Moving to a new place

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:33 pm 
Post subject: Moving to a new place
Oh and I are thinking of moving to somerset. We currently live in London but its just too expensive and not that nice for the money imo

I am so disorganised and dont know where to start. How would we be able to do it? any ideas? He would have to leave his job so when we move there we would have no money so its a big risk but really want to move to a more peaceful area for my girls. We have some family there (not as much as we have in london but at least we would be able to meet people through them) not sure how long something like this will take to plan.. It is going to be difficult with 2 under 5's i imagine..

Anyone up and left where they lived? how hard is it.. like I said im so unorganised so any advice would be very welcome xx

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:11 pm 
Post subject:
would it b best for oh to try and find a job.before you move. i moved from somerset to devon 18 months ago. i know there are jobs there but it might take a little while.

if i was you and your oh i wouls contact some local agencies to find out about work....there iis a stong chance he will earn less so account for that. also look on rightmove at properties and prices. xx

emmie02
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:43 pm 
Post subject:
We moved from Wiltshire to Cornwall in September.

Dh got a job first then we looked for a house to rent. Was very quick.

When DH was applying for jobs to begin with he didnt have much luck as we were not living in Cornwall, so we told them on his nxt time around we were moving i September to a particular area (one we knew had lots of rentals- as did a LOT of research first) then he got the job!

It took about a month to get i all sorted, we found a place very quickly to move into. We come down one weekend and visited 4 places and ended up going with the first place Laughing

I was a bit stressful but totally worth it and id do it all again 2moro.

We also moved so that Belle would have a better healthier life growing up here than living in the city.

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:20 pm 
Post subject:
Do your research first.

Costs of renting a property
Water rates
Council tax bands and rates

Your partner will be better off looking for work first.

Costs of moving.

I've relocated a few times its not as hard as you think but does take longer with kids and no help.
Relocating is easier to do when the kids are not settled in a school too
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:04 pm 
Post subject:
Someone mentioned the water rates. If you are looking to rent in the area make sure they have a water meter rather than non-metered water rates (although I suspect meter for renting would be the norm) as South West Water charge over £1000 a year for non-metered water.

15.08.09 Gone but never forgotten
An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth, then whispered as she closed the book "Too beautiful for Earth"
Lindseylou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:09 pm 
Post subject:
I did the total opposite and moved from cornwall to kent near london just because of the job front and I would say research first before you move. I would make sure OH has a job and also it will be lower wages than what you would be used to being in london.

Ive lived up here now 15 years and wouldnt change it. Even though my family is all down in cornwall.
XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:25 am 
Post subject:
Thats the thing.. I love London be HATE paying 1200 for a tiny 2 bed flat with no garden. I feel by moving I could give the kids more.. I wish I was rich I really do, then I could live in a big house and stay where I class as home. Seems like the minute I have money it has to go on a bill that is in arrears or something. So hard keeping on top of it all and if rent was half the price I wouldnt worry about it. Plus the accomadation and area would be 100x nicer.. OH isnt as keen on the idea as me, we still have alot of thinking to do but I might just persuade him to go for it, the only other problem is Ive just made lots of friends here in London, would have to start all over again.. so many things to consider xx

Lindseylou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:11 pm 
Post subject:
Avasmummy,
There is alot to think off when moving anywhere. I moved away for the money and job prospects after living in cornwall and it is hard to get on.
For family it is lovely but i would get a job before moving as it is harder getting jobs down that neck of the woods so to speak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular