health visitors

Xxxpolxxx
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:40 pm 
Post subject: health visitors
I had a letter yesterday off the health visitors to say that they where coming out to meet me before i had my baby and that they had enrolled me on a new parents course! I rang them to say that i doubt i will even be pregnant at the date of the appiontment and that i already had two children so if i dont no how to look after a baby now surly it was time to give up. I was upset thinking someone had reported me or something as the health visitors in the past have been for the first appointment after the midwife left and then they never came back again, but the women on the phone didnt even know i was expecting twins and was fine about me canceling the appiontment. So is it a new thing to meet you first or have i been reported for something??
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:30 pm 
Post subject:
My SIL had to have a house visit from a HV at about 36 weeks they discuss things like where the baby is going to sleep etc and they check around and point out possible hasards. basically its a chance to have a nosey. I think it must be something new in some area because they don't do it in my area
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:33 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you i have been really worried that someone had reported me or something as i never had it with the other two xx
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:53 pm 
Post subject:
Xxxpolxxx wrote:
Thank you i have been really worried that someone had reported me or something as i never had it with the other two xx

No don't worry, plus it would be social services that contact you if someone reported you for anything.

Relax
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:00 pm 
Post subject:
I did think that as well i just went into overdrive when i read the letter x
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:40 pm 
Post subject:
when I moved to my new house in spetember and enrolled at the docs, I got a visit from the HV (she didn't know I was already pg at this point) just to let me know about the service they offered and how she and her team could assist with the one I already have (she wasn't even bothered if he was there or not)

I think its just a new thing they are trialling Very Happy

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:54 pm 
Post subject:
Shocked Oh good god I can't imagine anything worse... mind you - had I had that visit before Samuel was born I would have known not to let our HV in the house after he'd arrived. I have a terrible relationship with my health visitor and now refuse to see her, and instead request to see the nursery nurse every time, or else I tell them I want a GP appointment instead. With Pudding I plan to have as little contact as humanly possible with them, and am even thinking of moving surgery before Pudding arrives just so I don't fret over which HV is going to turn up on the doorstep once she's here because if it is the same one, I wouldn't be able to let her in and would be really quite worried about it.

In a way though I think it is a good idea - a safety check and helpful hints etc, a chance to chat without being on a timer in surgery and the chance to meet them before baby arrives - I'm just glad that it's not done here! If I had a nicer HV I would quite like the idea though! Smile x

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:07 pm 
Post subject:
MingoMayo wrote:
Shocked Oh good god I can't imagine anything worse... mind you - had I had that visit before Samuel was born I would have known not to let our HV in the house after he'd arrived. I have a terrible relationship with my health visitor and now refuse to see her, and instead request to see the nursery nurse every time, or else I tell them I want a GP appointment instead. With Pudding I plan to have as little contact as humanly possible with them, and am even thinking of moving surgery before Pudding arrives just so I don't fret over which HV is going to turn up on the doorstep once she's here because if it is the same one, I wouldn't be able to let her in and would be really quite worried about it.

In a way though I think it is a good idea - a safety check and helpful hints etc, a chance to chat without being on a timer in surgery and the chance to meet them before baby arrives - I'm just glad that it's not done here! If I had a nicer HV I would quite like the idea though! Smile x

I must say in my last area apart from one HV they were all lovely, the one that came to see me in my new area was lovely too, she said it would be a 20 minute chat, we were nattering for nearly 3 hours Shocked just about life in general but then my life history does tend to do that to people lmao

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:22 am 
Post subject:
I haven't heard of that either but they're putng all sorts of new initiatives in place these days! Maybe they didn't realise you had other children and only noted you were expecting twins so maybe wanted a chat to discuss how to cope with two at once?

Sounds lovely though, I loved my health visitor she was so realistic and friendly! Xx
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:08 am 
Post subject:
I'm not a fan of hv myself.. only because they poke their noses in where theyre not wanted. I'm not sure if it was just the one I got but it put me off for life. When she came round she saw that I was holding Ava and wouldnt put her down and told me I was wrong for doing so that she needed to learn to sleep alone (she was 3 weeks old! Shocked ) No baby of mine is being away from me at that age. I politely told her thank you but no thanks and that I would raise her how I wanted.

She also threatened to get social services involved as I made a choice to hold off on her vaccinations as she had just had a tough time in hospital so wanted her to have some rest before getting them.. I personally think a few weeks old is too young anyway but thats just my opinion but I know 100% she had no right to threaten me with the social.. Luckily I have moved since so hopefully I will get a less interfering one this time Smile

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:44 pm 
Post subject:
Shocked oh my Avasmummy! Really? Vaccinations are 100% OPTIONAL anyway so she had no right at all! x

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:02 pm 
Post subject:
Yeh I know. I'm glad I did hold off on her vaccines though as one of them put her in hopsital she got so ill from it, had she been any younger I dread to think how bad she would have been.

I think alot of health professionals like to intimidate young mums though.. they like to make you feel like youre doing an awful job etc..I remember one nurse suggested I wasnt doing the best for ava by not allowing them to perform a lumber puncture on her (as when she was in hospital she had suspected menegitis at 2 weeks old)

It was hard enough seeing them take blood from my newborn there was NO WAY in hell I was letting them perform a lumber puncture.. they explained that i wouldnt have been allowed in the room at the time too! Not to mention she was only a trainee.. probably just wanting to get experience, the nasty woman! Luckily I am extremely head strong and medically very clued up.. and very protective Laughing

Xxxpolxxx
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:08 pm 
Post subject:
I think some health professionals like to throw their weight around im glad i canceled the appointment now lol x

Jump to:  

Community

Popular