Premature babies - when do they not need help?

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:52 pm 
Post subject:
Again I don't know much about premature babies but I can try to reassure you about problems with breastfeeding.

My daughter was very small when she was born (only a week early) and had a poor suck reflex. She could not latch on for 5 weeks - in which time I expressed and fed her via a bottle while also trying to get her to latch on.

It was really hard and I was very sad about the issues as the time, but by using a nipple shield as a stepping stone (from 4 weeks - it was easier for her to latch onto) I was then able to get her to latch on without a shield at about 5 weeks old and we've never looked back.

I personally feel that despite the issues I developed a very close bond with my daughter - lots of skin to skin and just spending time together is as important as breast feeding.

My daughter is now 5 months old and we are still breastfeeding and I intend to continue with a few feeds even once I wean her properly at 6 months.

Some people (some HVs & MWs) indicated to me that if my daughter had not latched on after a few weeks then it wasn't going to happen, especially not if I gave her a bottle/dummy etc. Obviously this is rubbish - it just depends on the baby and mother, I got my daughter to latch because I didnt give up! She had 3 different types of bottle (she had colic) and a dummy before I got her to latch on, this also seemed to make no difference to her.

Anyway sorry for the long message but I know how wretched I felt when she didnt latch and I wish someone had told me what I'm telling you!

So please dont spend time worrying about it, just enjoy your pregnancy!
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:52 am 
Post subject:
My daughter was born at 35+3 weighing 5lbs 9oz. She did not need to go to scbu and stayed with me in an incubator. She had a poor suck so I had to express and cup feed her.

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:31 am 
Post subject:
LauraG wrote:
My daughter was born at 35+3 weighing 5lbs 9oz. She did not need to go to scbu and stayed with me in an incubator. She had a poor suck so I had to express and cup feed her.

Hi Laura, how have you been? Not seen you on here in a while x

LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:36 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Jenna. Iv just been so busy, I dnt get chance to come on here.

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:35 pm 
Post subject:
LauraG wrote:
Hi Jenna. Iv just been so busy, I dnt get chance to come on here.

Ah right Smile how's your girls? x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular