Tested positive for GBS :'(

yorkie101
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 am 
Post subject: Tested positive for GBS :'(
Well what a wknd I have had..

Got rushed to delivery suite on Fri with contractions that thankfully stopped shortly after arriving. While I was there I had swabs taken, I got the results back yday..

I have Group B Strep :'((

Me & dh are freaking out atm abt it, can anybody with any experience of this infection pls give us some info as mw was very vague abt it. I asked a lot of questions but all she kept saying was ask your consultant.

I rung my consultant first thing this morning, just waiting for her to ring me back. I have not slept very well as am so scared for babys safety, as if we didn't have enough to worry abt with the Graves disease anti bodies crossing my placenta. We now have this infection to deal with...!! :'((

Thanks a very worried 2nd mummy to be.. x
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:22 am 
Post subject:
i dont no much but my friend just had a baby and she had strep b they gave her anti bodies in labour and kept her in hospital to check the baby every 3 hours after she was born for 2 days i think, everything was fine and she went home after two days xx
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:33 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for replying hun

So glad to hear ur friend & baby are fine. I have just got off the phone to my consultant she has answered a lot of my questions but I forgot to ask if I could still have a water birth grrrr Rolling Eyes xx
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:36 pm 
Post subject:
Sorry I don't know much about it but hope you're ok. I thought it was just an infection which required mum to have antibiotics in labour and baby to have possibly have antibiotics once born. Hopefully your consultant has reassured you! x
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:14 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Yorkie

I'm trying to get rid of GBS infection as we speak! I was never tested for it during pregnancy. I believe that if they know about it beforehand then during labour you would have IV antibiotics and after birth they will observe baby and possibly give them antibiotics too. Then hopefully you should both be fine.

As mine wasn't found before the birth, I had the baby a month ago now and then 4 days later I had a really high temperature of over 39 degrees. The hospital wanted me to come in and although they didn't know what was causing fever they gave me IV paracetamol and IV antibiotics and took a swab. They kept me in for 3 days by which time the swab results came back testing positive for GBS. They sent me home with some oral antibiotics. After I'd finished them, about 3 days later the fever returned. I went back to hospital, they took another swab, gave me another week's worth of a different antibiotics and sent me home.

A few days later the swab showed the infection was still there. Last week I got yet another fever and went to the GP and am now on another course of antibiotics for tonsillitis! Basically my immune system is rock bottom at the moment so my body is struggling to fight off infections. I have lost a lot of weight but finally feel not too bad.

Through all this, my baby has been absolutely fine and has shown no signs of being ill so can't have had infection passed on to him.

Hopefully since they have picked up that you are a carrier of GBS already the antibiotics in labour should prevent any of the dramas that I've had since birth!

Also don't know about water birth as I was induced so was stuck on a bed with the drip and an epidural!

Xx

yorkie101
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:31 am 
Post subject:
Bless ya it sounds like you are really going through it atm hun.
I hope you start to feel better soon.

Yeh, my consultant had said although its not nice having the infection, it is good that its been picked up before birth. She has said I will be put on IV anti biotics when labour starts. I have asked if I can be induced as I am very worried there won't be enough time for them to work if I have another 2hr labour like I did with dd as mw said the anti biotics need to be in me 4hrs before labour actually starts. X
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular