Are baby scan weights correct

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:43 pm 
Post subject: Are baby scan weights correct
So I'm 35+5 and today had a scan and they estimated babies current weight as 7lb 1oz and are saying it will possibly be a 10lb-er. Rolling Eyes

How accurate were your late scan ladies?

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:33 am 
Post subject:
Well I was told they estimate a weight gain of approx 1/2 lb a week for the last 8 weeks , so going off that if they're right with baby's current weight you're looking at more like 9lbs at full term Question
But to be honest they're not particularly good at guestimating , mine at 32+5 weeks they said he was 4lbs plus or minus 1/2lb and he was born 2 days later at 5lb 12 ozs Shocked so they were almost 50% out Laughing , because they use the length of certain bones and then abdominal and head circumferences it doesn't take into account that babies can be long and skinny or short and chubby Laughing some babies will have very big bellies and little skinny arms and legs etc. so they can be way out , either way Smile
I don't think the weight always equates to being big though Question
Sometimes babies can be heavy but not very big , my last daughter was my heaviest but was really tiny Question
My own daughter recently had her first and she was 9lbs 3 1/2 ozs Shocked and everyone was shocked at her weight as she didn't look like she weighed that much when she was born Laughing my daughters only about 5ft 2 and in size 3 shoes as well but she had her in water no drugs and no stitches or even grazes Shocked in fact the midwives never touched her or the baby until after she was born and had a cuddle Smile she did say after she was glad she didn't know she was going to be big because she thought it might have put her off, being told my son would have been about 9 1/2lbs at full term made me cross my legs but in reality the actual weight of the baby doesn't seem to make that much difference to the birth for most women , which is why most docs won't suggest a section for big babies unless you've had previous problems . Ive had a 2lb difference between babies with no difference in labour or pushing stage and my sis went from a 7lb're to a almost 10lb'er and had a shorter labour Question xx
RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:47 am 
Post subject:
My first I was guesstimated a birth weight of between 8 and 10lbs... And he was 8lb 12.5 but that was at 28 week's and he was a week late. This time at 28 week's she was already weighing 3lbs but got a guesstimated birth weight of 8lb4... Lewis I never had a growth scanaand he was 11lbs 2 weeks late.. But my mw believed hes only be 8lbs ish.. X
Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:36 am 
Post subject:
i asked my consultant how reliable the scan weights were and he said absolutely useless, they measure around the head then round the ribs and the length of the leg and use that, so theres no way they could tell your weight using this method. last time i was told my little girl would be 5lb if that and she was 8lb3!!!!
Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:18 pm 
Post subject:
ha ha seems everyone's is wrong. I wonder why they continue to use this system Rolling Eyes

Xxxpolxxx
Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:48 pm 
Post subject:
Makes you wonder but i doubt they would be able to find a system that is acurate. It hard tho cause i have no idea what size clothes to buy lolx
Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:43 pm 
Post subject:
Isabelle was 2lb 6oz at 26 weeks. Born at 10 days overdue weighing a lovely 10lb 3oz - midwife insisted she'd be no more than 8lb. I'd never trust scan weights!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular