after family is a nice idea.. We just dont like any of our close family names.. Lol x
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:27 am 
Post subject:
I decided to name my first daughter Hannah before I knew it was my mums grans name , it wasn't a popular name at the time but I liked it so I didn't care what other people thought Laughing Was your nan actually called Nellie though, as often names like that were short ofr other things, or even not a persons actually name Question I only found out a few years ago that my now dead uncle Danny was actually called William , this was after my sister named her son for him thinking he was called Daniel Shocked Laughing
Nellie can be a short form of Eleanor ,or even Helen Question
I think Eleanors a lovely name Smile
I like a lot of the older names although I have to say i'm not keen on Edna personally (maybe edna birch on emmerdale and a grumpy old auntie on my mums ex put me off that name though Laughing )
But its what you like that matters and I don't think that you need to "match" names to your other children either Question I don't think its something anyone else would give a second thought to Question
I've got old english, biblical, celtic and scandinavian names for my children Question Laughing xx
amyxpearce
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:00 am 
Post subject:
Oh I love it. You can't beat old names x
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:40 pm 
Post subject:
I love Nell as a name, Nellie is cute too. Old names are lovely but there is a limit, and I think Edna is probably about there. Could you convince your OH to go with an anagram of it? Nellie Dena for example I think is quite sweet. Or as has been mentioned, Eleanor, Helena, Eleanora etc? Question
Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:36 pm 
Post subject:
I think its a lovely name.

I like Nellie too so i can shorten it to Nell.

I love the Old names. OH isnt so keen though Sad otherwise Belle would have been called Edith.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular