Canesten Cream

Faerydae
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:28 pm 
Post subject: Canesten Cream
LO has a really bad nappy rash that just didn't look right to me, so took him to the doctors and had them stumped as to what could have caused it but she prescribed canesten cream to start with to see if it helps.

had a read through the leaflet though and it says not to use on broken skin, only problem being that some of the rash is pretty much open sores so I don't know if I'll cause more damage than good applying it? Question Sad
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:12 pm 
Post subject:
I'm having this problem at the moment although Lola was prescribed a steroid/ antibiotic cream or whatever, I expected to at least see some sort of improvement after 2 days use and have been researching that caneston should do the trick! Could you let me know how it goes? Thanks xx
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:14 pm 
Post subject:
yeah this is a steroid canesten, only started using it yesterday and it's not really improved yet so hoping it will by tomorrow... just really hoping I'm not causing any damage by using it on open sores Sad
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:09 pm 
Post subject:
I was given this for my sons nappy rash which was horrific, basically open sores due to problems he had with constipation. Make sure it is a very thin layer you put on and it should be ok. I was worried for the same reason but I used the tiniest amount and it helped x

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:38 pm 
Post subject:
Lola just became hysterical so I've just rushed out to tesco and there is actually a lower dose caneston FOR nappy rash, so I've got that and hoping it works!
I've also found out that putting petroleum jelly on open sores protects them from germs and I've bought another nappy cream starting with 'm', I forgot its name but its meant to be much better than sudocrem as apparently sudocrem doesn't let their skin breathe whilst this one does!
I'm determined this will go asap!! Haha xx
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:16 pm 
Post subject:
hayley2903 wrote:
Lola just became hysterical so I've just rushed out to tesco and there is actually a lower dose caneston FOR nappy rash, so I've got that and hoping it works!
I've also found out that putting petroleum jelly on open sores protects them from germs and I've bought another nappy cream starting with 'm', I forgot its name but its meant to be much better than sudocrem as apparently sudocrem doesn't let their skin breathe whilst this one does!
I'm determined this will go asap!! Haha xx

That'll be metanium. That stuff is fabulous. I always kept a tube of that for when liams bum got really bad. It was about the only thing that healed it quickly. You only need a pea sized amount of it though as it spreads really wellx

Faerydae
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:43 pm 
Post subject:
thanks Smile least I know I'm alright putting it on the sores then! it was starting to look a bit better when I put him to bed Smile

might grab a tube of metanium to have on hand for if he starts to get bad in the future Smile
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:50 pm 
Post subject:
ahhh was just searching through a drawer looking for something and found a tube of metanium barrier ointment, checked the ingredients and it's almost identical to the metanium nappy rash cream so shall be slapping a load of this on him tomorrow between using the canesten Smile
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:29 pm 
Post subject:
My youngest has dirty nappies 4/5 times a day. If he's not changed quickly he gets terrible nappy rash. I have found the caneston was brilliant! You only need a tiny bit too.

Faerydae
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:56 pm 
Post subject:
Poor LO. the rash is no better and he's been poorly the past couple of days aswell Sad

took him back to the doctors this morning and she thinks that his temperature and generally being unwell is related to the nappy rash so now he's carrying on with the canestan cream and also on Calpol and Antibiotics Sad
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:18 pm 
Post subject:
I found bepanthem the best, its expensive (fiver for a small tube) BUT you only need a tiny bit and I found it clears it up really quick, you can see an improvement overnight.

I think its a bit of trial and error because different creams work for different skins.

Good luck.

Faerydae
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:58 pm 
Post subject:
at the moment I'm using metanium in during the day (only allowed to use the canestan twice a day so use it when he gets up and before he goes to bed) I doubt it'll make a difference to switch the cream though because tried all sorts with no improvement so guess I'll just have to hope that the steroid cream and antibiotics will clear it up soon.

just feel so bad for him because he's got a sore bum, feeling poorly AND teething, poor little man can't win at the moment and keeps giving me big sad eyes
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:21 pm 
Post subject:
If he's teething that could be the cause of the nappy rash and the temperature xx

Faerydae
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:23 pm 
Post subject:
this hasn't happened with any of his other teeth and both doctors have said so far that the rash looks far too bad to be caused just by teething aswell (they both said it's the worst they've ever seen Shocked )
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:28 pm 
Post subject:
Teething nappy rash is actually supposed to be more severe than normal nappy rash so I don't know why your doc told you that. And I don't think cos it hasn't happened with other teeth, it can't happen now x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular