dreams

Xxxpolxxx
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:22 am 
Post subject: dreams
well i have been applying for midwifery for the last two years as it is really hard to get into and the university's i can apply to are limited with having a family and not been able to move. well i have been wondering if i should just give up on want to be a midwife and get a job, it is the only thing i really want to do but it is soo much hard work if i ever get a place the hours are long and then there is the essay as well and i dont no if its fair on my kids as i would hardly see them. have you given up on your dreams or stuck to your guns and for filled your dreams? any advice or experiences would be fab xx
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:58 am 
Post subject:
i would stick with it hun. if it is something that you really want to do and can make work for you and your family, then follow your dreams.. i went back to college 2 years ago to get my hairdressing qualification.. passed my course in june and found out at the beginning of august i was pregnant again.. lol, but the qualification is there now, i can use it after this baby is born Smile xx
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:23 am 
Post subject:
ive already done my access course and now im doing a course at uni but feel like the only thing i ever say is we will do that when ive written this or in a minute. having a bad day today though i think its all get a bit much Sad
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:46 pm 
Post subject:
When I was little my mum studied at uni. She started it before my parents got married, but was so sick of books at some point that she stopped. Then when we were all born she picked it up again. It worked fine I think. I remember her sitting at the dinner table surrounded by books while I played with things (I'm the youngest, so my other siblings would've been at school).
Sometimes she'd take me to uni if she had to go and see someone, or when I started to go to school, our neighbour would pick me up if she had to go.
It hasn't harmed me nor my brothers at all. Smile When we were all older, she got offered a job she loves with what she studied. So, it could work I would think. Smile
I don't remember missing out on anything due to her studying. We still did fun things as a family too. Smile
It will be hard work I presume combining it all, but def worth it in the long run. Smile
Xxxpolxxx
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:01 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you im glad someone has experience as a child of this i am soo torn xx
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:53 am 
Post subject:
I don't want to put you off, but I'd do a lot of research into if it will be worth doing, as they've slashed the numbers of midwives being employed by the NHS at the moment and its hitting the newly qualified midwives the hardest, with many having to go abroad to find jobs (place like Australia and New Zealand love UK midwives).
Plus there are less and less training places available Question
Obviously it takes a while to qualify anyway so things may have picked up by then but its a risk Confused I started the application process a long time ago, when they were really recruiting and offering training incentives,but then stopped while having my youngest daughter, speaking to midwives while I was pregnant made me realise its a very hard job to do with a young family , very unsociable hours , and these days with all the cut backs and understaffing it can only be worse Question
The single main reason why I never reapplied though was that I didn't want to have to work within the strict rules in an NHS hospital Confused (the rules are made up by money managers and are more about protecting themselves from being sued than about patients wellbeing Rolling Eyes ) as there were many things I didn't agree with and would have found it hard not to say anything, but as a midwife you have to toe the line and you're not allowed to have opinions Confused
Don't get me wrong I think it's a fantstic thing to do and I can see it being very rewarding but 3yrs is a long time to study when there might not be a job at the end of it Question
I don't think there's anything wrong with studying to better yourself when you have a family Very Happy and me and the OH often do courses.
I'm doing one now which won't be finished in full for 2yrs , but I (hopefully) can get work from it sooner , I think it's great having dreams and abitions but you also need to be realistic :)The course i'm doing won't get me my dream job which would be something in forensics/medical research , but I know deep down thats not going to happen Rolling Eyes Laughing
We did spend a fortune on him becoming a qualified electrician just in time for the bottom to drop out of the property market and for house building to come to a halt which then meant he couldn't get the work Rolling Eyes so he then had to take another job anyway Rolling Eyes Which was annoying, so now the plan is to stick to courses and qualifications that can be used for a variety of jobs Smile
Some people go into Nursing first then do the midwifery course (its only 18months then) and then they have both qualifications to fall back on Question xx
Xxxpolxxx
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:08 am 
Post subject:
I do know all about the cut backs and hours you work while training ect and they are stopping the 18 month conversion so i wont be doing nursing first. Becoming a midwife isnt some thing i decided on after watch obem i have spent the last three years researching and volunteering and getting work experience within midwifery so i have seen first hand the cuts and struggles the nqm have to get jobs but none of this is whats putting me off. Its just my kids missing out that is putting me off Smile

Jump to:  

Community

Popular