back to back labour??

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:15 pm 
Post subject: back to back labour??
At my midwife appointment today she couldnt work out babies position.. She believes shes back to back with her arms and legs sprawled out.. Makes sense as to where I've been feeling movements.. I know I've got plenty of time for her to move and I'm having another scan next week so we will know for definate (the scan is for ggrowth) but I was wondering if any of you lovely ladies had had a back to back labour and what your experience was Smile thanks Smile x
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:31 pm 
Post subject:
I had a back to back labour. It was 17 hours long but I coped without any pain relief until the final 20 to minutes when they broke my waters. Then the labour progressed very quick and the pains got stronger and so used gas and air in those final 20 minutes. I only felt some contractions even though the monitor was picking up some I couldn't feel. No tears or anything either.

Please don't worry about.
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:00 pm 
Post subject:
Archie was back to back and I didn't really get any contractions at the front just backache and period type pains. Also it didnt make my labour longer as some people say, my active labour from 4cm to birth was 1hour 10 mins. I had two co-codamol and some gas and air so for a first labour it was fab xx

Maiyasmummy17
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:58 pm 
Post subject:
Maiya was back to back. Wasn't painful BUT I was pushing for SEVEN whole hours in every position possible and had burn marks on my bum where all the blood had gone there and I had to be cut and forceps. It was horrendous! I felt like I had been hit by a train! I would def try and get baby to turn and get in the correct position!! X
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:31 pm 
Post subject:
Frankie was back to back, I had no pain relief and went from 3cm to 10cm in about 2 hours! I had contractions in my back and front - after my waters went it was much more in my back. I had to lay on my side to push to help her turn and was pushing for a couple of hours.

I wouldn't worry too much as its not something you can influence! X
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:14 am 
Post subject:
my 3rd was back to back, didn't notice any different, his was speedy, born in half an hour xx
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:29 am 
Post subject:
My third labour was back to back , it can slow it down because in that position baby's head often isn't making as good contact with the cervix , it did with mine I got to 6 cms in about an hour and 1/2 from first contraction then stuck there for 2 hrs Rolling Eyes and then once my daughter turned (thanks to lots of contortions from me and helpful suggestions from the midwife Laughing ) the last bit from 6cms to birth was about 1/2 hr Shocked with about 2 pushes to get her out Smile
The contractions felt different but they weren't more painful as such just more in my back and bum than in my belly and I felt more pressure Question
I'd agree with Maiya's mummy though and try and get baby to turn now Smile
It's definately something you can try and prevent if you know in advance Smile
There are quite a few internet sites with tips on positioning babies, but getting on your hands and knees then lowering your head (lower than your hips) should work, being in your hands and knees encourages babies back to swing to the front and lowering your head means their head cam come out of the pelvis so they can physically turn Smile
Gently swaying your hips from side to side can help encourage baby to disengage as well so she can turn Smile
Once they're in a better position it can even encourage labour , so there is some truth in the wives tale about scrubbing floors Laughing
Babies can be back to back the whole labour and even born facing up but its generally easier for them to get through the birth canal if they're facing down and baby being in the optimal position can increase the effectiveness of your contractions and make the whole labour quicker Smile
There's a big difference though between a baby who's just back to back during labour and then turns for the pushing stage which is what normally happens, and giving birth to a star gazer , it sounds like some of the Ladies here had babies who were still not facing down during pushing which can make that stage take longer xx
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:17 am 
Post subject:
Both mine were bk to bk. First labour was 6 hours 30mins and 2nd labour was 1hr 23mins. I did get really strong backache but id say my labours were pretty easy.

klam
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:31 pm 
Post subject:
My 2nd (now 10 days old) was back to back. 36hrs of horrific back pain, didn't progress beyond 3 cm. eventually they broke my waters and she arrived within 1 & 1/2 hrs with just gas & air. Horrible at the time but 10 days later it all seems a distant memory!
MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:21 pm 
Post subject:
If she is back to back, ask your MW for exercises to try and turn her. I went back to back in early labour but managed to turn her back round before pushing her out with the MWs guidance

xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular