Nursery problem

lyn53lyn
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:22 pm 
Post subject: Nursery problem
Hi girls I was just wondering if you could help reassure me or have any advice, today when I pick my boy 2 1/2 years up from nursery the head teacher was waiting for me she said the staff were concerned that Marc might have a hearing problem or something. I asked why she said he sometimes seems to be off in a wee world of his own. She says he is alway pottering about on his own and doesn't really interact with the other kids and sometimes when the ladies are speaking to him he ignores them? He does ignore me too sometimes but it's definitely more a case of selective hearing!
Anyway iv to go in to sit in class and see how he interacts when I'm there and if that doesn't show a difference he's to go for a hearing screen then some evaluation?
I'm so upsett tonight he's really good when not in nursery chatty confident interacts with his friends and all the kids in Sunday school he is an only child but has a few close friends I don't know what I can do to help him in this situation have any of you had simalar experience or any tips? he has reached all milestones on track and is Pottytrained etc and is fine with change new situations and things
Thanks in advance
Lynne
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:24 pm 
Post subject:
Oh he has been in the nursery since 9 months old!
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:56 pm 
Post subject:
It may be worth getting your lo's hearing tested. My daughter has failed two hearing tests at school and we are waiting for a hearing test appointment for a proper check.
Little children don't always play with other children they just play alongside them. I work in a nursery and we have a little girl who won't talk to us, but we know she can talk and she chats away to her mum and dad. All children are different. I wouldn't worry. At least the staff are telling your their concerns and trying to help.

lyn53lyn
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:54 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks shellm I think it was just the shock that got me in a state every day I pick him up I ask how he's been they say good ! My mind is doing ot thinking do they think he's got autism etc I just need to see how it goes they did say he has days where he's really good and other days where he looks like he's in a dream land I just don't get it! Oh well time will tell! Thanks again
Lynne
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:29 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, I know it must be really difficult, but please try not to worry too much about this. I have lots of years experience working in nurseries and it sounds to me like they are just being over cautious. Ofsted requirements now are that child care workers do development checks on 2 years olds and raise any concerns with parents, so it might be something as simple as them just trying to keep up to date with their Ofsted paperwork!

I would go with what they are saying and take one step at a time. I think you would know if it was something as serious as autism as he wouldnt be sociable at home and with friends. Is he quite a shy child? Some children simply dont get on well in a nursery environment as they feel lost in the hectic busy setting. Maybe he would thrive better in a homely environment like a child minder.

Hope everything is well with him, I can understand what a worry it must be, but really think the nursery are just covering teir backs.
jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:41 pm 
Post subject:
Don't worry too much. Obviously I can't assure you that his hearing is fine but I know that your description of your son sounds like my son. He tends to potter about himself too and ignores us pretty much constantly but he has had 3 hearing tests since he was born due to him being premature ( the last being last week) and he's passed them all so all those signs don't necessarilymean he has anything wrong x

juliebarns
Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:48 am 
Post subject: No worries
I really wouldn't be worried about your son. In this case as you said before, I think it is more selective hearing instead of impaired hearing. It is probably a good idea to go to the nursery and see how he behaves with you being there, and how it contrasts with his behavior at home. Best of luck to you!
------------------------------
Julie
lyn53lyn
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:37 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Girls
Thank you so much for the replies. Since posting this I sat my son down and said that he needs to listen with his ears and speak when spoken to and I have also changed his sleep routine to he puts himself off to sleep after I tuck him in and the nursery say he's like a different child now! I think you ladies were right and maybe they were covering there backs whilst being a bit over cautious. I can totally under stand why they do this but they seem to think marc is super now total 360. Thank you so much for the reassurance and support it def helped calm me down.

Thanks again

Lynne

Jump to:  

Community

Popular