Baby always hungry...

Benjibux
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:23 pm 
Post subject: Baby always hungry...
She is one week old today and as of 12pm today she started getting hungry all the time, so far she has fed and slept very well but today is different. She wont settle down and cries when she is not being fed. We've tried winding her for a while, we got some burps and dirty nappies but she isn't settling down at-all and when I put my finger i her mouth she sucks on it as if she's hungry again.

Any advice? Crying or Very sad
Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:50 pm 
Post subject:
Are you BreastFeeding? Do you use a dummy? It is normal for babies to go through periods of increased hunger, usually linked to growth spurts. I can't really advise without more info. x

]
Benjibux
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:43 pm 
Post subject:
She breastfeeds. Doesnt use a dummy. The baby had jaundice for and for a few days was under the light we were told she would be sleepy as a result and may feed more.

The baby is sleeping right now but for how long is anyones guess. She was feeding every hour and has fed two to three times an hour and made plenty of nappies today (maybe 10).

Do you think this is normal?

Thank you for any help.
Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:23 am 
Post subject:
It seems quite extreme, it is probably just a phase though - I wouldnt expect it to continue.

How long does she feed for? Perhaps she's not getting enough in the first feed (babies often fall asleep on the boob and need to be roused to finish their meal) Does she fall asleep while feeding?

Please dont think that its an issue with your milk, its unlikely to be that, as your milk responds to demand, as long as you are feeding you will have milk. Has you're milk come in yet? Its highly likely that she is just going through a hungry, restless stage which should pass after a few days to a week.

My daughter is not a great sleeper during the day and when she was 9 weeks would sometimes not sleep all day! She did however always sleep well at night, only waking 1-2 times. She is the same now - she has two naps a day and a total of 1-2 hours sleep, then at night sleeps 7-5/6. My point is that despite what you are told about how your baby 'should' be - they dont all fit that mold and it might just be what they'e like.

]
libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:58 pm 
Post subject:
Its not unusual, particularly in the early stages. Jamie was like it a lot. If they go through a spurt they feed more to up your milk supply

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular